• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
Man, Jeezy is one of the most uneventful rappers ever. Not bad, not good...he just exists, typically on good production. Lol @ him jacking Hov with this album though.

How is he not riding that beat or "out rapping" people? As I said last night, he did it as well as anyone could given that track is not a hip hop song or "beat." He's literally trying to keep up with the beat lol.
Actually I disagree. Think there's a bunch of rappers id prefer on that tbh.

http://thedailyloud.com/chief-keef-foreigns-audio/

It's okay tho bc Keef blessed us w this.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Don't get the "screaming" complaint, the vast majority of his vocals aren't even loud on the track. His energy picks up alongside the track and he's surprisingly "on beat" - or at least as much as one could be on that type of piece.
The screaming complaint hasn't been for the volume, it's how he's been using his voice. Turn it down, turn it up, it's annoying.

The screaming complaint hasn't been for the volume, it's how he's been using his voice. Turn it down, turn it up, it's annoying.

Yeah haven't been a fan of his more recent stuff at all

I pray he's just getting this shit out of his system now and it doesn't bleed into his album

IrishNinja

Pickles i'm still running through this Blue Hawaii shit - you need a spotify or youtube playlist or something man, digging this

Album mode

0902-kendrick-lamar-tmz-4.jpg

Also the version of Never Catch Me played live was a bit different from this one released.

Kendrick had a Buffalo soldier line that was played live I remember that wasn't in this version. Might be on the iTunes version?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Back & Forth - Russell Simmons & Rick Rubin. Oh shit. They talk about the inception of Def Jam.

Game - Tuesday (Remix). Kind of cringeworthy. The Drake verse on this song is just cringeworthy too. Not tryna hear dude talk about flipping packs/what he learned from Wu Tang songs.

Lil Durk - Ain't Did Shit video.

Kendrick Lamar Made in America 2014 Full Set

his live set has improved so much. Dude used to be basura live.
Definitely gotten a lot better. Much better than what I got at the Yeezus Tour, and I think a lot of that is the band is better.

Still surprised Backseat Freestyle gets as much reaction as it does every single time, especially relative to other songs.

Definitely gotten a lot better. Much better than what I got at the Yeezus Tour, and I think a lot of that is the band is better.

Still surprised Backseat Freestyle gets as much reaction as it does every single time, especially relative to other songs.

It gets the people going.

People will still throw around the “Kanye protégé” title for you. Are you cool with that?

Man, it’s ill. ’Ye told me all the time, he wants me to carry the music through time. He trusts me with the sound and shit.

- - -

That torch being passed
iIowbpy4kOXJu.png

I'd rather 'Ye keep the torch instead tbh

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'd rather 'Ye keep the torch instead tbh
It's more about passing the Yeezus sound, which is arguably mostly influenced by La Flame anyways.

If anyone will carry Ye's torch it will be Drake, because he has a better sense of consistency, branding and style versatility than anyone else. I mean, you already sort of see it with how he's survived trial by fire a trillion times now.

codhand

People will still throw around the “Kanye protégé” title for you. Are you cool with that?

Man, it’s ill. ’Ye told me all the time, he wants me to carry the music through time. He trusts me with the sound and shit.

- - -

That torch being passed
iIowbpy4kOXJu.png

lol at any torch being passed to any rapper with a $ sign in their name.

If anyone will carry Ye's torch it will be Drake, because he has a better sense of consistency, branding and style versatility than anyone else.

brb using imagination cause no fucking way possible

Kwixotik

Wait, is this where the whole Kenneth Lamar thing comes from? Have I been missing out on the joke the whole time? I thought it was just a funny name.

On January 30, 1989, Kenneth Lamar Noid, a mentally ill customer who thought the ads were a personal attack on him, held two employees of an Atlanta Domino's restaurant hostage for over five hours. After forcing them to make him a pizza and making demands for $100,000, getaway transportation, and a copy of The Widow's Son, Noid surrendered to the police. After the incident ended, Police Chief Reed Miller offered a memorable assessment to reporters: 'He's paranoid.'

IrishNinja

If anyone will carry Ye's torch it will be Drake, because he has a better sense of consistency, branding and style versatility than anyone else. I mean, you already sort of see it with how he's survived trial by fire a trillion times now.

why would i want those things from yeezy, though? his albums going for a different sound vs the good quality but limited range/same-y sound drake's had on even his better works don't make this a like comparison for me at all. don't really care about branding, but drizzy really strikes as having a versatile style? i hear hook drake, mixtape drake, and album drake...that's it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
brb using imagination cause no fucking way possible
Who else is fit for this, and as influential to hip-hop? Nobody comes close.

The parallels in their careers and styles are numerous. Drake might not be as groundbreaking sonically, but he knows how to brand and manage the evolution of his sound similarly.

why would i want those things from yeezy, though? his albums going for a different sound vs the good quality but limited range/same-y sound drake's had on even his better works don't make this a like comparison for me at all. don't really care about branding, but drizzy really strikes as having a versatile style? i hear hook drake, mixtape drake, and album drake...that's it.
You could say Drake's voice sort of has limited range and he sounds more same than different, but he's capable of spitting over a wide variety of production, and has traditionally done so. Not that that's necessarily a strength of Ye's or something that makes Ye exceptional, but it is the mark of an MC with legs.

Kwixotik

I can't really think of anybody in the younger generation as a Kanye successor just yet. Nobody else in mainstream hip hop switches up their style as extremely as he does from album to album while also retaining quality. Then again, Jay-Z and Kanye are pretty different too. But Kanye seems to pick up proteges that are kind of static on an individual level and uses them to complement the corresponding aspects of his more dynamic style. He's really got assistants more than proteges.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't really think of anybody in the younger generation as a Kanye successor just yet. Nobody else in mainstream hip hop switches up their style as extremely as he does from album to album while also retaining quality. Then again, Jay-Z and Kanye are pretty different too. But Kanye seems to pick up proteges that are kind of static on an individual level and uses them to complement the corresponding aspects of his more dynamic style. He's really got assistants more than proteges.
Perhaps, but I think Drake is the closest, and the most willing to take those risks and be able to carry that consistency because of his knack for quality control. I think carrying that quality through the switching of styles is pretty much the main thing I'd need out of a so called torch bearer, not just Kanye 2.0.

With respect to Kanye's proteges, they seem to all grow out of, alongside and "carry" styles from certain eras of Ye. Big Sean from Graduation, Drake from 808s, CyHi from MBDTF and La Flame from Yeezus. I wouldn't even call them proteges, they're just his artists. Drake is the only one I feel like was the protege Kanye always wanted to have, and from his interviews and their interactions in the SFG-era, I think he was pretty sad/salty he missed that opportunity too, because he evolved more than the others and leapfrogged over everyone else.

It's songs like 5AM in Toronto, Over My Dead Body, The Calm, etc. that give me the feel that he is that dude. He can do those wildly different songs and they resonate.

IrishNinja

You could say Drake's voice sort of has limited range and he sounds more same than different, but he's capable of spitting over a wide variety of production, and has traditionally done so. Not that that's necessarily a strength of Ye's or something that makes Ye exceptional, but it is the mark of an MC with legs.

ah, see i was more talking about limited content, which i thought was a problem his last album really started to expose. ye is also far more likely to go outside his comfort zone, whereas drake is still talking about doing an R&B album perfectly suited for his lane already.

truuu. he's the most marketable rapper after jay-z and kanye too. plus take care owes a lot to 808s.

DominoKid

i'm late but yeah there's too much going on on that Kendrick/FlyLo track. Thundercat ripped it though.

Kendrick was cool on that Holy Ghost remix though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ah, see i was more talking about limited content, which i thought was a problem his last album really started to expose. ye is also far more likely to go outside his comfort zone, whereas drake is still talking about doing an R&B album perfectly suited for his lane already.
I semi-agree, but he covers pretty much all of the traditional rapper bases with his own twists.

- Relationship songs (usually with his own simp-y quirks/non-traditional relationship situations that are more than IM JUST TRICKIN ON THIS HOE BUT SHE BE TESTIN ME)
- Struggle/Come Up rap (reflecting on the backlash he gets coming from his unique history, sometimes very lightly integrating stuff about his dude 40 having an expiry date)
- Defending the Crown rap (attacking irony in the criticism he gets, I'm the shit, etc.)
- Turn Up/Braggadocious rap

Of course, if you can't relate or whatever, you're not tryna hear it, and furthermore his most popular songs are usually very simple and from category #1. I think the big thing missing from his repertoire is socially conscious rap, which is strange considering his position in rap and his biggest influences (Little Brother/Kanye/small bit of Tribe).

Kanye fucks with so many young guys to tap into what's bubbling that I don't think you can reduce it down to one guy who is a 'protege'. If you had to I guess Scott would be who it looks like the most. Wish he messed with Black Milk tho that would make more sense to me.

Would rather Kanye help develop dudes who are talented but need refinement, vision, and resources. Much like with Evian Christ. Someone like BLVCK SVNDS should be spending 24 hours a day with Kanye for the next year. Just help incubate many of these guys who aren't quite there yet but can break ceilings if given the chance. Id love to hear Young Fathers after a year of just learning from the people around Kanye. Scott has a ceiling the size of Frodos basement.

OTOH he would probably just end up stealing their whole identity for a new record

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kanye fucks with so many young guys to tap into what's bubbling that I don't think you can reduce it down to one guy who is a 'protege'. If you had to I guess Scott would be who it looks like the most. Wish he messed with Black Milk tho that would make more sense to me.

Would rather Kanye help develop dudes who are talented but need refinement, vision, and resources. Much like with Evian Christ. Someone like BLVCK SVNDS should be spending 24 hours a day with Kanye for the next year. Just help incubate many of these guys who aren't quite there yet but can break ceilings if given the chance. Id love to hear Young Fathers after a year of just learning from the people around Kanye. Scott has the ceiling the size of Frodos basement.

OTOH he would probably just end up stealing their whole identity for a new record
I think this is arguably Kanye's biggest strength as a mentor. He did wonders in terms of refinement for all the big pick ups: Legend, Big Sean, CuDi, Common, Pusha T, CyHi even. Look at how their styles evolved and refined to the essence of what makes them notable. Some prospered more than others though, and some weren't as notable or worth investing in as a mentor or label in the first place (Cons, GLC, Teyana even).

TBH I kind of wish Jay did more of this. He pretty much gives his signees a big budget but is very hands off, even for non-rappers on Roc Nation, when I think he would have the most insight to offer in the game than everyone right now. Dude is really more comfortable getting in the studio with Rozay than doing groundwork with his own artists. It seems like most of the insight he has to offer is entrepreneurial than creative, though, and even still it's only other established artists who benefit instead of the J. Coles and Jay Elecs.

Didn't CuDi have his own style before Kanye came along? Same with Common, who has been heading into left territory for awhile.

Big Sean...CyHi...Pusha T...lol.

Esch

Banned
I think the big thing missing from his repertoire is socially conscious rap, which is strange considering his position in rap and his biggest influences (Little Brother/Kanye/small bit of Tribe).

Why do people insist so heavily on these everyday rapguy comparisons (and with Phonte too)? Drake draws on those sources but hes just as much a product of Jay-Z and Lil Wayne and Mase and guys like that. None of whom are guys interested in conscious rap.

lmao @ you trying to spin it like Kanye made those guys.

He just gave them a couple beats and album covers fam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom