• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

deli2000

Cosmogramma is hip-hop in the sense that you describe it's musicality, not in the sense you would rank it in a top 10 with non-instrumental stuff.

I really just wanted an excuse to put it on my list to be honest. I enjoyed my top 2 way more than the other 8.

IrishNinja

that cormega industry video was nice

People listing MBDTF over GKMC are making me wanna vomit honestly.

fuckin seriously
look at this mess right here

Top 10 since 2010

1. MBDTF

Shitty Mastering and Rick Ross aside. MBDTF is way more ambitious, innovative and fulfilling.

I'm sorry breh

GKMC didn't do much for me tbh

MBDTF>>>XXX>yeezus>doesn't matter

Top 10 since 2010? That's pretty hard.

1. MBDTF

jiQwFJL.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GKMC is more cohesive, I just go back to songs more often on MBDTF than I do GKMC. That bottomline quality assessment right there. GKMC has more songs that are skips too. I also like the narrative in MBDTF and variety better.

Actually, with that in mind, might as well put Owl Pharoah above GKMC.

injurai

Banned
It hardly feels like Kanye owns any of his material. He's more of the director behind a massive collaborative project. Just look at the wikipedia entries for each of his albums.

Trey

GKMC is more cohesive, I just go back to songs more often on MBDTF than I do GKMC. That bottomline quality assessment right there. GKMC has more songs that are skips too. I also like the narrative in MBDTF and variety better.

Pretty much my assessment, except switch the albums.

IrishNinja

Actually, with that in mind, might as well put Owl Pharoah above GKMC.

MBDTF's only narrative is for more minimalism in production, and yeah, i sure wish GKMC had such timeless classics as hell of a life, devil in a new dress, and monster, that song where everyone was so lazy, nicki came out on top

top 10 album right there for C students

Esch

Banned
MBDTF's only narrative is for more minimalism in production, and yeah, i sure wish GKMC had such timeless classics as hell of a life, devil in a new dress, and monster, that song where everyone was so lazy, nicki came out on top

top 10 album right there for C students
Wat

IrishNinja

allow one decent song to elevate an otherwise forgettable album to decent status & then pretend it's better than an actual classic brehs

Cheddahz

Banned
1. Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation
2. Danny Brown - XXX
3. Ratking - So It Goes
4. Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Pinata
5. Kendrick Lamar - GKMC
6. Death Grips - The Money Store (I know Courage didn't have the courage to put this in his list, but fuck it)
7. Curren$y - Pilot Talk
8. Kanye West - Yeezus
9. Nas - Life is Good
10. ...eh

not going to lie, i think i've spent more of this decade listening to older stuff than anything

deli2000

allow one decent song to elevate an otherwise forgettable album to decent status & then pretend it's better than an actual classic brehs

Released 2 years ago and already a classic huh?

MBDTF ain't no classic either. But It's nails it's concept (Superstar makes maximalist, ostentatious, self-depreciating album about Celebrity in 2010) a little bit better than GKMC (Gang Violence is bad, everybody should really stop glorifying it.)

Anyway, in my opinion there really isn't that much of difference and it comes to personal preference breh.

We need a temporary thread for when the kanye shit starts. I can't do months of ye again.

Mbdtf is okay, top ten since 10 though? I swear y'all just trolling listing that and yeezus on there.

Esch

Banned
Mbtdf is like when classic rock bands got on some other shit and tried to add orchestras, flutes, jazz interludes and keyboards all on the same album and it turned out like a mess. It's the Jethro Tull of rap music.

Cudder

MBDTF ain't no classic either. But It's nails it's concept (Superstar makes maximalist, ostentatious, self-depreciating album about Celebrity in 2010) a little bit better than GKMC (Gang Violence is bad, everybody should really stop glorifying it.)

Anyway, in my opinion there really isn't that much of difference and it comes to personal preference breh.

If that's the only thing you got from GKMC then you really should listen to it more attentively. Finding yourself and not accepting the cliche of becoming a product of your environment is mainly what it's about. Everyone's not pre dispositioned to a certain life because of where you grew up.

but gang violence is also bad, yes.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Since 2010:

1. good kid maad city- Kendrick Lamar
2. Habits N Contradictions- Schoolboy Q
3. Old- Danny Brown
4. MBDTF- Kanye West
5. Watch the Throne- Kanye/Jay Z
6. Section.80- Kendrick Lamar
7. Covert Coup- Curren$y
8. XXX- Danny Brown
9. Nostalgia 64- Denzel Curry
10. Trap Lord- A$AP Ferg

Surprised at the lack of WTT mentions and Yeezus was one of my personal biggest album disappointments ever. Went hyped as fuck for it pre launch but was severely let down. Hope Yeezy goes back to his old style. I loved 808s but hated the experimental style he went with Yeezus. Praying he doesn't go with the same route for his album this year.

big ander

NIKO IS lp is great. Green Tomato Coupe, Floss, Ballon d'or. Chance comparison is apt, something about the way he executes his references and folds in cultural background also reminds me of heems? That could be reaching.

IrishNinja

:laff: at mbdtf being a forgettable album

if it wasnt on yalls lists idve forgotten it, yeezus had some missteps but at least put forth an effort

yeah, i can call something a modern classic, they still occur in nature (however rare)
and im fine with reducing them to those lines but thing is, the narrative on MBDTF - that it's supposed to be a mess cause that's reflective of ye at the moment etc - is really such a bad pass you might as well say the last few Roots albums are genius cause they made them while on nyquil & donated the proceeds to insomnia research

listening to Me against the World atm
Totally forgot how chill this album is

was my favorite of his for years, now it goes between that & all eyez

big ander

no order:

MBDTF
Yeezus
GKMC
Run the Jewels
Rap Music
The Money Store
Sit Down, Man