• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominator

I know this is random as shit, but I keep going back to Danny Brown's Old. I've been obsessed with this since it came out but I go back to it weekly. Its just so damn good it might be in my top 10 all-time.

lmao got Thug Lovin

8ISIdcZ.png
@ Bobby Brown exiting the helicopter

Kwixotik

I know this is random as shit, but I keep going back to Danny Brown's Old. I've been obsessed with this since it came out but I go back to it weekly. Its just so damn good it might be in my top 10 all-time.

Have you listened to The Hybrid or XXX? I think both are leagues better

it's a pretty dope album. i think silicon valley rejuvenated my love for smokin and drinkin. but still the first half is better.

xxx is >>>

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
That post about him eating ass/getting his ass eaten was one of the best things I've read in ages, true or not. (Drake)

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=121313182

Old is overall a pretty decent project, but yeah in retrospect I agree that XXX makes it look kinda weak. Hard to live up to a classic. Good luck Kendrick.

But I'd put more stock in Kendrick since I think he's more internally driven while Danny seems more about trying to please his audience, as evidenced in his twitter meltdowns over a perceived lack of love.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Lol no I mean Ghostface rapped a lot of it; OB4CL's quality certainly came in part from his contributions. And of course, RZA set the tone with his music.

Ahh cool I thought you meant like ghostwrite. lol

Jay-Z wasn't in anyone's top five in 1995-1996, let's be real. Ask an old head and they'll tell you that Biggie, Method Man, Nas, Rae, and Prodigy were the best. I know Prodigy gets credit for popularizing dun language but Rae was doing it a couple years before The Infamous came out. That being said I'm not sure anyone was better than Prodigy from late 1995 to 1996 (The Infamous+Hell on Earth). Nas was a better rapper technically, but verse for verse in 1995-1996? Nah...

Cappadonna wasn't joking on Wu Forever when he said half of NY was sounded like Raekwon. All this being said, personally I think Ghostface stole the show on Cuban Linx. But interestingly Rae stole the show on Ironman.

Your right meth was the 5th guy back then but I knew dudes who would put Pac on their list even then based on his "authenticity"

for what it's worth Nas has said that he bit Rae's style hard for It Was Written.

Rae was your favorite rapper's favorite rapper for a minute there.

and yeah OB4CL was a moment in time that will never repeat. classic, all that can be said. saying ghost was better than rae on it misses the point. additionally it was earlier and better than iron man by a not insignificant margin

and no need to be cautious about saying Rae was better than Jigga at that time, it really goes without saying.

yep I got to agree with you but man Rae's rep hardly even exist now outside of NYC, WU Heads, and Rap Nerds. Like I said as nice as he was he never had the persona to popular outside of those 3 circles. Even RZA and GZA who aren't mainstream at all were able to expand into different markets.

On another note I am not surprised Fat Joe is part of a pyramid scheme. If you can sell crack and promote violence without an ounce of a guilty conscience you can definitely sell false hope without one.

IrishNinja

On another note I am not surprised Fat Joe is part of a pyramid scheme. If you can sell crack and promote violence without an ounce of a guilty conscience you can definitely sell false hope without one.

when you put it like that it's almost surprising we don't see this more often than dudes staying broke & workin on they conspiracy theory game

IrishNinja

ya'll know that one thing you won't do for your girl eventually becomes everything right

cudder gon scoop up all ya'lls beas one day

Esch

Banned
Old would be a pretty awesome followup to a classic if side B was non existent. In truth, music with abrupt stylistic changes in the middle of a piece is rarely going to be good, like a post 2008 Kanye beat. It can't be helped. It's jarring. It ruins the flow of the album. It's lazy composition. Things should flow, like a river or a 5 series. And you definitely shouldn't make bad EDM part of your rap album.

Esch

Banned
So why is Drake dissing macklemore? I realized it's very irrational to hate the guy apart from that corny Kendrick award text. But this just seems like jealousy. Sorry breh, Macklemore buzzed more than you.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
when you put it like that it's almost surprising we don't see this more often than dudes staying broke & workin on they conspiracy theory game

He's the third rapper to do it jada and juelz already sold out. So I'm pretty sure this shit is a trend. Keep in mind I am almost 100% sure some country singers out there have jumped on this before. It stinks of something small town preacher scam artist would hire a artist to go to a few towns to do.

Trick Daddy defends his "Eat A Booty Gang."

"If you n***as won't eat yo girl ass, I will"

Today is officially Cudder day.

Man I've heard the rumor Trick is STD Sick for years so I'm not surprised

IrishNinja

see juelz needs to get whatever paper he can cause he strikes me as the kinda dude i wouldn't hire to guard an empty barn

jada though....i mean after his last few team-ups, i guess i'm not surprised either. mixtape $ & street cred prolly get you a 20 pack of chicken mcnuggets but only when they left em under the lamp too long & the lead cook forgave him for the mariah features

Old would be a pretty awesome followup to a classic if side B was non existent. In truth, music with abrupt stylistic changes in the middle of a piece is rarely going to be good, like a post 2008 Kanye beat. It can't be helped. It's jarring. It ruins the flow of the album. It's lazy composition. Things should flow, like a river or a 5 series. And you definitely shouldn't make bad EDM part of your rap album.

I want his next album to be more like side a

But I also really want another project where he just does uk grime. That track with him and the British guy surprisingly worked imo

IrishNinja

let's rank conway's post 07 releases brehs

808s & Heartbreak < Watch the Throne < Yeezus < My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

some days i could prolly switch 2 & 3 spot tho

overcast

Not necessary comparing XXX and Kanye's discography.

Old is a great album that falls short of XXX for sure. Excited to see where Danny goes next, think it'll be an improvement.

What's up with these dudes not releasing one offs or features lately though?

Tokubetsu

Not necessary comparing XXX and Kanye's discography.

Old is a great album that falls short of XXX for sure. Excited to see where Danny goes next, think it'll be an improvement.

What's up with these dudes not releasing one offs or features lately though?

XXX might be the better album but I still think danny/fools gold made the right call with Old. As long as djs etc like him, he'll eat because that entire second half is blendable into their sets or remixable. Which was probably the intention.

Kwixotik

I gotta say I do like drinkin n smokin Smokin n drinkin, but a whole half an album dedicated to edm rap party songs and none bested Blueberry for me. Also it's real awkward when Danny goes into that random emo bit on drinking and smoking that doesn't fit the vibe.

Stress party, get away, hope that these problems just go away / Right there in my face, I ignore it every day

You had the first half of the album to talk about that shit man, why you gotta put that in this song?

Tokubetsu

I gotta say I do like drinkin n smokin Smokin n drinkin, but a whole half an album dedicated to edm rap party songs and none bested Blueberry for me. Also it's real awkward when Danny goes into that random emo bit on drinking and smoking that doesn't fit the vibe.

You had the first half of the album to talk about that shit man, why you gotta put that in this song?

He's just being real man. Like when you come out the bathroom and hit the bar for drink #3. All compassion leaves your face and empathy leaves your face. You think "wow I'm a piece of shit haha" but you spot the girl you're about to fuck in the parking lot and you realize that this is what it means to be human.

RP912

Banned
I'm curious...how yall feel about the roots?

I swear Game Theory has got to be their best album period. 2006 was such a great year for hip hop.

Kwixotik

Speaking of Danny Brown, I'm trying to kill time right now in the Detroit airport do I'm gonna ramble. I've only met one person from Detroit and he was a random on the street in the town I went to college. He came up to bum a cig (which I didn't have) and then followed me around for like 30 mins telling me his life story before finally trying to get me to buy drugs from him. I said no but asked him if he knew about Danny Brown (he had never heard of him) and he was like "Nah I don't like rap, I only listen to skrillex" (actual quote). Overall disappointing encounter.

It's always weird people-watching at the airport. So many slightly different looking doppelgangers of people I know.

Edit: just saw a dude on a segway unicycle.. what is the world coming to?

codhand

not that you would, just sayin it's a crazy story.

random st guy: hey buy me some drugs.
kwix: no. but dat XXX tho...... no? ok, later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom