• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courage

"I'm higher than Swizz Beatz hairline"
ruxMe0z.png

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
|OT11| New York Lost

Probably the most relevant thing that happened over the course of this OT.

stop it with the NY hate, what is this a basketball thread now.... lol

Anyhow we should just give credit to aubrey for having the hottest song of the summer

Gaf Hop [OT 11] Zero to 100 with 89 more to go

Zeus Molecules

I just listened to Smoke DZA LCR and thats the best song he's dropped in a looooong time. I might have to mess with his next project

PlayDat

Zeroh's new album, Pool Party is good brehs. It's a little different that I expected though. He doesn't rap at all on this, purely instrumentals. Same outer space type production.

Listen.

Envoûter

Eat

I ran through awfulalterations again recently and was able to appreciate a lot more than I did initially now that I'm more familiar with this dude's style. I don't mean that as a knock on Pool Party at all btw.

Link to the whole thing.

HiResDes

Here's a sneakpeak of what I'm currently listening to:

• Chuuwee - Cool World
  • Bas - Last Winter
  • Allen Poe - Pocket Full of Ohms
  • Waka Flocka - I Can't Rap Vol. 1
  • Noelz Vedere - Bittersweet Victory
  • Young Scooter - 80s Baby
  • Calez - Ceito
  • Chris Rivers - Wonderlands of Misery 2
  • Collins - Sincerely The Mixtape
  • MC Melodee - Coolin EP
  • Dizzy Wright - State of Mind
  • K. Camp - Slumlords
  • Don Trip - Randy Savage
  • Alley Boy - Alley Shakur
  • Fredo Starr- Made in the Streets
  • Gerald Walker - Yesterday You Said Tomorrow
  • IsiahThe3rd - Homeland
  • IsiahThe3rd - Adventures Of The 3rd Part III: Rise Of The 3rd
  • King Mez - Long Live The King
  • Maffew Ragazino - Signed To The Streets 2
  • MaLLy - The Colors of Black
  • Mickey Factz - 740 Park Avenue
  • Nell - Boyz N The Hood
  • Dave East - Black Rose
  • Fly Union - Small Victories
  • King Louie - TONY
  • Pell - Floating While Dreaming
  • NItty Scott The MC - The Art of Chill
  • Peter Jackson - Good Company
  • Stat Quo - ATLA Vol. 1
  • Taylor Bennet - Mainstream Music
  • Rome Cee - Earthside
  • Agacee - Scholar LP
  • Blanco & The Jacka - Game Over
  • Blanco & The Jacka - The Misfits
  • Creative Gold - Circa 93
  • GQ - Rated Oakland
  • Jimmy Kelso - City of Gods
  • Ca$his - Bogish Boy Vol. 1
  • Kevin Abstract - MTV1987
  • Montage - Sinners
  • Niko Is - Good Blood
  • Noah Caine - Rookie Season
  • The Pyrvmids - Black American Dream
  • Russ - Silence
  • Russ - Pink Elephant
  • ScottyATL - OTR2SJ
  • TreaZon - Trust & Betrayal
  • Rocko - Poet
  • The Doppelgangaz - Peace Kehd
  • Reks -Eyes Watching God
  • Nore - Noreaster EP
  • Divine & ScienZe - Divine Scienze 2
  • Junglepussy - Satisfaction Guaranteed

If you're interested in hearing about any of these, let me know, will prompt me to prioritize listening of that specific project

injurai

Banned
omfg des, how do you even manage?

I just have a fuzzy ethereal theoretical backlog of stuff that I'm pretty certain I would enjoy listening to.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh shit, didn't know there was a new Nell tape out (an EP apparently). Always enjoy his shit.

Junglepussy is good but that's all I've heard off that list.

HiResDes

How's the Young Scooter tape?

It's as good or better in most ways than Street Lottery, which was previously his best tape. It doesn't have a standout like Columbia (Drugs is close), but it is more consistent, and features some really hilarious lines and catchy ass trap anthems. It's obviously better when turned up really loud and listening in the whip, but Scooter has never sounded more competent, and the project actually sounds is fluid enough to sound like an album. I think I like it more than Trap House 4. Scooter still can't rap really all too well, but his charisma and wide circle of dope friends to lend features keeps 80s Baby entertaining. The cover is amazing too

Strong 6/10

back when I thought Joey had next

smh @ me
We all took a colossal L on that one, pretty sure he was the 2012 rookie of the year in the GAF-Hop awards. That being said, that tape was still great:
Daily Routine
World Domination
Snakes
  • The Doppelgangaz - Peace Kehd
IIRC, this is a departure from their past sound, but they still come correct with their off-the-wall, prescription drug-induced multis. I'm a lame because I streamed this back when it came out, didn't buy it, and haven't listened to it since. Don't remember a lot of discussion in the community, I wanna see what your (and on the low, CRS') thoughts on it are.

Esch

Banned
1999.... Shone through quick. Slick new mixtape paint sloughed off fast to reveal a boilerplate and ultimately conservative music making attitude and a style done better by previous rappers.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Nehru > Joey

Even if he is stuck in that DOOM void now he showed more promise than Joey ever did.

DominoKid

it was obvious from the beginning Joey was wack. i never got what folks saw in him other than beyond ticking the boxes of the stereotypical good rapper.

cacophony

joey badass talk.. can we go back to discussing condiments?

yo PT3 with no Ski is gonna be like the phantom menace. cool & dre are cool but ski + spitta is perfection. wonder why ski didnt do the production??

Zeus Molecules

Nehru > Joey

Even if he is stuck in that DOOM void now he showed more promise than Joey ever did.

it was obvious from the beginning Joey was wack. i never got what folks saw in him other than beyond ticking the boxes of the stereotypical good rapper.

we hyped him too much before but lets not go 360 and shit on him for no reason. He's not that bad he's just made some bad production decisions. He needs more waves type songs and less duck down sounding stuff

we hyped him too much before but lets not go 360 and shit on him for no reason. He's not that bad he's just made some bad production decisions. He needs more waves type songs and less duck down sounding stuff

His first tape was really good but I feel like he let the hype go to his head and started feeling himself too much.

HiResDes

The production on this project is stellar all the way through. It's of the downtempo affair, cool, somewhat jazzy beats with some fun dub and electronic elements thrown in and the sparser tracks definitely seem to complement Nitty best. Too often female emcees try to force this macho bravado that sounds like an imitation of their favorite male rapper, and although I know gender is indeed a fluid thing it just doesn't sound all too great. Nitty excels on this project when she's at her most feminine, not because she needs to reinforce gender stereotypes, but rather because it sounds the most genuine. Pyrexxx Pink is one of the few uptempo tracks I like, her braggadocio on this track utilizes the tone of her voice quite well to create a sense of swag and sexuality. The rather conscious focus of the tracks lets Nitty showcase how insightful and poetic she can be with the pen. My favorite tracks are Generation Now, Feng Shui, Lily of the Valley, Afterglow Outro, and Little Sister. I especially like how she sings her on choruses on some of these tracks, it adds even more intimacy and personality to the album.

The album does have definite low points.Sometimes she gets a little too bold with her braggadocio and it breaks the mood completely as on Apex or a bit too preachy and pedantic as on Knowbody Knows and The Unlearning. The U.F.O. track probably sounded really fun on paper, but it really just doesn't fit in with the rest of the tracks at all, and is quite jarring as a result, instant delete. The middle of the album is probably its weakest section.

Strong 7/10

I agree with you here but there's plenty of reasons why the general opinion on him soured. Whether it was his self-importance out the gate, his put downs of other artists in the industry or his poor work ethic, he showed that he just didn't have the right attitude. That, combined with his (imo) lackluster at best production since 1999 has pretty much relegated him to never garner a bigger fanbase than he has right now.

I don't think his problem is production. I think it's his rapping style man.
Also this. There are some Doomisms in that first tape -off-kilter flows, sporadic rhyme schemes, syllables pouring into the next bar- but it's generally pretty tightly focused. Later projects his rapping feels unhinged and it comes off as lazy songwriting.

that too... he needs to humble himself... I wish their was like a rap version of the iron sheik to just humble these dudes until they are really on.

Wanting a 3 million dollar deal after one mixtape ? GTFO release some more work before you start saying shit like that didn't he have a deal with Jay lined up at one time ? He really fucked up not taking it.

Esch

Banned
I wonder what he'd be like if he got signed to the Roc. Might have been a great humbler for him. Bad investment by Hov though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom