• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Tom and Jerry: Are we all in agreement that Jerry was the bad guy?"
Hanna-Barbera can suck a bag of dicks.

Redeemable HB cartoons:

Huckleberry Hound
Quick Draw McGraw
Top Cat
Scooby-Doo (the original only)
Space Ghost (chiefly because of its resurrection by adultswim 40 years after its initial run)
Hong Kong Phooey

everything else ranged from meh to abomination.

Esch

Banned
I just can't imagine how you'd think Sparkle Motion and the motivational speaking aspects weren't intentionally outright comedic.

The existential parts are atuoid; but honestly I think it's mocking the "cool trippy teacher" trope. There's too much obvious comedy for me to try and take the rest serious
The motivational speaking scene and Swayze in general are hilarious, and is probably my favorite part of the movie. I'm not denying that the movie is intentionally absurdist at points. I just think that there's a lot of 'serious' feeling metaphysical/philosophical content in the movie. There's no rule saying it can't be both? But then again, I never had any love period for intentionalbad film or media. I guess it's why i'll never love Riff Raff.

Shook son.

Nah, I just don't care for whiners.

riotous

Banned
The motivational speaking scene and Swayze in general are hilarious, and is probably my favorite part of the movie. I'm not denying that the movie is intentionally absurdist at points. I just think that there's a lot of 'serious' feeling metaphysical/philosophical content in the movie. There's no rule saying it can't be both? But then again, I never had any love period for intentionalbad film or media. I guess it's why i'll never love Riff Raff.

Well I don't think it's intentionally bad. Just obviously intentionally comedic. You called it an unintentional comedy.

I honestly mostly like the sparkle motion/swayze stuff. Haven't watched the film in years but "I'm beginning to doubt your commitment to sparkle motion!" Is said by me at least once a year in jest lol.

Nah, I just don't care for whiners.

How ironic. Lighten up.

Esch

Banned
Well I don't think it's intentionally bad. Just obviously intentionally comedic. You called it an unintentional comedy.

I honestly mostly like the sparkle motion/swayze stuff. Haven't watched the film in years but "I'm beginning to doubt your commitment to sparkle motion!" Is said by me at least once a year in jest lol.
Na, i said that it works as an unintentional comedy, not that it is one. It's primarily a drama film, even if it has comedic elements inside of it. As a drama film, it's goofy and heavy handed.
How ironic. Lighten up.

You're the one who's
jgHnaDLOVeSLi.png
at someone not liking a movie you do, not me

riotous

Banned
Na, i said that it works as an unintentional comedy, not that it is one. It's primarily a drama film, even if it has comedic elements inside of it. As a drama film, it's goofy and heavy handed.

I can agree the dramatic aspects are goofy.

Doesn't help that Drew Barrymore is just a terrible actress and that's probably her worst acting ever.

There was enough comedy there though and other sort of irreverent just "watching teenagers interact" that the otherwise bad plot wasn't much of a distraction. Just weird and not worth putting too much thought into.

Anyone analysing the plot in depth as if it was so meaningful was definitely a stoned 18 year old lol.

edit: I jokingly said you guys try Tok hard.. My last post you claimed was whining was also a joke... You cried and told me to leave the thread. Lol, whiny baby need his binky? Hungy baby need some Cheerios?

Esch

Banned
I can agree the dramatic aspects are goofy.

Doesn't help that Drew Barrymore is just a terrible actress and that's probably her worst acting ever.

There was enough comedy there though and other sort of irreverent just "watching teenagers interact" that the otherwise bad plot wasn't much of a distraction. Just weird and not worth putting too much thought into.

Anyone analysing the plot in depth as if it was so meaningful was definitely a stoned 18 year old lol.
But the meat of the plot were the progression of Donnie's supposed mental issues and how they'd leak into his real life interactions. You can't just ignore that much of the movie, come on.

edit: I jokingly said you guys try Tok hard.. My last post you claimed was whining was also a joke... You cried and told me to leave the thread. Lol, whiny baby need his binky? Hungy baby need some Cheerios?

jgHnaDLOVeSLi.png
you also claimed we were gossipers, yet make underhanded Drake like comments. I see why you're a fan

riotous

Banned
jgHnaDLOVeSLi.png
you also claimed we were gossipers, yet make underhanded Drake like comments. I see why you're a fan

I put a winky smiley on that post and everything man. Was just joking; don't mind the gossiping in here at all. But let's not pretend it isn't gossip lol.

Esch

Banned
I put a winky smiley on that post and everything man. Was just joking; don't mind the gossiping in here at all. But let's not pretend it isn't gossip lol.

It absolutely is, and I even posted some just now. But we gotta do something between major album drops. You gotta realize that I'm not being that serious either. Being a crass hater is just my schtick, like toku being mysterious or PhoenixDark acting like he's in the closet.

riotous

Banned
esch: word man! And I like to give people shit but it's all in jest.

I like Sittin' Here but never felt the need to any any other Diz songs to my catalog. (Catalogue since we talkin Brit)

Piss fight aside, here's Jeezy talking about his issues with Freddie Gibbs.

seems like whatever to me.

Freddie Gibbs ft Young Jeezy & T.I - Pull Up

Eminem - Talk To Me (ft.Young Jeezy & Freddie Gibbs)

Idk about it all. The Em song was a bonus track on a Jeezy album, and it's just Em on the hook.

I thought Gibbs verse on the TI track was good but overall the song wasn't really anything. Maybe it's the case nobody wants to work with Gibbs, but generally I'm happy at what Gibbs is doing now, his music when he was on CTE wasn't all that good if you ask me.

Esch

Banned
Either way Gibbs was never going to blow. In a way, his whole schtick is being that dude who's too real for the industry, gangsta gibbs etc. He has a nice indie following and he should continue down that road.

his music certainly isn't better now he has left CTE and before you bring up Madlib crap, that been in the making since he was with CTE

BFK was before his CTE days, so really all we had when he was with Jeezy were singles.

Young Jeezy - Run DMC feat. Freddie Gibbs

Young Jeezy feat. Freddie Gibbs - Rough

So aside from these and the singles I had posted above...yeaaah I prefer non-CTE Gibbs. I think he does great on the songs they're just not really his best works.

oh god lol
on lupe:

"The n**** also be dressin like a combination of Ellen n Morpheus yo. Anytime he out in public he be lookin like he jus got outta a long term relationship wit Erykah Badu. Except he aint did that. Stop all foolishness son."

Esch

Banned

I was about to say he fell off, but wow:

9. Lupe Fiasco – Nothin against the homie Wasalu but he need to get his mind right yo. Son is on some wild insecure shit…actin like he done read every book ever written n be like a 87th degree black belt in over 14 different martial arts forms… Like he wasnt at the local YMCA takin Kung Fu classes like some regular niggas be doin. Nigga you wasnt sparrin wit stunt doubles from old Run Run Shaw movies durin ya childhood n pullin rickshaws in Shanghai n gettin paid in wontons…sleepin on hot dim sum baskets n steel chopsticks to learn how to ignore pain n whatever. You wasnt wrestlin komodo dragons n catchin scorpions wit ya teeth…or some shit that goes beyond what regular niggas learn at they little Karate dojos.

masterclass. perfect.

this describes every single infowars reading, herbal supplement taking, libertarian, 'grand master' martial artist ever

My bad, it's not.

I misread a date, even so though it's with DJ Drama and it doesn't really sound like the other tracks that he did with CTE. Idk man, I just prefer Gibbs in the lane he's in and like that sound better than the other stuff I linked that he did with CTE imprint on it.

Okay, basically what I'm trying to insinuate is that Gibbs on CTE and Gibbs after CTE makes the same type of music. Madlib project is just a left field. You really listen to ESGN and BFK back to back and think wow he sounds a lot better off the CTE imprint? Because I don't, the sound is really the same shit as well as the lane of both projects

IrishNinja

PD nailed it with Darko, OST is awesome

Brehs, I watched Coming To America for the first time last night and that shit was so (not) terrible. Couldn't stop laughing.

my girl watches it like once a year, shit is the definition of classic - hope you took esh's advice & watched Trading Places as well, there's some fun crossover

Hanna-Barbera can suck a bag of dicks.

related: ive been wanting to watch those old "Houses in the future" ones i saw as a kid, where every appliance has a shtick...anyone else remember those?

Piss fight aside, here's Jeezy talking about his issues with Freddie Gibbs.

seems like whatever to me.

his music certainly isn't better now he has left CTE and before you bring up Madlib crap, that been in the making since he was with CTE

what was his better CTE stuff, then? because that madlib crap & world's finest or whatever were both great

You gotta realize that I'm not being that serious either. Being a crass hater is just my schtick, like toku being mysterious or PhoenixDark acting like he's in the closet.

let's do more member shticks

cheddahz - constant illuminati references in his sketches
siddx - angrily having VD
count - downlow huge jigga fan
des - fills the void with music
etc etc, see harmless fun

Detox

Gibbs and Jeezy complemented each other well. I would love to hear the version of its tha world that was predominantly collabos between the two.

IrishNinja

ye freestlye was nice...not sure what to make of black jesus yet

n brought to life by a stoner praying mantis/parody of a rapper who was sent to Earth by the Gungans of planet Naboo to detonate some kinda male dignity transmission override all over the planet

I love Kendrick Lemars stuff. Besides Cartoon and Cereal are there any other unreleased songs he has? I already have his 3 albums. Thanks a bunch for anyone that knows.

I see UK Grime being discussed. I don't know anything about that so maybe I'd get some recommendations here? I think it's time for me to explore new dimensions.

I have really fallen off following rap albums, besides maybe Piñata, this year. Only occasional one-off tracks. This summer I've been spinning old DOOM records and other old favorites of mine so I'm in a need of some rejuvenation within this genre.

Whatever just point me to some really good recent tapes.

I'm filling this for help.

Musical Taste:
• Pick a coast to rep - Hmm South I guess?
• Favorite Artist - DOOM probably
• Best feature killer - I don't know. Danny Brown?
• Favourite producer - Just Blaze, Madlib, MikeWill, RZA ... too many to mention
• Favourite album - Madvillain / ATliens / Liquid Swords
• What's in your playlist right now? - Viktor Vaughn, Jay Electronica, GZA

GAF-Hop Discusses:
• Rank Kanye's albums: MBDTF >>>>> rest
• Who is the best Wu-Tang member? Ghostface Killah
• Jay Z or Nas? Nas?
• Biggie or Pac? Pac
• What’s your dream album/project? Madlib & DOOM (just gimme another one)
• Who is the next big rapper/producer? Rapper Young Thug maybe?
• Who is the most overrated/underrated emcee? Underrated definitely Gangsta Gibbs
• Have you been known to eat ass? No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom