• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jokes aside I'm a bit surprised you guys felt that way about MMLP. I understand the aging argument but I still think it's a classic album.

Also shocked the inclusion of Late Registration in some lists didn't spawn the Kanye cycle...oh wait
CD>LR

Esch

Banned
The production is great. Play it in your car and be amazed, especially by the drums. But song and lyrically it's just so...dumb and embarrassing. And not even in an entertaining Doggystyle/Chronic way. Multiple rappers I have no interest in hearing again, not enough Snoop.
East coast hip hop nerd bias. Go push up your glasses and bump some Talib Kweli.

The production is great. Play it in your car and be amazed, especially by the drums. But song and lyrically it's just so...dumb and embarrassing. And not even in an entertaining Doggystyle/Chronic way. Multiple rappers I have no interest in hearing again, not enough Snoop.

Where else do I get to hear about ninjas bustin nuts in bitches eyes tho

Syph Medwes: MegaPhilosophy

East coast hip hop nerd bias. Go push up your glasses and bump some Talib Kweli.

Nah.

Hitman? Ms. Roq? Kokane? Nah. So many trash verses over dope production, a complete waste. 2001 should have been Kurupt's coming out party like The Chronic was for Snoop.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
BtMOB8QCMAAJITT.jpg

Sophomore Albums. Pick 3.

For Me: IWW, LR and MMLP

Outkast- ATLiens
Dr. Dre- Chronic 2001
B.I.G.- Life After Death

CRS

2001 is such a memorable album for me. There was no party that didn't have a song from 2001 while I was growing up. It'll always be a favorite, regardless of the somewhat weak half.

Esch

Banned
Syph Medwes: MegaPhilosophy

Nah.

Hitman? Ms. Roq? Kokane? Nah. So many trash verses over dope production, a complete waste. 2001 should have been Kurupt's coming out party like The Chronic was for Snoop.
I'm not going to let a self proclaimed Pac stan tell me about subpar verses from weed carriers being album ruiners
iSQ5ymn2Qiahz.png

CRS

Also, Jonwayne put out a Cassette compliation out on vinyl.

Honestly, I don't know how I would feel if I'd have to listen to 2001 for the first time in 2014. I would probably still like it but it wouldn't be as memorable or shit, I might still love it.

I'm not going to let a self proclaimed Pac stan tell me about subpar verses from weed carriers being album ruiners
iSQ5ymn2Qiahz.png

Ever seen me put a Pac album high on a "best albums" list?
t6s2I0h.png

Obviously AEOM is great but I wouldn't even put that very high on a list, unless we're just talking double albums.

PlayDat

Yeah I've only listened to a third of those sophomore albums. My collection skews heavily toward stuff from the past decade or so. The few classics I do have are mostly east coast. All I know of 2001 is Xxplosive.

Also, Jonwayne put out a Cassette compliation out on vinyl.

Honestly, I don't know how I would feel if I'd have to listen to 2001 for the first time in 2014. I would probably still like it but it wouldn't be as memorable or shit, I might still love it.

I'm really late on this guy's music. Rap Album One would have been top 5 for me last year had I listened to it then.

Grabbed the mp3 version of Cassette 3 just now. I don't have the money or space for vinyl at the moment.

Esch

Banned
Yeah I've only listened to a third of those sophomore albums. My collection skews heavily toward stuff from the past decade or so. The few classics I do have are mostly east coast. All I know of 2001 is Xxplosive.
You should listen to all of those except Lupe Fiasco.

Tokubetsu

I definitely don't think Ice Cube's discog gets enough recognition around here. First 3-4 Cube albums should be mandatory listens. Especially if you once stanned Lupe.

Esch

Banned
Out of that list Count posted I haven't listened to My Lifetime Vol. 1 and Public Enemy. Need to get on with listening to Public Enemy.
Vol. 1 is one my favorite Jay cut outside of the classic. Highly recommended. Skip What Girls Like and Sunshine and you'll love it. Play it in your car at nighttime with the windows down in view of a skyline. That PE album is 100% classic material though.
I definitely don't think Ice Cube's discog gets enough recognition around here. First 3-4 Cube albums should be mandatory listens. Especially if you once stanned Lupe.

Top 5 DOA.

illadelph

All Eyez On Me, while perhaps the most well-known, is somehow my least favorite Pac album.

Life After Death blows it away, easily the GOAT hip-hop double album.

overcast

Wow. Some of you haven't heard 2001? I hear songs from that album all the damn time everywhere. Crazy impact.

I like Ice Cube better than Public Enemy for sure, Death Certificate is more my style than Takes a Nation.

Probably makes quite a few gaffers blood boil seeing Lupe with those other albums lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom