• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
how is raekwon annoying? I've never heard anyone say that about him in a rap thread before?

I remember a lot of people complaining about him around the internet when the argument between him and RZA was going on re: the new album. I can see it tbh, especially since it feels like he's always been a little insecure that his classic was not achieved on his own; the RZA clearly themed a lot of it and ghost rapped a lot of it.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I remember a lot of people complaining about him around the internet when the argument between him and RZA was going on re: the new album. I can see it tbh, especially since it feels like he's always been a little insecure that his classic was not achieved on his own; the RZA clearly themed a lot of it and ghost rapped a lot of it.

wait rza ghost rapped obfcl? I never heard that before. Though I wouldn't be surprised I think ghost rapping happens all the damn time and people just don't realize it.

On the low I've always felt Rae was a top 5 MC when he was in his prime, he just didn't have the gravitas and personality to get from out of the shadow of being in the WU like Ghost did.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Rae has never been top five to me. I just don't see it.

when Obfcl came out he was definitely top 5. I would even argue he was a better rapper than Jay at that time.

Big
Nas
Rae
Pac (maybe prodigy)
Jay

His guest verses on Ironman also helped. But by 2000-2001 he had fallen off not because he was rapping bad he just had put out bad albums

Jay-Z wasn't in anyone's top five in 1995-1996, let's be real. Ask an old head and they'll tell you that Biggie, Method Man, Nas, Rae, and Prodigy were the best. I know Prodigy gets credit for popularizing dun language but Rae was doing it a couple years before The Infamous came out. That being said I'm not sure anyone was better than Prodigy from late 1995 to 1996 (The Infamous+Hell on Earth). Nas was a better rapper technically, but verse for verse in 1995-1996? Nah...

Cappadonna wasn't joking on Wu Forever when he said half of NY was sounded like Raekwon. All this being said, personally I think Ghostface stole the show on Cuban Linx. But interestingly Rae stole the show on Ironman.

codhand

for what it's worth Nas has said that he bit Rae's style hard for It Was Written.

Rae was your favorite rapper's favorite rapper for a minute there.

and yeah OB4CL was a moment in time that will never repeat. classic, all that can be said. saying ghost was better than rae on it misses the point. additionally it was earlier and better than iron man by a not insignificant margin

and no need to be cautious about saying Rae was better than Jigga at that time, it really goes without saying.

Esch

Banned
wait rza ghost rapped obfcl? I never heard that before. Though I wouldn't be surprised I think ghost rapping happens all the damn time and people just don't realize it.

On the low I've always felt Rae was a top 5 MC when he was in his prime, he just didn't have the gravitas and personality to get from out of the shadow of being in the WU like Ghost did.

Lol no I mean Ghostface rapped a lot of it; OB4CL's quality certainly came in part from his contributions. And of course, RZA set the tone with his music.

Ghost was definitely my favorite parts of OB4CL.

Call me dough snatcher, just the brother for the rapture.
I handglide, holding on strong, hard to capture.
Extravagant, RZA bake the track and it's militant.
Then I react, like a convict, and start killing shit.
It's manifested, the Gods work like appliances.
Dealing in my cypher I revolve around sciences.

Still gets me feeling
NvsWTUZ.gif
in 2014 brehs

Raekwon needs to realize Wu brings out the best in him. His complaints about RZA's beats make sense in some ways, but like...it's not like he's been able to excel with the dude.

I liked Cuban Linx 2 as well, but Raekwon's more dependent on Wu-Tang than he likes to admit. All his Non-RZA solo efforts are decidedly Eh...

Nobodys like, Put on Immobilarity or The Lex Diamond Story just like nobody really wants to remember Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang and will try to forget Fly International Luxurious Art...

But it seems like he has to put out two mediocre projects before he swallows his pride and goes back to the Abbot for help.

Take a page out of Meth's book, Rae and learn what you need.

Haven't listened to much rap in awhile

I think I'll go through Enzo's last wrap-up since there's a lot of stuff there I haven't listened to yet

DominoKid

How ClearChannel blew up Iggy (and Jhene Aiko).

It’s harder than ever these days for a new singer to break into the music industry. But things just got a little easier for a lucky few: Those who land a coveted spot in the iHeartRadio “On the Verge” program run by Clear Channel, which has the largest reach of any radio outlet in the country.

While companies frequently invent ways to spotlight rising stars (MTV resurrected “Total Request Live” just to plug Ariana Grande’s new album), Clear Channel has made a particularly striking move, taking advantage of its massive audience to promote new singers. When an artist’s song is named “On the Verge,” all of the company’s radio stations are required to play that song at least 150 times.

Kwixotik

I got way too much new music today, I don't know how I'm going to listen to all of this. And they're all classics too, so it's not like I can just skim anything.

thabiz

Not any hip hop actually, been kinda post-punk and metal focused today. But in case you're still curious it's stuff from The Cure, Nick Cave, Sonic Youth, Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, Black Sabbath, Neil Young, Immortal, and some others.

nice choices.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Finally sat down and listened to that Antwon album. Shit is hot, had to send it to my girl immediately and tell her what were gonna do to it.

Also Bronson is the best. I don't fuck around when I say that. Consistent. Dude is consistent.

Kwixotik

Finally sat down and listened to that Antwon album. Shit is hot, had to send it to my girl immediately and tell her what were gonna do to it.

Also Bronson is the best. I don't fuck around when I say that. Consistent. Dude is consistent.

He's definitely up there, if for nothing else than because the dude is just entertaining. He's entertaining on a level above everyone else. And he can rap.

IrishNinja

admittedly i skimmed it, but...does this add anything new? we've known clear channel as the industry's pimps for quite a while now
you don't hear someone like iggy blow up without thinking about shit like this...its like, my girl was saying yesterday that after the 1,000th time hearing it, she came around perry & juicy's track; that's clear channel in effect mode

i can't make it through this fuckery
i once worked a temp gig on the beach out here for some shit just like this, if joe showed up...damn i don't even know

FINALLY

Tokubetsu

My favorite rap album of the year so far. I think it's his best album.

Kwixotik

I was listening to The Cure's "Plainsong" and I was like "Deniro Farrar should rap over this"

and then I realized he did on the Based World beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom