• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

this kim k game is actually kinda dope. im only playing it for possible kanye cameos tho cause im a true Kanye stan, maybe theres like snippets of the new album in there or some shit
Keep fighting the good fight Caco.

Friend saw Freddie Gibbs in front of Roscoe's in Hollywood today. They even exchanged a few words (friend was in the car). Meanwhile I was stuck busting my ass at work.

Esch

Banned
this kim k game is actually kinda dope. im only playing it for possible kanye cameos tho cause im a true Kanye stan, maybe theres like snippets of the new album in there or some shit

fiddy.gif

HiResDes

I see UK Grime being discussed. I don't know anything about that so maybe I'd get some recommendations here? I think it's time for me to explore new dimensions.

I have really fallen off following rap albums, besides maybe Piñata, this year. Only occasional one-off tracks. This summer I've been spinning old DOOM records and other old favorites of mine so I'm in a need of some rejuvenation within this genre.

Whatever just point me to some really good recent tapes.

I'm filling this for help.

Musical Taste:
• Pick a coast to rep - Hmm South I guess?
• Favorite Artist - DOOM probably
• Best feature killer - I don't know. Danny Brown?
• Favourite producer - Just Blaze, Madlib, MikeWill, RZA ... too many to mention
• Favourite album - Madvillain / ATliens / Liquid Swords
• What's in your playlist right now? - Viktor Vaughn, Jay Electronica, GZA

GAF-Hop Discusses:
• Rank Kanye's albums: MBDTF >>>>> rest
• Who is the best Wu-Tang member? Ghostface Killah
• Jay Z or Nas? Nas?
• Biggie or Pac? Pac
• What’s your dream album/project? Madlib & DOOM (just gimme another one)
• Who is the next big rapper/producer? Rapper Young Thug maybe?
• Who is the most overrated/underrated emcee? Underrated definitely Gangsta Gibbs
• Have you been known to eat ass? No
HIRESDES Q2 RAPUP 2014

I snubbed Apathy though, the Connecticut album is super dope.

I'll give Juelz Santana props for not sounded lost on southern records back in 2004/2005 when the south started really taking over. But like a Harlem father, he disappeared shortly thereafter. I still remember when people were seriously saying him and Wayne were the best rappers out - granted these were people with low credit scores pursuing liberal arts degrees, but the point remains that at one point Juelz was seen as the next NY rapper. And he completely wasted the opportunity.

VeeP

Hey guys, I need your help.

Back in 2007 I wanna say, my cousin use to play this song in his car. It was about a minute/minute thirty/two minutes long. It was a Rick Ross rap, and all I remember from the lyrics was him saying something along the lines of "Roscoes chicken and waffles".

I know thats almost nothing to go on, but if anyone knows the name let me know.

RP912

Banned
I keep trying to bump that sza album but it's like not clicking with me. The album feels like a bad ending to a video game :/.

The new one has some jams but I agree overall it's just ok. Still, Julia sounds like a hit - or would be if some 80 pound white chick sung it and got it featured in an indie film.

Esch

Banned
TDE is still great. Kendrick then Rashad for me right now. sza is third.

They're aite, i just dislike how people on the internet trying too hard to make them seem like a supergroup. Almost all the main guys are off right now and their junior varsity squad looking better than the starters like you said. Nah, I'm not giving them dap like that.

RP912

Banned
The main problem with TDE is good concept but bad execution. I love their work but there's no direction. It's like a battle royal between social commentary, gang banging, clubbing, and weed smoking topics.

They're aite, i just dislike how people on the internet trying too hard to make them seem like a supergroup. Almost all the main guys are off right now and their junior varsity squad looking better than the starters like you said. Nah, I'm not giving them dap like that.

They could've capitalized on Black Hippy more.

Black Hippy - Rolling Stone

I knew Jay Rock and Kendrick before but this got me pumped about TDE in general...but now, I just don't really care.

I think people overrate them due to focusing on the potential moreso than the actual results, and to pat themselves on the back as "real rap fans"; sure you can still smugly declare they're better than Young Money, but in 2014 does it mean anything anymore? Q has multiple projects out now, it's pretty clear what he is. Same with Soul. Jay Rock has a lot of potential, I think if you paired him with the right writers and producers he could easily drop a great west coast album, perhaps a companion piece to GKMC from another perspective. Rashad's project was dope and the "potential" argument fits with him.

Then there's Kendrick. Is he Vince Young or Andrew Luck? A great intro season followed by mediocrity, or the real deal? I believe in him, and still think he's on another level from his peers in the game. Dude is going to the studio creating demos, brehs. He's not out here like Meek Mills/Cole/Wale/etc wasting hours in the studio making songs every day, wasting concepts and lyrics on throwaway shit that will land on a mixtape or never be released. He's tinkering with sounds, experimenting with production, trying out lyrics, etc...like an actual artist in an actual creative process. And when he's ready to say what he wants to say, he'll use those demos as the blueprint. That's dope to me...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'll give Juelz Santana props for not sounded lost on southern records back in 2004/2005 when the south started really taking over. But like a Harlem father, he disappeared shortly thereafter. I still remember when people were seriously saying him and Wayne were the best rappers out - granted these were people with low credit scores pursuing liberal arts degrees, but the point remains that at one point Juelz was seen as the next NY rapper. And he completely wasted the opportunity.
I don't know about wasted. Didn't his studio get raided and then he got hit with illness or something?

overcast

Good discussion on TDE. I feel like Rock's album has quite a bit of pressure on it to show the group isn't all disappointing albums in 2014. Q's next album will be dope. I promise this time guys.

DominoKid

The main problem with TDE is good concept but bad execution. I love their work but there's no direction. It's like a battle royal between social commentary, gang banging, clubbing, and weed smoking topics.

that's the direction though. they rap well about regular ass experiences over (usually) interesting production. and soul throws in some #StayWoke to spice it up.

Esch

Banned
You can't sum TDE up. The one thing that does set them apart in the pantheon of rap crews is they're all different looking, sounding dudes rapping mostly about different shit with some concurrences here and there.

I just don't think the other guys on TDE have the same knack for song concepts as Kenneth Duckmack does. And that would be aite if they were catchy, witty or unique enough to make up that mark. But they're really not. One thing all the TDE guys do have in common is they have pretty good taste in music to rap over. That's the kind of thing that'll keep you a critical darling, if you don't win on the charts too much.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

14406134999_53341a88d4_o.gif

Dereck

I still remember when people were seriously saying him and Wayne were the best rappers out - granted these were people with low credit scores pursuing liberal arts degrees, but the point remains that at one point Juelz was seen as the next NY rapper. And he completely wasted the opportunity.
KbiG5xl.png

CRS

Man, his show a couple years ago was so on point. Q is a small to decent club/venue performer that needs to feed (heh) off the crowd for energy. I can't imagine him sounding great at a festival.

Mediocre, Kelela murked her an hour before. Shit was mixed horribly though, no vocals, bass sounding a pair of amped Beats headphones.

oof. I figured last night would kick off the second stage of her coming out party.

Although getting your shine stolen by Kelela isn't the worst thing that could happen. Tough competition. Hopefully it was just standard festival mix/equipment problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom