• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
this post was the illest ether.

some better movies:

Trespass
Juice
Menace II Society
New Jack City
Dead Presidents
Colors
Crooklyn
New Jersey Drive
Strapped

Shit, Set It Off is better than that POS IMO.
queenfdjbs.gif

#teamkillaseason

I'd add Fresh to that list as well such a great movie one of my favorite movies.

codhand

Common album is good at the half way mark where I stopped, although it sounds more like No ID featuring Common. Some of the beats sound like Yeezus rejects, but not meant in an overly derogatory way. Just not sure all of the beats fit Common's, suave lyricism. Features so far have been on point.

big ander

ik everyone here knows chance is a cornball, but being that I think I like him more overall than the average person I feel like bringing up how goddamn weird he's been about lollapalooza streaming his set. Dude's posted solely about it on social media for what feels like months now? And most of them are about how he's against the idea and will never do it again or something? what a weird fucking thing to get hung up on. Chance doesn't even put on a good show. Maybe that's why he's worried about the livestream, cause it could easily burst what's left of his hype bubble when everyone realizes he's terrible live. So sus to vocally care that much about something like this without backing it up with reasoning.

RP912

Banned
Menace holding up compared to boyz though....

When boyz in the hood comes on, it's a must to watch it...meanwhile menace 2 society feels heavy and dated. It's a good flick but mehhh compared to the superior dead presidents.

Esch

Banned
and he got Lyor. Oh boy....

smart dumb nikkas haven't taken an L this hard since the white man blew the nose off the Sphinx.

jblhR70zHLLcft.png
Lyor Cohen is like the #1 target for our smart dumb friends. I have no illusions about what he is; an entertainment exec who does entertainment exec things. But say what you want about him, he does interviews and at least attempts transparency from time to time. Should be an awesome interview. It's too bad Jigga would never ever do a combat jack stint for the full annihilation.

Both Boyz In Tha Hood and Menace II Society have aged poorly but in different ways. Boyz In That Hood is a good film but the musical score is so fucking cheesy; that sax just sounds horrible.

Personally I don't think Menace is a good movie. It feels like a rehash of Boyz In The Hood but edgier, with less of a message and far worse writing. Also the voice over narration is weak. That being said it has some great scenes but overall I just didn't like it.

PlayDat

ik everyone here knows chance is a cornball, but being that I think I like him more overall than the average person I feel like bringing up how goddamn weird he's been about lollapalooza streaming his set. Dude's posted solely about it on social media for what feels like months now? And most of them are about how he's against the idea and will never do it again or something? what a weird fucking thing to get hung up on. Chance doesn't even put on a good show. Maybe that's why he's worried about the livestream, cause it could easily burst what's left of his hype bubble when everyone realizes he's terrible live. So sus to vocally care that much about something like this without backing it up with reasoning.

He was great when I saw him open for Joey Badass. Then again that was over a year ago in a basement with only a couple hundred people.

I just had the scary thought that he might end up on Kanye's next album. Ye likes looking out for his Chicago people. Lupe on LR, Keef and King L on Yeezus.
iWPPSfIS9Fc25.png

btw Ander I'm digging the Julia Brown album you linked in the cassette thread a while ago. Not what I usually go for, but it's nice.

Hellion

Waka meeting the Snitch Deity himself Haitian jack.
haitian-jack-and-waka.jpg

iDf3bKEbFKPdx.gif

Edit: Apparently this pic is a year old. It was new to me. *yeshurg* *Deletes Waka from ipod*

Both Boyz In Tha Hood and Menace II Society have aged poorly but in different ways. Boyz In That Hood is a good film but the musical score is so fucking cheesy; that sax just sounds horrible.

Personally I don't think Menace is a good movie. It feels like a rehash of Boyz In The Hood but edgier, with less of a message and far worse writing. Also the voice over narration is weak. That being said it has some great scenes but overall I just didn't like it.

Menace has aged far worse than Boyz, it doesn't help that menace is the weaker of the two.

codhand

boyz in the hood is cheese to the max, fake oscar bait, cuba gooding lol.

menace is pure magic, plus O-dog one of the most referenced fictional characters in rap, also Saafir

plus, plus, "II" to mean "to", is better than having a "z" replace an "s" any day!

big ander

Punch ft. Jay Rock & BJ The Chicago Kid - The Project Mind. DEAD @ Punch getting a single before Jay Rock bwahahahahahha L of the year contender. Good song though.
hah man Rock. this is alright though yeah.
He was great when I saw him open for Joey Badass. Then again that was over a year ago in a basement with only a couple hundred people.

I just had the scary thought that he might end up on Kanye's next album. Ye likes looking out for his Chicago people. Lupe on LR, Keef and King L on Yeezus.
iWPPSfIS9Fc25.png

btw Ander I'm digging the Julia Brown album you linked in the cassette thread a while ago. Not what I usually go for, but it's nice.
Everyone else says he's good live so he must've just fucked us over. He played my school and I couldn't find anyone who had a good time. he was headlining a show with 2-3 artists and people were psyched for him. then he made everyone wait forever, barely rapped, didn't really seem to care for the crowd, and was out after about 25 minutes. And this was right in the wake of Acid rap, which had just caught on at my school over those past couple weeks. Everyone was amped for him and he was terrible.

And awesome glad you like it. I love that album so much, easily my 2013-defining release

thabiz

boyz and menace fall into the kids realm of movies. great for the time period, but only that time period. outside of the cultural window, it doesnt work.

Nas and/or Wu Tang post 1999-2000. Mostly masterclasses in shitty hook writing.

Yet even Nas has a host of post 1999 songs that are staples of his live set or work great live. Just off the top of my head.

-Got Yourself a Gun
-One Mic
-Get Down
-Made You Look
-I Can
-Hip Hop Is Dead
-Nasty
-Locomotive
-Bye Baby
-The Don
-Trust

I can't think of much of any Wu stuff off the top of my head that works live post 1999, even solo stuff outside of some stuff from Supreme Clientele and Be Easy by Ghost.

IrishNinja

Waka meeting the Snitch Deity himself Haitian jack.
haitian-jack-and-waka.jpg

forgot about this dude, just spent the last 10 minutes reading google shit about jack...damn

boyz and menace fall into the kids realm of movies. great for the time period, but only that time period. outside of the cultural window, it doesnt work.

ugh, i wouldn't put em with kids but i do take your point about the era & all

juice is the goat rapper movie btw. who's the man is also acceptable.

was just about to ask about Juice, i recall rating that one highly but the OST was my shit. just watched who's the man last month or so, i don't think there's another film with that many rapper cameos but i could be wrong

Friday is the goat rapper movie. Then Mean Guns, then Ghosts of Mars.

friday's known, never saw the other too tho

ps this thread got locked cause people were tryin to take away budden's only victory in life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom