• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Man, I was just listening to Vol. 2 in the car and I just realized how complex some of those 97-99 beats were. Some of that shit had so many layers.

Peep the Reservoir Dogs beat for example

A couple different phases inside the beat as far as what's going on, not the easiest production to rap over as far as percussion and melody. Kind of interesting to see how people attacked it, might be the reason why it's one of my favorite cypher tracks. It's like the extra credit assignment your calc teacher sends home and everyone tries as hard as they can and you get credit based on how far you get and your work, but nobody really gets it except for the chinese kid who's going to cram school (Jay-Z, Styles P and Jadakiss).

And then beats became kinda simple, and now they're complex again.

Man, I was just listening to Vol. 2 in the car and I just realized how complex some of those 97-99 beats were. Some of that shit had so many layers.

A couple different phases inside the beat as far as what's going on, not the easiest production to rap over as far as percussion and melody. Kind of interesting to see how people attacked it, might be the reason why it's one of my favorite cypher tracks. It's like the extra credit assignment your calc teacher sends home and everyone tries as hard as they can and you get credit based on how far you get and your work, but nobody really gets it except for the chinese kid who's going to cram school (Jay-Z, Styles P and Jadakiss).

pretend like rapping over a loop of the Shaft theme is complex brehs.

hell, a blueprint already existed just in case.

Just smoked up and clicked this. Havent heard that album in years, song is so good.

Yeah, and that shit is corny.

This can't be life.
qIRHMEM.png

IrishNinja

i was just bumping vol 2 the other day & i know its not one of his best works, but there's some timeless tracks on there for sure

and i respect PD's nod to young MC even if dude aged kinda...corinly

like my boy used to tell me years ago how bust a move was dancefloor poison

illadelph

this is the only Young MC song I've heard besides Bust a Move, and I like both of em. I got nothing bad to say about the dude

and Vol. 2 ranks as the forth best Jay-Z album for me, after RD, the BP, and Black Album of course

Esch

Banned
i was just bumping vol 2 the other day & i know its not one of his best works, but there's some timeless tracks on there for sure

and i respect PD's nod to young MC even if dude aged kinda...corinly

like my boy used to tell me years ago how bust a move was dancefloor poison

Vol.2 is cool for what it is; a higher-end street rap mixtape. There's very little introspection, just straight bangers bangers bangers. It's like a Meek Mill joint, but more talented in terms of song construction and has better standout tracks.

Bust a move, and any other young mc tracks, are fodder for class of 1990 high school reunion request-a-song lists. And I like 80s rap.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I've got an extra destiny code. First one to post a legit cool gif gets it.

I'll pm you tomorrow. Goin to bed.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I've got an extra destiny code. First one to post a legit cool gif gets it.

I'll pm you tomorrow. Goin to bed.

Man, it's an 11 GB download. Give people some time so they can DL it!

I already have it though, so I won't dance for your amusement!

cacophony

"Breaking: Israel launches Operation Protective Edge against Hamas in Gaza"
"Israel starts Ground Offensive in Gaza"
"Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors"
"I think I figured out why we will never meet an Alien race."
"Alone..."
"Tom and Jerry: Are we all in agreement that Jerry was the bad guy?"

Now i remember why i never go to the OT anymore

Cudder

meh, love him or hate him i'd rather Hopsin rap about the shit he raps about on the ill mind series than the bullshit nothingness when he started. can't hate on the man trying to inject some positivity in rap. whether you find him corny or not, id rather kids follow this dude now than before.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Fellow R&B bros should check out that Majid Jordan EP if you're into that chill nu-R&B sound. Really smooth. Kinda up the same alley as something like Bondax or Jacques Greene. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkJJPXmYHKk

Also, that new The-Dream EP has been slept on a bit. Funny story, I threw "Outkast" on a playlist and when it came up I couldn't remember who it was but when I heard the falsetto I was like damn, this girl's got a sexy voice. Then the voice changed up and I realized it was Terius. ��

PS I realize we have an R&B thread but it's really slow. Not really worth trying to discuss anything in there.

TCRS

Banned
lets have some british hip-hop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpo8G5YK9ok

Musical Taste:
• Pick a coast to rep - ehm... sussex coast is the closest, so sussex coast ftw!
• Favorite Artist - in hip-hop? probably wu-tang
• Best feature killer - wat
• Favourite producer - don't know
• Favourite album - enter the wu-tang
• What's in your playlist right now? - little dee - light work

GAF-Hop Discusses:
• Rank Kanye's albums: I only have two, graduation and 808. so 1. graduation, 2. 808
• Who is the best Wu-Tang member? - Ol' Dirty Bastard
• Jay Z or Nas? - Nas
• Biggie or Pac? - tough one... I would say biggie
• What’s your dream album/project? - idk
• Who is the next big rapper/producer? - idk
• Who is the most overrated/underrated emcee? - underrated little dee definitely. overrated.. jay z.
• Have you been known to eat ass? - no

as you can see I'm not really a hip-hop guy but I still like listening to some hip-hop every now and then.

GAF-Hop Discusses:
• Rank Kanye's albums: I only have two, graduation and 808. so 1. graduation, 2. 808
• Who is the best Wu-Tang member? - Ol' Dirty Bastard
• Jay Z or Nas? - Nas
• Biggie or Pac? - tough one... I would say biggie
• What’s your dream album/project? - idk
• Who is the next big rapper/producer? - idk
• Who is the most overrated/underrated emcee? - underrated little dee definitely. overrated.. jay z.
• Have you been known to eat ass? - no

as you can see I'm not really a hip-hop guy but I still like listening to some hip-hop every now and then.

grinch-smile-o.gif

Welcome, breh

Welcome brother. Let us celebrate while Jay retroactively ruins his legacy by releasing wack albums nonstop. Two in a row, you know the third is inevitable. When I see Jay with an afro I'm going to get quite a boner in anticipation for whatever wack shit he's cooking up with top producers.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's the kind of movie that's cool when you're stoned and 18 years old but it doesn't really hold up well these days IMO.

Esch

Banned
It's the kind of movie that's cool when you're stoned and 18 years old but it doesn't really hold up well these days IMO.
It actually works as an unintentional comedy. The hilarious rebel late 90s bad kids, the goofy tone, the bunny, bad cg, Jake gyllenhaals perpetual deadface. It's like one of those shitty horror movies from Netflix mashed up with the existentialism of a
fight club, but with a slightly better budget.

Edit; kinda sad that I didn't watch it in high school. It just looked too stupid, but I think I'd have enjoyed it more.

riotous

Banned
It actually works as an unintentional comedy. The hilarious rebel late 90s bad kids, the goofy tone, the bunny

The movie takes place in the 80's not the 90's.. and they were intentionally douchey and it was supposed to be funny.. the goofy tone is intentional as well.. the bunny is intentionally ridiculous.

How in the world could anyone think Sparkle Motion / etc. wasn't intentional comedy?

LOL.. it's a funny and entertaining movie. You guys try too hard.

I really liked Donnie Darko the first couple times I saw it. It's like a collection of some of my favorite tropes, form the crazy old woman warning them to the highschool angst. I have next to no experience with "school drama" or traditional school settings like that (homeschooled from 3rd to 9th grade, then essentially went to community college for high school), so movies that feature it tend to fascinate me.

Plus it has a really good soundtrack, I was in love with Darko's gf, and it features one of my GOAT 80s songs in a montage scene. I can't hate on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw9Nu_RK9b0

Esch

Banned
The movie takes place in the 80's not the 90's.. and they were intentionally douchey and it was supposed to be funny.. the goofy tone is intentional as well.. the bunny is intentionally ridiculous.

How in the world could anyone think Sparkle Motion / etc. wasn't intentional comedy?

LOL.. it's a funny and entertaining movie. You guys try too hard.
Nah, it's pretty boring even then. Plus a lot of the other bits of the movie are kinda heavy handed why are we here existential bits, so if it was intentionally bad from the get go they sure went to a lot of work to shoehorn in some substance.

Also this is the second time in the last couple pages you're whining about the thread and posters in it, go ahead and
camby.png
if you don't like it

riotous

Banned
Nah, it's pretty boring even then. Plus a lot of the other bits of the movie are kinda heavy handed why are we here existential bits, so if it was intentionally bad from the get go they sure went to a lot of work to shoehorn in some substance.

I just can't imagine how you'd think Sparkle Motion and the motivational speaking aspects weren't intentionally outright comedic.

The existential parts are atuoid; but honestly I think it's mocking the "cool trippy teacher" trope. There's too much obvious comedy for me to try and take the rest serious

Considering you didn't even catch what decade the movie took place in I can't imagine you paid that much attention son.

Also this is the second time in the last couple pages you're whining about the thread and posters in it, go ahead and
camby.png
if you don't like it

Shook son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom