• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you liked some of his shit? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Persian Rugs and a few songs off the first tape were good.

That single w/ Drake was kinda weak but I'll give the new tape a listen.

no i do, that was totally me; i need to go call the plumber on account of a leak nahmean
but yeah i do like him i just don't think he's as good as the weeknd or even as close as some people say. I do enjoy his music though.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
no i do, that was totally me; i need to go call the plumber on account of a leak nahmean
but yeah i do like him i just don't think he's as good as the weeknd or even as close as some people say. I do enjoy his music though.
Ohhh, I thought it was a comment saying so much shit was gonna clog you up aka turd overload. My bad, lol.

HiResDes

Bogish Boy Vol. 1 features some of the hardest hitting bass hit I've heard in a while. Moreover, the whole album features the same savage mood and tempo as the opening track. It never lets up, never goes soft, never stops for keen insight or consciousness and is all the better for it. There aren't even skits on this shit. I wouldn't say its a high concept, but it's cohesive if only because of its zero'd in focus.

Ca$his can rap pretty well, has a basic yet very passable flow with a southern drawl, and all of his hooks are solely concerned with solidifying his status as a trap staple and thugged out woadie. The album isn't versatile whatsoever, so don't even think about playing this if you don't intend on riding on a fool or resisting the urge to turn down even for the laws of gravity itself. This is the album I'm throwing on if I find a kilo of cocaine in my truck and I'm months behind on rent. It's lack of fucks given is refreshing and reminds me of those old Cash Money and No Limit tapes.

Strong 7/10

HiResDes

Not all of those albums, luckily the requests so far have been albums that I had already started checking out. I'm spending more time on Doppelgangaz right now for example, which is why you might not see a reply to that request today.

Black Milk - Detroit's New Dance Show

8ISIdcZ.png

HiResDes

Yung Lean seems cool as fuck, I don't get the haters. He likes Daniel Johnston, Skinny Puppy, and Zoey Deschanel and is super chill.

PlayDat

Was Gaf Hop big on Black and Brown a few years ago? Danny gets plenty of love these days but I feel like most people weren't checking for him like that when it came out. It didn't make ya'll top ten that year.

HiResDes

Was Gaf Hop big on Black and Brown a few years ago? Danny gets plenty of love these days but I feel like most people weren't checking for him like that when it came out. It didn't make ya'll top ten that year.

It was pretty good, but not all that, I like Danny's mixtapes better

HiResDes

Alright done with rap for tonight, gonna re-listen to Forever Changes, probably the most underrated album made within the past century.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Alright done with rap for tonight, gonna re-listen to Forever Changes, probably the most underrated album made within the past century.
Alone Again Or is a goat calibur track. So fucking good. A House is Not a Motel is nice too. Great album.

CoolOff

I pretty much agree with all of Des points on Nitty Scott, but I've played it a lot more than most 7/10s. Still I Rise is probably my favourite track of it at the moment.

That Rustie/Danny Brown track is fire.

It didn't make top 10 because a better Danny Brown project came out that year and Black and Brown was filled with old verses from Danny Brown

I give it a 2/5. I expected much worse cause it wasn't as bad as I expected, it's almost so bad it's good territory, but in the end it's mostly boring with a confusing plot that went all over the place and made no sense most of the time.

codhand

it's almost so bad it's good territory, but in the end it's mostly boring with a confusing plot that went all over the place and made no sense most of the time.

this post was the illest ether.

some better movies:

Trespass
Juice
Menace II Society
New Jack City
Dead Presidents
Colors
Crooklyn
New Jersey Drive
Strapped

Shit, Set It Off is better than that POS IMO.
queenfdjbs.gif

#teamkillaseason

Halo 2

Banned
this post was the illest ether.

some better movies:

Trespass
Juice
Menace II Society
New Jack City
Dead Presidents
Colors
Crooklyn
New Jersey Drive
Strapped

Shit, Set It Off is better than that POS IMO.

#teamkillaseason
crooklyn has the be the greatest movie title I've seen.

HiResDes

i must be the only one who thinks that danny / rustie track is corny as hell and sounding really dated

I don't know how I feel about it yet. I just feel like guys like Arca and Evian Christ have shown me the true potential of the trap sound and now everything else doesn't sound as good.

HiResDes

Damn I slept on some serious heat. There's a guy I never heard of that happens to be endorsed by Talib Kweli that released a top ten project.

I wonder what he'd be like if he got signed to the Roc. Might have been a great humbler for him. Bad investment by Hov though.
Like Jay Electronica? He'd be the same IMO, but would actually release a mixtape or two (no album). We troll Cole but he figured out how the game works and mastered it, single wise.

My problem with Joey is his lazy faux Jamaican flow. Shit sounds horrible, results in verses that sound like mud, and put him in a box sonically. He can't rap over much of anything outside of boom bap and piano loops.

He willingly turned himself into a regional artist. That retro shit might have been hot in other cities for awhile but now only some kids in NY give a shit about him (I'm sure he can get good shows overseas tho). And most would probably rather see Ferg live and have fun instead of getting beat upside the head with "lyrics" and no hooks. What part of 90s rap are they listening to? They clearly skipped the part about having good hooks that translate live (Cream, Represent, Buck Em Down, etc etc). Underground rappers today either skip the hook or turn it into a mini verse - both of which rarely work unless you have a crazy beat.

RP912

Banned
One thing that's killing me about this new generation of rappers is the need of throwback necrophilia.

I love A$AP Mob but they constantly trying to "prove" a point with the constant throwback flow and songs. It's like some rappers have this identity crisis instead of trying to bring something new to the table.

Hence why I don't really fuck with Joey Bada$$. I tried to bump one of his mixtapes and woke up around track 6 with drool coming out of my mouth. If you going to do the boom bap monotone ripply rap shit...do it right.

Esch

Banned
getting beat upside the head with "lyrics" and no hooks. What part of 90s rap are they listening to? They clearly skipped the part about having good hooks that translate live (Cream, Represent, Buck Em Down, etc etc). Underground rappers today either skip the hook or turn it into a mini verse - both of which rarely work unless you have a crazy beat.
Nas and/or Wu Tang post 1999-2000. Mostly masterclasses in shitty hook writing.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
One thing that's killing me about this new generation of rappers is the need of throwback necrophilia.

I love A$AP Mob but they constantly trying to "prove" a point with the constant throwback flow and songs. It's like some rappers have this identity crisis instead of trying to bring something new to the table.

Hence why I don't really fuck with Joey Bada$$. I tried to bump one of his mixtapes and woke up around track 6 with drool coming out of my mouth. If you going to do the boom bap monotone ripply rap shit...do it right.

Idk I think young artist mastering throwback flows and putting them on a few songs an album (with a possible old school rapper feature) is a great way to get older listeners to give them a chance while at the same time confirming that like most rap fans they are real heads themselves. Add to that the fact they interact with older rappers all the time in their day to day performing and it makes sense.

Nothing is worse than say an artist pulling a Lupe when he was dissing tribe and fronting like his whole style came from a vacuum. Rappers should know who their Rap Gods were before they got on and pay a little homage.

RP912

Banned
Idk I think young artist mastering throwback flows and putting them on a few songs an album (with a possible old school rapper feature) is a great way to get older listeners to give them a chance while at the same time confirming that like most rap fans they are real heads themselves. Add to that the fact they interact with older rappers all the time in their day to day performing and it makes sense.

Nothing is worse than say an artist pulling a Lupe when he was dissing tribe and fronting like his whole style came from a vacuum. Rappers should know who their Rap Gods were before they got on and pay a little homage.

true but when it becomes a gimmick its another story. I'm all for paying homage and letting old heads know "we respect the craft" but you have some rappers that run with it a little bit too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom