• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep love how it all comes together. Piñata hits so many different feels and emotional notes for me. It has the sadder maudlin shit like Deeper, harder chit like Real, jovial stuff like High, operatic cuts like Shitsville, Made You Look style mean muggers like Uno.... stands great on its own. Classic album
Yeah kind of surprised by the reaction to it. I'm with you one hundred percent esch. I still enjoy the bangers, but you have to go through a lot of mediocrity to get them.

Halo 2

Banned
Piñata is awesome!
I can listen to high all day.

Harold's makes me want to order some Harold's (maybe on my day off)

The beat on deeper.. Mmmmm yes

Uno is fantastic and everything else is enjoyable too, I love an album where all the songs feel like they belongs together.

PlayDat

Top 10 since 2010
  1. XXX
  2. GKMC
  3. Yeezus
  4. Black Up
  5. Russian Roulette
  6. MBDTF
  7. RAP Music
  8. Section.80
  9. Pinata
  10. Nehru Jackets
HM: Oneirology, Return of 4eva, Habits n Contradictions, Night's Gambit

BFK is dope but I feel like Pinata is such a natural progression for Gibbs. Smooth production, varied lyrical content, humor, and a master class on rapping within beats. If I look at standout tracks, BFK comes out the gate like a classic album (title track, MCH, The Hard, Kush Cloud) and then loses steam; it never becomes bad, but I don't think it reaches the heights of that intro run again. Whereas Pinata is littered with classic Gibbs tracks from beginning to end.

Cosign. I like BFK but the tracks have a lot less personality to them than the ones on Pinata. On BFK, after hearing the first 50 minutes or so I kind of want it to end, but it keeps going for another 20.

Only flaw of Pinata to me would be the guest verses. It feels like I should enjoy Sarface on Broken, but his verse really does nothing for me. The title track is the only song on here I'd say is bad because of all the features.

Pinata is still the leader for me in any AOTY discussion. Hope something surprises me in the coming months.

PlayDat

I left out Currensy because I've never wanted to sit through an entire project by him. Guy has no mic presence.

I did just listen to Double 07 on youtube and it's making me want to try Covert Coup for the Alchemist production.

Courage

Breh, Pilot Talk is a stoner staple.

I gotta force myself to listen to other stuff when blazed.

I never listened to Covert Coup either, though.

RP912

Banned
My top ten since 2010:

1. Kendrick Lamar- Good Kid, MAAD City
2. Killer Mike- RAP Music
3. Tyler The Creator- Goblin
4. Nas- Life Is Good
5. Pac Div- The Div
6. Danny Brown- XXX
7. Kendrick Lamar- Section 80
8. A$AP Rock- Long Live A$AP
9. A$AP Ferg- Trap Lord
10. Phonte- Charity Starts At Home

deli2000

Top 10 since 2010:

1. Black Up
2. Cosmogramma
3. MBDTF
4. GKMC
5. Run The Jewels
6. So It Goes
7. The Money Store
8. Pinata
9. R.A.P Music
10. The Nights Gambit

HiResDes

1. Danny Brown - XXX
2. Kendrick Lamar - GKMC
3. Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation
4. Armand Hammer - Race Music
5. Ayomari & Tiron - A Sucker For Pumps
6. Roc Marciano - Marcberg
7. Strong Arm Steady - In Search of Stoney Jackson
8. Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
9. Spaceghostpurrp - Blvcklvnd Rvdix 66.6
10. Quelle Chris - Niggas is Men

Honorable Mention: Habits & Contradictions/Trap Lord

...Cosmogramma is not a hip-hop/rap album

deli2000

An honorable mention for me would be Doris. The only OF release I can dig (If Frank Ocean doesn't count). Although Earl's crew mates come close to ruining it.

Esch

Banned
Shitty Mastering and Rick Ross aside. MBDTF is way more ambitious, innovative and fulfilling.
Naw it's a big Frankenstein mess of ideas and textures, is floated and filled with features, and it flows from track to track poorly. It's bombastic and different sounding but it's not very good. And that's not counting it being the worst non cassette mastered and mixed album I've ever heard.

7.5/10

1. Danny Brown - XXX
2. Kendrick Lamar - GKMC
3. Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation
4. Armand Hammer - Race Music
5. Ayomari & Tiron - A Sucker For Pumps
6. Roc Marciano - Marcberg
7. Strong Arm Steady - In Search of Stoney Jackson
8. Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
9. Spaceghostpurrp - Blvcklvnd Rvdix 66.6
10. Quelle Chris - Niggas is Men

Honorable Mention: Habits & Contradictions/Trap Lord

Your top three is the same as mine

Esch

Banned
Gorgeous has some of the worst mixing and mastering on the album, but it was all intentional. Kanye is that good.
This is my favorite of all stan arguments. The "my idol did something shitty on purpose" as a form of ironic art making. You already know you're firmly in crazy town when you're trying to defend why things should be bad.

Courage

This is my favorite of all stan arguments. The "my idol did something shitty on purpose" as a form of ironic art making. You already know you're firmly in crazy town when you're trying to defend why things should be bad.

Neon Icon is also pretty dope.

Seriously though, I don't see why it's so crazy to believe. Gorgeous's mastering is so noticeable, and knowing the guy is such a perfectionist, I doubt he let it slide deliberately.

HiResDes

So it Goes is really growing on me even more this year. Even mush mouth doesn't bother me much, and I can actually understand where he's coming from on his verses as a former poet.

MBDTF is ambitious and kind of innovative, but fulfilling is probably the last word I'd use to describe it. I can't even stand to listen to All of the Lights, Monster, or Runaway any more.

My list could extend out and I'd have multiple Spitta and KRIT joints on there and nights gambit and even Yeezus before I'd ever list MBDTF.

Gibbs puts out so many projects I don't see the point in expecting or wanting them all to sound the same. ESGN is just a weaker BFK to me. Generic trap beats, some wack homies, and a few bangers of diminishing returns.

Pinata is sonically diverse, it's a breath of fresh air. I've heard Gibbs over claps and 808s for the last 5-6 years, I needed Pinata in my life. To me, it's structured like an early Ice Cube album. You've got some gangsta shit but it never becomes a monotonous affair of slanging, banging bitches, and jacking. There's some humor, sports shit, food rap, etc. Even the "bitches" track isn't a traditional anthem, and is instead a storytelling track (Deeper).

HiResDes

I relistened to it and some of the album hits me pretty hard, but there are definitely monotonous sections for me, and maybe I'm harder on it because prior to Pinata I'd never heard Gibbs resort to such a low energy rap style at times.

Esch

Banned
Seriously though, I don't see why it's so crazy to believe. Gorgeous's mastering is so noticeable, and knowing the guy is such a perfectionist, I doubt he let it slide deliberately.

Do you see how this is stan faith and justification rather than an observation?

Courage

The low energy rap style suits the production though. Having his deep voice go any louder and it'd sound misplaced.

Do you see how this is stan faith and justification rather than an observation?

It's analogous to any type of literary interpretation. Instead of using figures of speech, sentence structure, he conveyed his message sonically.

Last 3 minutes of Runaway do the same thing.

DominoKid

Only flaw on MBDTF is the album cut of Runaway. Replaced that w/ the single cut. Yeezy raised the bar w/ that album and nobody came close since.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Speaking of Runaway/MBDTF I really need to find a good edit of that song. I love it off the album cept for like the last three minutes of nonsense. Unchecked ambition.

Yeezus would def be in my list.

EDIT - Wow, that timing. Heh.

Dereck

I'm not good with ordering lists

0. Captain Murphy - Duality
0. Schoolboy Q - Habits & Contradictions
0. Roc Marciano - Reloaded
0. Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Pinata
0. Danny Brown - XXX
0. Zeroh - Awfulalterations
0. A$AP Rocky - LiveLoveA$AP
0. Open Mike Eagle - Rappers Will Die of Natural Causes
0. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city
0. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

HiResDes

Seeing Open Mike Eagle for free at the coolest little bar in Cincy with the best beers on tap and the best burritos in town. Gonna be a good Sunday night once I get off work, though I gotta get up early tomorrow.

The Zeroh album is a great sleeper pick. I almost listed Destiny Altered and a Nacho Picasso joint to make mine more personal.

deli2000

I not calling MBDTF a masterpiece by any means. I'd just rank it above GKMC. I really don't like Backseat Freestyle, even taking into account the 'it works in the context of the album' argument.

I cant stand any of the other TDE releases either. Section 80, Habits, and Control System were OK at best in my opinion. The rest is meh.

Gibbs puts out so many projects I don't see the point in expecting or wanting them all to sound the same. ESGN is just a weaker BFK to me. Generic trap beats, some wack homies, and a few bangers of diminishing returns.

Pinata is sonically diverse, it's a breath of fresh air. I've heard Gibbs over claps and 808s for the last 5-6 years, I needed Pinata in my life. To me, it's structured like an early Ice Cube album. You've got some gangsta shit but it never becomes a monotonous affair of slanging, banging bitches, and jacking. There's some humor, sports shit, food rap, etc. Even the "bitches" track isn't a traditional anthem, and is instead a storytelling track (Deeper).

Agreed. There're only a few tracks I go back to on ESGN (9mm, Eastside Moonwalker, and Freddie Soprano).

I still enjoy listening to Pinata though

Fuuck I forgot about Mista Thug Isolation. No particular order:

Lone Sharks
XXX
GKMC
Krit Wuz Here
The #Swoup Serengeti
Live.Love.A$AP
Habits & Contradictions
Mista Thug Isolation
Pilot Talk
Night's Gambit

HM: WTT, Lap of Lux, Acid Rap

overcast

I'll bite.

2010's Top 10:
1) Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid Maad City
2) Danny Brown - XXX
3) Kanye West - MBDTF
4) Schoolboy Q - Habits and Contradictions
5) Kanye West - Yeezus
6) Kendrick Lamar - Section 80
7) Currensy - Pilot Talk
8) Tiron & Ayomari - A Sucker for Pumps
9) Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
10) Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation

Honorable Mentions:
Currensy - Covert Coup
J. Cole - Friday Night Lights (not one mention?)
Danny Brown - Old
Ratking - So It Goes
Freddie Gibbs - Piñata
ASAP Ferg - Trap Lord
ASAP Rocky - LiveLoveASAP

Think that's everything. They switch around a lot.

Seeing Open Mike Eagle for free at the coolest little bar in Cincy with the best beers on tap and the best burritos in town. Gonna be a good Sunday night once I get off work, though I gotta get up early tomorrow.

He puts on a pretty good show man you should have a great time.

Nah. Nah. Totally is hip hop. Branches off a bit far but the core beat elements are all over it.

Not feeling the new PartyNextDoor, and I enjoyed the first one.
It sounds especially boring since right now there's the Majid Jordan and Shlohmo/Jeremih EPs to listen to.
The guy is consistently inconsistent. Some great songs but some fall pretty flat.

Also guys im at work, can someone please link that schoolboy q instagram video from yesterday of him performing collard greens? If you cant find it no probs though

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Top 10 since 2010? That's pretty hard.

1. MBDTF
2. GKMC
3. Owl Pharoah
4. Take Care
5. Section.80
6. Habits & Contradictions
7. Yeezus
8. Teflon Don
9. Friday Night Lights
10. Finally Famous

Truth be told, only the top 3 slots are solidified. All the others are interchangeable.

injurai

Banned
Cosmogramma is hip-hop in the sense that you describe it's musicality, not in the sense you would rank it in a top 10 with non-instrumental stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom