• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

Piñata is so fucking overrated, so monotonous

BFK shits all over it

I feel you. I like Pinata but I go back to BFK and hell, ESGN way way more. If I'm gonna put ona Gibbs track to jam to, it's gonna be off BFK or ESGN. I listen to "Have U Seen Her" off ESGN a lot.

BFK is dope but I feel like Pinata is such a natural progression for Gibbs. Smooth production, varied lyrical content, humor, and a master class on rapping within beats. If I look at standout tracks, BFK comes out the gate like a classic album (title track, MCH, The Hard, Kush Cloud) and then loses steam; it never becomes bad, but I don't think it reaches the heights of that intro run again. Whereas Pinata is littered with classic Gibbs tracks from beginning to end.

Cudder

This. I'm gonna relisten to it because I don't think I gave it a fair shake at first, but right off the bat I could tell it didn't have the same ear for melody that hooked me on ESGN.
I love ESGN but the beats and melodies on Piñata are far and away much better than the simple shit (in comparison) you find on BFK or ESGN. Can only listen to so many trap style high hats and snares.

Pinata is still top 3 2014 but it doesn't have an "Eastside Moonwalker" or "Money, Clothes, Hoes" aka that one track that I keep repeating over and over and over without getting tired of.

Esch

Banned
I can't believe what I'm reading about Pinata... That's the best album since GKMC brehs

Yep. GAF-Hop on some other shit. ESGN was boring as hell and BFK while pretty good has above average trap production with a twist and the song concepts aren't as good as Pinata. It's catchier, but not better written IMO.
Pinata is still top 3 2014 but it doesn't have an "Eastside Moonwalker" or "Money, Clothes, Hoes" aka that one track that I keep repeating over and over and over without getting tired of.

Uno.

BFK is like 40 percent good. Piñata is one of his more consistent records and one that I can probably listen to all the way through without getting bored. I think I remember ESGN more than BFK. Still livin is that shit though.

Esch

Banned
BFK is like 40 percent good. Piñata is one of his more consistent records and one that I can probably listen to all the way through without getting bored. I think I remember ESGN more than BFK. Still livin is that shit though.

Yea, BFK fails a little bit on the Esch scale when it comes down to it. I skip a lot of that shit.

overcast

BFK has some of my favorite songs of the past few years, but it's inconsistent, ESGN even more so. Piñata is so repayable. Go through the whole thing when I start it.

Smooth beats + Gibbs voice/flow is perfect.

Esch

Banned
Pinata is more consistent but also more boring than either of his past two projects.

wtf, y'all too caught up in bombast. the writing is at a much higher level more consistently on Pinata for sure. How is Pinata boring? Just because it's not banger back to back?

I can at least get BFK, but I don't get this ESGN love; it's boilerplate sonically, there are too many weed carrier shit verses, too many songs, it has high highs but that's it. Crazy.

HiResDes

wtf, y'all too caught up in bombast. the writing is at a much higher level more consistently on Pinata for sure. How is Pinata boring? Just because it's not banger back to back?

I can at least get BFK, but I don't get this ESGN love; it's boilerplate sonically, there are too many weed carrier shit verses, too many songs, it has high highs but that's it. Crazy.
Lack of bangers and catchy anthems

Esch

Banned
Lack of bangers and catchy anthems

Bizarre. You think, hey, one of my favorite artists is trying something a little different. Some left field beats, denser verses, but still done in his familiar style yet you want this dude to be cranking out whip music....just because he can? Pinata delivers heavier on concept than ANY of his previous works, is super fluid in terms of album construction and sound, and you want him on some Vol.2 shit? That's like going to a steakhouse, sitting down to eat and saying, 'naw. how bout them chicken tenders with barbecue sauce tho?'

I'm pretty sure Gibbs' next album is going to be full of chicken tenders and BBQ sauce so both sides will be happy.

EDIT: But he did say he wants Madlib's touch on all of his future projects, even if it's as small a role as sequencing (which can still be a huge role in the grand scheme). We'll see.

HiResDes

Bizarre. You think, hey, one of my favorite artists is trying something a little different. Some left field beats, denser verses, but still done in his familiar style yet you want this dude to be cranking out whip music....just because he can? Pinata delivers heavier on concept than ANY of his previous works, is super fluid in terms of album construction and sound, and you want him on some Vol.2 shit? That's like going to a steakhouse, sitting down to eat and saying, 'naw. how bout them chicken tenders with barbecue sauce tho?'

I don't go to Popeyes and ask them to make me Sea Urchin ceviche. I fux with Popeyes because I know they're good at making New Orleans inspired fried chicken and sides and I can get that instant gratification without having to wait long. I don't think Gibbs ever gets too deep or dense on any album, sorry, but it's the truth. I love Gangsta Gibbs because of his energy, his ability to create melody with his raspy voice, and his murderous and scandalous anthem crafting ability.

I don't need Gibbs to turn into Curren$y.

At this point, the OT11 title has to be something about food. Like right behind proving new music, the 2nd most successful thing this thread does is make people hungry hongry

Esch

Banned
I don't go to Popeyes and ask them to make me Sea Urchin ceviche. I fux with Popeyes because I know they're good at making New Orleans inspired fried chicken and sides and I can get that instant gratification without having to wait long. I don't think Gibbs ever gets too deep or dense on any album, sorry, but it's the truth. I love Gangsta Gibbs because of his energy, his ability to create melody with his raspy voice, and his murderous and scandalous anthem crafting ability.

I don't need Gibbs to turn into Curren$y.
You wildin with that flip of my comparison, as I think Gibbs delivers heavily on imagery and song concepts on Pinata, but I'll accept your preference. It's just seems unfair to me you're putting ol boy in a box. I think he can be better than bombast if he's allowed to drop the gangsta persona slowly... Also Piñata is nothing like a Curren$y project. Don't even know what you're getting at with that.

overcast

But even a song like Harold's is a perfect combination of lyrics and beat. Combines to create the atmosphere of the song perfectly. I can bump that song on a hot day, shit essentially makes me hungry.

Gibbs isn't breaking new ground lyrically, but I prefer the progress of Piñata to ESGN.. Which is a worse BFK.

Esch

Banned
But even a song like Harold's is a perfect combination of lyrics and beat. Combines to create the atmosphere of the song perfectly. I can bump that song on a hot day, shit essentially makes me hungry.

Gibbs isn't breaking new ground lyrically, but I prefer the progress of Piñata to ESGN.. Which is a worse BFK.
Yep love how it all comes together. Piñata hits so many different feels and emotional notes for me. It has the sadder maudlin shit like Deeper, harder chit like Real, jovial stuff like High, operatic cuts like Shitsville, Made You Look style mean muggers like Uno.... stands great on its own. Classic album

HiResDes

not a fan of ESGN. but eastside moonwalker is a fantastic single.

9mm, Came Up, One Eight Seven, F.A.M.E. also go so hard in the whip. There's no hook on Pinata that hits as hard as 9mm. Listen to how Gibbs croons on that shit

I think the production on Pinata is too dense at times, leaving Gibbs no room to really linger over his words

Tokubetsu

9mm, Came Up, One Eight Seven, F.A.M.E. also go so hard in the whip. There's no hook on Pinata that shits as hard as 9mm. Listen to how Gibbs croons on that shit

I think the production on Pinata is too dense at times, leaving Gibbs no room to really linger over his words

Love 9mm.

1. Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid m.A.A.d City
2. Danny Brown - XXX
3. Curren$y - Covert Coup
4. A$AP Rocky - Live.Love.A$AP
5. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

That's how mine would look like despite forgetting a lot of things. A$AP Rocky hasn't been that good lately, but I love that album(not Long.Live.A$AP which had some highs but overall had too much filler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom