• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember watching some puff documentary way back. He was in the gym talking about how you can't tour unless your in really good shape.

He's dead right too. When a performer gets gassed after 10 or 20 minutes, it's noticeable and disappointing.

DominoKid

I remember watching some puff documentary way back. He was in the gym talking about how you can't tour unless your in really good shape.

He's dead right too. When a performer gets gassed after 10 or 20 minutes, it's noticeable and disappointing.

Kast talked about LA Reid making them run around and just spit constantly to get their endurance up. Or something like that. I forget the specifics.

Tokubetsu

Kast talked about LA Reid making them run around and just spit constantly to get their endurance up. Or something like that. I forget the specifics.

Yea I remember hearing/reading about this too. He used to make them do laps around the studio while rapping for tour practice. Something like that.

Kwixotik

Craziest is mick jagger. That dude is 111 and still runs all over the place on stage

Q quit lean right?

I haven't seen anything that would suggest that. Last interview I watched with him he was describing what seemed like a pretty serious habit and acting like it was no big deal.

overcast

I just don't think the other guys on TDE have the same knack for song concepts as Kenneth Duckmack does. And that would be aite if they were catchy, witty or unique enough to make up that mark. But they're really not. One thing all the TDE guys do have in common is they have pretty good taste in music to rap over. That's the kind of thing that'll keep you a critical darling, if you don't win on the charts too much.
Q won the charts though :]
Craziest is mick jagger. That dude is 111 and still runs all over the place on stage

Q quit lean right?
Mick is a badass all things considered. Naw Q sounded dead hooked last time he interviewed.

The Dungeon Family had been doing that for awhile, which is partially why they got signed. Both had great breath control, but would run out of energy after a few songs. So Reid did indeed have them run around and rhyme, hit the gym, etc. That type of artist development is non existent today, and it rears its head on tour when dudes have no mic presence, run out of breath, and can't put on a decent show.

It's been very interesting watching Kendrick transform from a small club performer with limited breath control to a great performer who can do it at any venue. Physically he's gotten bigger too due to hitting the gym. Going back to TDE for a sec...the dedication he shows is like night and day when compared to Q, Jay Rock, and Soul. It almost reminds me of how Jay would be on tour chilling between shows while the rest of Rocafella partied, bought shit, fucked bitches...and ultimately spent up all their cash. Kendrick acts like he knows he's going to be around for awhile whereas Q just looks like he's having fun while he can.

Vorheez

Was goin through some old records I had and came across Luda's Chicken & Beer... Damn man, I forgot how good this album was. Its nearly flawless and one of the greatest hip hop records ever. Its a shame to see what Luda used to be, he really was at the top of the game at one point.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Said it in the other thread but I'll say it here...

That Shabazz Palaces sounds like chillwave hip-hop especially the opening.

Esch

Banned
Kanye West said:
I think just my usual pattern is like that. It's like a pendulum. The pendulum gains momentum by swinging in the other direction. Even lyrically, I think about certain lines that I say on my new single, which is called "All Day," that usually Jay would say, but Jay's not on there. So I say, All day, nigga, it's Ye, nigga. Shopping for the winter, it's just May, nigga. Ball so hard, man, this shit cray, nigga. You ain't getting money unless you got eight figures. Right? Jay would have said that.

A1Bny.png

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Brahs, I'm ready to throw that album OT up if we get Beyonce'd, best believe.

Enzo whens the next fgc tournament where there will be discounts on fight sticks? Looking for a 360 stick bit it's working out crazy expensive
Not for a long while. San Diego Comic-con is this weekend, so maybe you can hope for a discount deal, but realistically you might have to wait until September.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Already going back to the "ball so hard" and "cray" huh. Yeah, that sounds like Jay alright. Circa 2013.

Recycle bin classic incoming

PlayDat

We haven't had 2 years of back to back solo albums since Graduation -> 808s. Don't bullshit us with the "no promotion thing" this time.

Excited.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
We all know lyrics have never been Ye's strength. It's really funny to me that he tweeted lyrics of Black Skinhead ahead of the album's release. Loved the Yeezus, but reading the lyrics only makes me appreciate it less.
Agreed. Not just reading, but even just listening. I think Black Skinhead suffers the most from the twisted/incorrect references. For most of the other songs it doesn't matter either way because they're just great sonically. I might throw I'm In It in there too.

Cheddahz

Banned
not hip hop related, but I saw alex g live last night and it was dope

i'm ready for the new kanye album, just hoping it's not full of "i'm in it" songs

HiResDes

Kendrick has incredible stage presence now. Since he closed the entire three day festival he had to handle the brunt of the entire three stage crowd and he did so with confidence and star power. He ran through the majority of GKMC sometimes performing shortened versions or doing West coast inspired reduces. He rapped old verses over West coast gangsta rap classics. The people that were next to me were definitely stans in every sense of the world. Many of them had just came to see Kendrick so when he stumbled over words or started going off beat no one batted an eye. They were too enamored in the hype and their energy overtook any critical sense they might have had. Kendrick is definitely a full fledged superstar performer, but some of the missteps definitely detracted from the experience for me. He also basically went into sermon mode near the end and performed ADHD after talking about women, weed, and weather earlier. It's cool to be a walking contradiction, but then you don't have the right to get overly pedantic. Rashad was less flawed.

PBY

Banned
We all know lyrics have never been Ye's strength. It's really funny to me that he tweeted lyrics of Black Skinhead ahead of the album's release. Loved the Yeezus, but reading the lyrics only makes me appreciate it less.

I want to hear this, but I need to wait till I'm in the right setting. When I have 0 distractions so I can just focus on the music. My expectations are high.

Ehh don't disagree, ye is all about the vibe.

But this is gonna be a dumb banger. Which is cool.

Esch

Banned
That's the young gawd

After about 15 minutes in the lounge, he moves into the studio and connects his laptop to the speakers, playing Jay Rock’s verse over and over, flipping around tracks, and sipping from a bottle of water. Later he’ll chomp on an order of volcano salmon sushi. He tends to eat healthy—salads, baked chicken, lots of water. He plays basketball twice a week because, as Jay Z once said, rapping is “like an exercise.” And unlike many rappers—including his TDE labelmates ScHoolboy Q and Ab-Soul—he rarely drinks and doesn’t smoke or sip lean. All the homies know not to bother him when he’s busy in the lab. Sometimes he kicks everyone out of the studio so he can play instrumentals all night long, alone. He’s been known to cut off his phone for months at a time.

Esch

Banned
Not gonna lie, I'm gonna enjoy it when his sophomore slump breaks your heart Esch. Your grief will be my nourishment.
*junior

And nah, it wouldn't tbh unless it's truly unsalvageable terrible like Nastradamus/Kingdom Come/Oxymoron/These Days... I haven't even been cheerleading Kenneth like that.

You should keep an eye out for CountBlackule though. If TDE gets a hat trick of shitty a squad releases he'll commit that.

Edit:
YG-Bickin Back Bein Bool (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom