• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnDoe

Banned
Listening to Aquemini again. This shit is top 5 best hip hop albums of all time material. Feel the power of erykah's box, brehs.

IrishNinja

really surprised not more here know black moon, NY heads i knew were bumping him along with illmatic in the day

nah, i have a feeling that you'd never heard that. Ima list some classic material you haven't bothered to listen to.

anything by az
anything by three six mafia
anything by e-40
anything by spice 1
anything by tha dogg pound
anything by black moon
anything from the DITC
anything by boot camp clik
anything by slum village
anything by UGK
anything by too $hort
anything by LL Cool J
anything by dalek
anything by das efx

jokes aside if any/most of this is true, we could make you an amazing playlist here man
like i can't always get into dalek but the rest of that...damn, you could just lock yourself up for the weekend and have an awesome time for real

ps wait i haven't listened to much boot camp (its in the kams queue folder) or any DITC, recommend me somehting from the latter

Listening to Aquemini again. This shit is top 5 best hip hop albums of all time material. Feel the power of erykah's box, brehs.

controversial statement is controversial, i love the album more than most here though

Russian Roulette
Oneirology
Night's Gambit
Lone Sharks
Habits & Contradictions
R.A.P. Music
GKMC
XXX
DESTINY. Altered
Covert Coup
Pinata

Yes, that's 11. No I'm not gonna remove anything.

IrishNinja

see oneirology was a contender for me too but again, i revisited death is silent more often

That Boot Camp Clik & 2pac album was the real detox.

damn, i was all up on the source back then and don't even remember this being a thing

*edit FUCK zeus had a great call with oddissee

RP912

Banned
I swear dilla beats are smooth as fuck. Dude could sample toilets flushing and I would jump on that beat. I don't even rap.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
My Top 10 since Jan 2010......

Covert Coup - Spitta
Well Done - Action Bronson
Teflon Don - Rick Ross
GKMC - Kendrick
R.A.P Music - Killer Mike
4evaNaDay - Big Krit
Pinata - Gibbs
Stay Trippy - Juicy J
Kush and OJ - Wiz Khalifa
Tangible Dream - Oddisee

best EP's
Cigarette Boats - Spitta
Untitled EP - Hodgy Beats

Pusha T's Wrath of Kaine and MNIMN both just slipped under the top 10.

You know making this list its just occurring to me how much quality stuff these newer rappers have been putting out since 2010. its crazy but pr-2010 I really thought rap was dying but right now its healthier than it was damn near through the whole 2000's. I could probably make a list of 30 or more quality projects that I've heard since 2010 where I would be strapped to come up with 30 quality projects from 2000 to 2010 based on my taste in rap.

Esch

Banned
ps wait i haven't listened to any DITC

what

sorry breh, if you wanna keep playing the role of dusty east coast rap guy you can't be saying this shit.

ditc.jpg
OC_Jewelz-e1327882481806.jpg

showbiz%20ag-1.jpg
big+L-lifestylez.jpg

51CmfMN7uyL._SS500_.jpg
51G7AZx8D4L.jpg

stunts-blunts-and-hip-hop1.jpg
album-return-of-the-funky-man%255B1%255D.jpg

really surprised not more here know black moon, NY heads i knew were bumping him along with illmatic in the day

jokes aside if any/most of this is true, we could make you an amazing playlist here man
like i can't always get into dalek but the rest of that...damn, you could just lock yourself up for the weekend and have an awesome time for real

ps wait i haven't listened to much boot camp (its in the kams queue folder) or any DITC, recommend me somehting from the latter

Showbiz & A.G.

RP912

Banned
Boot camp clicks best work is from the mid 2000s. I never really cared for their 90s work at all. When they started fucking with 9th, it was like a breath of fresh air.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
AZ actually has my favourite song ever, The Format. But I fear the album will taint my thoughts on the single.

But yeah outside of the original list Esch mentioned, I don't really hear anything else regarded as a bonafide classic, more like highly regarded regional albums (like say D.O.C.). I usually don't get in the mood to listen to anything before the 90s, I have to physically force myself to listen to stuff so it's not fun, even if I end up enjoying it. Checked my list and it's actually down to 20! WOOHOO.

There is one I haven't listened to yet that is a classic that I'll throw you guys anyways because what the fuck we need to get to OT11:
AmeriKKKa's Most Wnated

Tokubetsu

AZ actually has my favourite song ever, The Format. But I fear the album will taint my thoughts on the single.

But yeah outside of the original list Esch mentioned, I don't really hear anything else regarded as a bonafide classic, more like highly regarded regional albums (like say D.O.C.). I usually don't get in the mood to listen to anything before the 90s, I have to physically force myself to listen to stuff so it's not fun, even if I end up enjoying it. Checked my list and it's actually down to 20! WOOHOO.

There is one I haven't listened to yet that is a classic that I'll throw you guys anyways because what the fuck we need to get to OT11:
AmeriKKKa's Most Wnated

The Format is GREAT but my favorite AZ:
http://youtu.be/_siy-GbRV-Q

Zeus Molecules

Boot camp clicks best work is from the mid 2000s. I never really cared for their 90s work at all. When they started fucking with 9th, it was like a breath of fresh air.

their mid 2000's work has aged better but you can say that about a lot of good stuff made in the 2000's. that 90's sound while dope, doesn't hold up as well.

But in the 90's songs like "I got cha open"Remix and "Sound Bwoy Bureill" were dope in NYC. Those were the bobby Shmurda songs of the 90's

RP912

Banned
their mis 2000's work has aged better but you can say that about a lot of good stuff made in the 2000's. that 90's sound while dope, doesn't hold up as well.

But in the 90's songs like "I got cha open"Remix and "Sound Bwoy Bureill" were dope in NYC. Those were the bobby Shmurda songs of the 90's

Indeed. It annoys me when folks constantly get on the shoebox to big up the 90s like it was the mecca when around mid 2000s rappers were trying to go on another level. I bought a shit ton of music around that time than I do nowadays because of quality>>>etc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
............ we talk about both dalek and black moon pretty frequently in this topic.

dalek-Paragraphs Relentless

This shit might be a little raw for you though. It's heavy industrial so...
Yeah it's kind of rough, I sort of understand the appeal though. Sort of. Just turns into noise by the end for me though.

Wait, Aquemini is hated by gaf hop?
Nah I think OutKast lovers are still the majority here. One or two people said they didn't like 'em and it became a war lol

I'm indifferent, really. They have classic records under their belt, that much undeniable. And they have a timeless quality to them.

Esch

Banned
Damn, this is dope. I was always interested to hear the pioneers of the industrial scene, so I wouldn't mind if y'all shared anything else like this.
my experience with industrial is heavy metal influenced, Godflesh and all that but Dalek has a pretty dope discography if you're not afraid of some grit and noise.

you should listen in this order;

Abandoned Language
From Filthy Tongues of Gods and Griots
Negro Necro Nekros
Absence

it's like Death Grips, but not shit. It's the type of conspiracy theory shit lyrically dudes like Ab-Soul wish they could write tbh.

DominoKid

for me one of the most disappointing things about the decade so far is that C$ hasn't linked up w/ Fraud or Alchemist again for sequel projects.

at the time i really took for granted that we'd get more from those 2 combos.

edit: well i guess you could count The Stage but i was hoping for a straight C$/Fraud project.

for me one of the most disappointing things about the decade so far is that C$ hasn't linked up w/ Fraud or Alchemist again for sequel projects.

A full length Cigarette Boats would end hip-hop. There would be no need for any other albums after that.

............ we talk about both dalek and black moon pretty frequently in this topic.

dalek-Paragraphs Relentless

This shit might be a little raw for you though. It's heavy industrial so...

that black moon bored the fuck out of me but this is cool as hell.

A full length Cigarette Boats would end hip-hop. There would be no need for any other albums after that.

the ep was 100% great. i think it might be harry fraud's greatest achievement

Zeus Molecules

Indeed. It annoys me when folks constantly get on the shoebox to big up the 90s like it was the mecca when around mid 2000s rappers were trying to go on another level. I bought a shit ton of music around that time than I do nowadays because of quality>>>etc.

well it was the production quality of the 2000's that went up. Lyricism actually took a big hit in the 2000's. Between crunk, autotune. reaggaton, and krumping (not to mention the whole laffy taffy snap your finger phase) there was no real newer rap movements on the verge of being mainstream that was based on lyrics.

The biggest change since 2010 is your seeing better lyricist who can exist on the verge of mainstream who are now rapping on the better quality/type of beats that exist. 2010 and beyond has been based on Lyricism being on par with dope beats.

The reason I pick on rapper who are on the verge of being mainstream is in my opinion those are the guys who are the real tastemakers in rap. Established acts try to bite them to stay relevant while newer acts model themselves off of them in the hopes of getting paid well to rap. In a few years a few of these young guys will likely go full mainstream and be more a celebrity than a rapper such as wiz and drake.

Esch

Banned
that black moon bored the fuck out of me but this is cool as hell.

the ep was 100% great. i think it might be harry fraud's greatest achievement

you got bored with the I Got Cha Opin remix? One of the best remixes of all time?

You might be the first muslim soulja girl i've ever met.

Zeus Molecules

edit: well i guess you could count The Stage but i was hoping for a straight C$/Fraud project.

I hope they do link up but you can see where running his label seems to be taking away from his own projects.

RP912

Banned
well it was the production quality of the 2000's that went up. Lyricism actually took a big hit in the 2000's. Between crunk, autotune. reaggaton, and krumping (not to mention the whole laffy taffy snap your finger phase) there was no real newer rap movements on the verge of being mainstream that was based on lyrics.

The biggest change since 2010 is your seeing better lyricist who can exist on the verge of mainstream who are now rapping on the better quality/type of beats that exist. 2010 and beyond has been based on Lyricism being on par with dope beats.

The reason I pick on rapper who are on the verge of being mainstream is in my opinion those are the guys who are the real tastemakers in rap. Established acts try to bite them to stay relevant while newer acts model themselves off of them in the hopes of getting paid well to rap. In a few years a few of these young guys will likely go full mainstream and be more a celebrity than a rapper such as wiz and drake.

touche'. I remember folks going crazy for beats rather than raps. I swear almost everybody that could beat on a table wanted to be a "dope producer" rather than a rapper. You had Just Blaze, Heat Makerz, Timberland, Neptunes, etc killing the game. No lie I wish production would be a little better because the top tier rappers nowadays be rapping over the worst of beats :/.

you got bored with the I Got Cha Opin remix? One of the best remixes of all time?

You might be the first muslim soulja girl i've ever met.

like it's aiight. would be fine in a playlist if i was chilling. but the dalek song grabbed me right away.

there's plenty of muslim soulja girls. they're pretty horrible. i've seen some at university wearing hypebeast shirts.

Courage

That has to be one of the worst freestyles ever.

"I'm so ill"

"I came all over your girl's face"

It's as disjointed as it is cringeworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom