• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I have really high hopes for Destiny. Big fan of Bungie's work with Halo (which sorta ends up biting you in the ass with regards to Destiny getting all the PS shit heh; hope I can afford a PS4 by the time it comes out), and I believe in where they want to take Destiny, and make it more than just what Borderlands is, or what an MMO is.

My only concerns are that the guns are all meh or generic looking (lacking personality of Borderlands guns) and the loot hook, which hasn't worked out well for me anywhere else before, will tire me. I would be more concerned about PvP balancing but I don't really plan on engaging in it much at all. It also seems like theres a fuckload of complexity when it comes to customization that sounds daunting, but is probably good for the long run and explained well in the final game.

I consistently hear that you really have to play it to understand why it's so good, and doing so makes people believers, so I'm pretty ready to be convinced. Right now it's looking like Borderlands x ME3 MP x GW2, and in a good way.

Cudder

I have really high hopes for Destiny. Big fan of Bungie's work with Halo (which sorta ends up biting you in the ass with regards to Destiny getting all the PS shit heh; hope I can afford a PS4 by the time it comes out), and I believe in where they want to take Destiny, and make it more than just what Borderlands is, or what an MMO is.

My only concerns are that the guns are all meh or generic looking (lacking personality of Borderlands guns) and the loot hook, which hasn't worked out well for me anywhere else before, will tire me. I would be more concerned about PvP balancing but I don't really plan on engaging in it much at all. It also seems like theres a fuckload of complexity when it comes to customization that sounds daunting, but is probably good for the long run and explained well in the final game.

I consistently hear that you really have to play it to understand why it's so good, and doing so makes people believers, so I'm pretty ready to be convinced. Right now it's looking like Borderlands x ME3 MP x GW2, and in a good way.

I've only played the Alpha so far but nothing about the game was too complex. In terms of items, you literally just equip the items/weapons with the higher number. Where the game shines for me is just the level of exploration and wonder. Surveying these landscapes with friends and finding new secrets and areas is fuckign incredible. It looks so, so, so good too.

Detox

i'm pretty casual with shooters so correct me where i'm wrong, i'm just familiar with:
1) standard military PvP
2) classic arena type shooters (slow quake/doom etc ones and twitchy unreal ones)
3) squad-based (tom clancy)

on the surface though, you're kinda hinting at some stuff i fancy like DC-era sega gameplay (best of arcade type - steep but rewarding curves, short campaigns meant for replay/mastery) and the one element still celebrated by Souls/etc fans, risk/reward balance that punishes those who won't learn vs coddling them.
i didn't mean to call your knowledge of the genre into question, I just thought you were classifying all multiplayer pvp shooters as being competitive. I would like a shooter that has a high skill curve rewarding both individual and teamwork skill and is fun to watch, I don't where that would fit into the three classifications in your post nor what it would look like it will be its own type of game borrowing elements from other, but I think we will eventually get a game that fills the role of being a shooter and rewards in a similar fashion to mobas. Right now the only developers I would expect to fill this void is valve perhaps with l4d3 depending on how much they reinvent it which I would expect since a lot has changed since l4d2, it isn't a quick expansion type sequel and they know what people expect now since they made significant patches to CS go to make it what it as popular as it is now) or a different game; cliffy b's next project; epic with ut4 depending on how much they deviate from the classic formula and maybe even splash damage with dirty bomb they got a solid basis right now in alpha to build off. Evolve looks interesting but I don't think they chose the right model, $60 game and paid DLC model doesn't allow for this kind of community to build also requires one side to be a solo player.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I just want competitive shooters to take some damn risks, that's all. It seems like almost everything is applying some of the same persistent-progression-affects-gameplay ethos in different ways. When it hit Halo hard I knew that shit was a wrap for the genre.

That's why Splatoon got the sort of reaction it did, it approached an integral part of any game, movement, from a new perspective. I could've swore I've seen an idea like Splatoons done somewhere before in a competitive shooter, but apparently not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not really a picky gamer, I'll give any half-assed shooter a whirl because I can shootbang and make my own fun, but the trends hurt diversity in the genre, or at least diversity in what used to excite me about the genre.

I'm interested in what Cliffy is doing because he's been responsible for some really innovative stuff in all shooters, not just FPS, right up until he left Epic. I just want him to surprise me and not just give me some F2P Arena-shooter-meets-TF2 ordeal.

Courage

Just confirm Ye production and I already know my AOTY
DOtOmAo.png

Esch

Banned
Desi / brown brehs, they uploaded the funniest bollywood movie ever made to Netflix, Andaz Apna Apna. Immediately had to throw that jawn on

tumblr_inline_n21c2h5fQx1s18a9i.gif

Esch

Banned
is it good funny. or bad funny?
Bad funny in pun - tastic indian fashion. There are some great setups for the jokes and scenes, salman and aamir are kinda deranged in it. I actually don't think I've ever seen salman act as weird as he did in this movie. Kinda feels like everyone in the cast is really high. I actually even like the songs, because instead of duck tale scenes in Sweden they're funnily woven into the plot. Yet if you felt like, you could still skip it.

Plus, prime karishma (lawdddd) and raveena tandon.

Looks amazing, can't wait for a sale and a capable pc
Pretty much where I'm at too. "Year of the RPG" and this is the only one that's come out so far that actually has me excited, first person grid shit like Might and Magic X looks sooo
flabfif-png.47
. Stuff like Transistor, Banner Saga and Dragonfall, while very well received, just don't scratch that itch for big sprawling open maps, isometric, D&D, elves and swords and magic and shit that D:OS has in spades. It's looking like the best BG clone we'll get until Pillars and Planescape come out
in 2016

Pretty much where I'm at too. "Year of the RPG" and this is the only one that's come out so far that actually has me excited, first person grid shit like Might and Magic X looks sooo
flabfif-png.47
. Stuff like Transistor, Banner Saga and Dragonfall, while very well received, just don't scratch that itch for big sprawling open maps, isometric, D&D, elves and swords and magic and shit that D:OS has in spades. It's looking like the best BG clone we'll get until Pillars and Planescape come out
in 2016

God, the iso RPG market picking back up is the best thing that's happened to gaming in a decade. OTOH I still just sit around playing BG/BG2 EE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom