• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Didn't CuDi have his own style before Kanye came along? Same with Common, who has been heading into left territory for awhile.

Big Sean...CyHi...Pusha T...lol.
Yeah, but MotM is his best project. Hooking CuDi up with Bhasker did wonders to his songmaking ability just like it did when Kanye linked up with Bhasker.

Big Sean - FF pieces together pop rap with great, more consistent production better than his mixtapes

CyHi - Black Hystori Project is still the best 2014 release by a longshot, made it so CyHi didn't need to dabble in stereotypical rapper topics to make a good release, and he just stayed true to what he knows and was raised around to make a cohesive project.

Pusha T - Debut album, as well as mixtapes diversified his style considerably, directly targeted subgenre stigmas and tackled them from additional perspectives, paired it with his own flavour of production and now dude is prospering more than ever. He's better than he's ever been, bar for bar or song for song.

Clear as day.

Why do people insist so heavily on these everyday rapguy comparisons (and with Phonte too)? Drake draws on those sources but hes just as much a product of Jay-Z and Lil Wayne and Mase and guys like that. None of whom are guys interested in conscious rap.

lmao @ you trying to spin it like Kanye made those guys.

He just gave them a couple beats and album covers fam.
What comparison? We're just talking about him being limited by content, not style. Style influences are something else entirely.

And Kanye benefitted those people's careers, you'd have to be ignorant to think he didn't. He didn't "make" them, no one said that. He just helped them reach that next plateau and generally cut varying degrees of fat from their styles. It's very apparent too, and you hear it from the horse's mouths all the time, over and over.

Esch

Banned
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/travis-scott-says-mike-brown-deserved-to-die-and-we-are-our-own-worse-enemy.245550/

Kim's latest instagram pic tho (nsfw)

"Bu-bu-but I don't eat ass" - gafhop

if you wouldn't dive tongue first into that you're no friend of mine.

BREH...........it's beautiful.

tumblr_inline_na9pw5tLFw1rosj9q.gif

IrishNinja

^nice edit so it wasnt on mariah/kim, haha

for real though, if i don't wanna hear travis on a track, i'm damn sure not interested in socio-political commentary

"I'm not saying he's an evil person, but..." --> instantly don't care what you have to say on this topic bruh. Fuck Travis Scott for that. Fuck Travis Scott for being so bent over and opened up by the industry that he sees other people being shot in the street, their communities outraged over it, and thinks "Maybe they should bend over and take it, too". Fuck that dude. Fuck his message, fuck anyone who shows that message to a kid of any race.

Worst part is he's just an idiot. I can't really be that mad at him. He just needs to learn that some shit you don't have to answer.

Yeah when that Travis scott interview was posted back a week ago I was pretty upset if you don't know what your talking about on a particular subject shut the fuck up. Dude said THE SAME SHIT about Trayvon back when that happened around the time he dropped Owl Pharaoh dude really said they won't have a reason to mess with us if we dressed better wearing a fucking GOLD GRILL.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
We talked about that Travis Scott quote already in this thread... and that thread title is 100% clickbait and actually reversing his statement.

Like, off of that inaccurate thread title alone you get shitposts like Pickles' right there.

But yeah, y'all not really tryna have all of the information in front of you except an excuse to shit on La Flame, so carry on.

Yeah when that Travis scott interview was posted back a week ago I was pretty upset if you don't know what your talking about on a particular subject shut the fuck up. Dude said THE SAME SHIT about Trayvon back when that happened around the time he dropped Owl Pharaoh dude really said they won't have a reason to mess with us if we dressed better wearing a fucking GOLD GRILL.
In the Trayvon situation it was straight victim blaming, this time, I don't believe so. He still couldn't articulate his point properly, though I think he made a lot of similar ones that Killer Mike made about stressing equality.

We talked about that Travis Scott quote already in this thread... and that thread title is 100% clickbait and actually reversing his statement.

Like, off of that inaccurate thread title alone you get shitposts like Pickles' right there.

But yeah, y'all not really tryna have all of the information in front of you except an excuse to shit on La Flame, so carry on.

Watch the video and listen to what the man says breh. The onus is placed on the community who just had one of their children murdered in the street (but he may have been evil tho) to keep peace. That's who the burden falls on. Not the large scale, highly funded, professional police force whose sole job is to protect the community. It's the people who are routinely subjected to higher rates of fines, disproportionately fund the district through said fines, and are arrested for completely arbitrary reasons. And if you feel some type of way about these things, you're just a 'fake activist'. Because GOD FORBID someone in the black community give a shit about their brothers and sisters across the world. Are the UN fake activists? Amnesty International? Holocaust survivors? The United States Department of Justice?

Not to mention the days of roving bands of armed men marching into local streets tossing out tear gas at nonviolent protestors trying to sleep and journalists trying to cover an abusive police force.

Travis Scott has spent years of his life being puppetted by the industry and has seen himself profit from it, so why shouldn't everyone else just be chill and get money? Because that's not how it works. Mike Brown wanted to rap too breh and he ended up dead in the street. Dude should have kept his mouth shut because he's an idiot.

Esch

Banned
You're right, I absolutely don't care about what Travis Scott has to say about anything. Didn't even listen to the video. Just posting for the fuckery
mjlolhjuci.gif

Cole is the Kanye successor that we need.

Isn't Travis Scott mentally challenged?

If he's not, his freestyles definitely gave off those vibes.

j cole sucks ass

and also i love la flame's music but a spade is a spade. dude can't articulate his thoughts at all just like the god yeezy.

Courage

I find the way people like Travis and Pharrell talk about the less fortunate black communities absolutely crazy. You'd think even if they grew up with a comfortable lifestyle they'd still know via friends, books, the environment in general. You have to be pretty out of touch to say shit like I'm the "new black" or "he should have suffered the consequences he inflicted on him" while stammering like an idiot.

I guess I wouldn't know how you change once you get famous, but I just expected some empathy.

Kwixotik

I got boxed wine and frozen lamb balls, I'm ballin now

Also I don't see Big Sean being a dick at all in that video (beyond his normal level, anyway). He was actually nicer than I expected him to be. I think he was a little awkward because he didn't seem to know shit about his hometown.

I think he's on his way Born Sinner wasn't what I expected but he's still got potential and I've heard he's going to let other producers do some beats on his next album. I'd like a balance between the story telling he had on Born Sinner with some songs like Rise and Shine or God's Gift or the few tracks on Born Sinner were he's actually spitting.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Watch the video and listen to what the man says breh. The onus is placed on the community who just had one of their children murdered in the street (but he may have been evil tho) to keep peace. That's who the burden falls on. Not the large scale, highly funded, professional police force whose sole job is to protect the community. It's the people who are routinely subjected to higher rates of fines, disproportionately fund the district through said fines, and are arrested for completely arbitrary reasons. And if you feel some type of way about these things, you're just a 'fake activist'. Because GOD FORBID someone in the black community give a shit about their brothers and sisters across the world. Are the UN fake activists? Amnesty International? Holocaust survivors? The United States Department of Justice?

Not to mention the days of roving bands of armed men marching into local streets tossing out tear gas at nonviolent protestors trying to sleep and journalists trying to cover an abusive police force.

Travis Scott has spent years of his life being puppetted by the industry and has seen himself profit from it, so why shouldn't everyone else just be chill and get money? Because that's not how it works. Mike Brown wanted to rap too breh and he ended up dead in the street. Dude should have kept his mouth shut because he's an idiot.
He didn't say only the Black community was responsible, nor did he put more weight one place or another. Yeah, there was a hint of victim blaming, but what dude was trying to say is that it's on the community not to perpetuate the notion that there needs to be that divide and give the system a reason to stay unaltered and police so called hoodlums. Escalation is the reason why Ferguson is as big of a deal as it is, and you can't meet escalation with escalation. He also didn't say that just because you show support you're a fake activist, not sure why you're going off on that either, more words in dude's mouth. Dude was trying to make a point about that because that's what all of his points revolve around, he just doesn't know how to articulate them. I don't think it's particularly difficult to see what he was trying to get at either. Should he have said nothing? Probably, because the bottom-line is that he is putting incoherent information out there, but people would have tried to go at his throat for not being informed just the same, probably even worse.

Cole has the least amount of diversity of like anyone but KRIT pretty much. Cole will fall off people's radars quickly if he doesn't switch shit up. He's not about that risky life.

And I don't think Travis Scott is mentally challenged, dude just lacks social education and tact.

Courage

enzo out here interpreting Travis declarations on Ferguson as if they're some kind of Shakespearean work. It was pretty clear what he meant, he wanted black people to stop jumping on shit like that too quickly because the black kid involved might be at fault instead.

He didn't say only the Black community was responsible, nor did he put more weight one place or another. Yeah, there was a hint of victim blaming, but what dude was trying to say is that it's on the community not to perpetuate the notion that there needs to be that divide and give the system a reason to stay unaltered and police so called hoodlums. Escalation is the reason why Ferguson is as big of a deal as it is, and you can't meet escalation with escalation. He also didn't say that just because you show support you're a fake activist, not sure why you're going off on that either, more words in dude's mouth. Dude was trying to make a point about that because that's what all of his points revolve around, he just doesn't know how to articulate them. I don't think it's particularly difficult to see what he was trying to get at either. Should he have said nothing? Probably, because the bottom-line is that he is putting incoherent information out there, but people would have tried to go at his throat for not being informed just the same, probably even worse.

tbh I'm taking a bigger L than Scott ever could for legitimately discussing his political beliefs. But even if that were his assessment, it's still wrong. Ferguson is a big deal because an unarmed black teenager was gunned down in the street for "reasons", the Ferguson police force was allowed to completely shut down any kind of investigation into his death, and the community wanted answers. Answers they still haven't gotten, for the most part. Things escalated when the community tried to get answers and were met by armed police officers.

But honestly, when he labels folks as escalators, fake activists, "evil" people who have it coming...what do you think he means? Why can't we just take the dude at his repeated word? Because this isn't the first time and it won't be the last. He went out of his way to mention the black community at the beginning of this interview, he goes out of his way to point out that black victims of crimes "have it coming", he calls black people "fake activists"...dude clearly believes black people are fucking up somewhere along the lines. Which is just weird considering his own damn music.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
tbh I'm taking a bigger L than Scott ever could for legitimately discussing his political beliefs. But even if that were his assessment, it's still wrong. Ferguson is a big deal because an unarmed black teenager was gunned down in the street for "reasons", the Ferguson police force was allowed to completely shut down any kind of investigation into his death, and the community wanted answers. Answers they still haven't gotten, for the most part. Things escalated when the community tried to get answers and were met by armed police officers.

But honestly, when he labels folks as escalators, fake activists, "evil" people who have it coming...what do you think he means? Why can't we just take the dude at his repeated word? Because this isn't the first time and it won't be the last. He went out of his way to mention the black community at the beginning of this interview, he goes out of his way to point out that black victims of crimes "have it coming", he calls black people "fake activists"...dude clearly believes black people are fucking up somewhere along the lines. Which is just weird considering his own damn music.
That's all escalation, and not all of the escalation is in the effects of Ferguson, the event itself is a clear display of escalation to the shoot first, ask questions later mentality in the police force. Racial discrimination compounds on that issue and is part of the reason for subsequent escalation. Escalating police brutality to literally equating some black kids' entire life being worth two cans he stole and put on the sidewalk, escalating authority to a fucking dictatorship whereby they express explicit control over the media.

I don't disagree with your second paragraph, despite the rest of it.

codhand

Kim's like "Oh boy, which of my naked pics were leaked?! :)
None?
Hold on lemme whip something up..."

Kanye executively produced it.

that just makes this comment funnier,

Exec producer basically doesnt do shit, so the possibility he did and still doesn't know it exists is a funny thought

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/travis-scott-says-mike-brown-deserved-to-die-and-we-are-our-own-worse-enemy.245550/

"to be fair, Michael Brown wasn't the sound of the culture. Can we really fault Travis Scott for making us think and blessing us with jewels we may not understand for another 3 years? I only wish someone could mix some 808s into the interview to make Travis more clear."
\
image.php

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Exec producer basically doesnt do shit, so the possibility he did and doesnt know it exists is a funny thought
I don't even know how to respond to this; I guess I should pity whatever projects you got that impression from because they had a shit executive producer.

BRB editing out 90% of RZA's discography

codhand

I don't even know how to respond to this; I guess I should pity whatever projects you got that impression from because they had a shit executive producer.

BRB editing out 90% of RZA's discography

it's an Executive Producer; movies, music whatever, it's a superficial role.

Yup Rza is the perfect example...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
it's an Executive Producer; movies, music whatever, it's a superficial role.

Yup Rza is the perfect example...
Again, I don't know how to respond to this. And one where emphasizing and italicizing a word that means control in decision making is supposed to support a notion that the role has no agency or effect and is superficial; sounds like ignorance to me.

Guess this is just reflective of how much perception of music production has changed since the internet started enabling so many young musicians to get out there. I suppose the A&R is next.

codhand

Again, I don't know how to respond to an argument that comes out of pure ignorance. And one where emphasizing and italicizing a word that means control in decision making is supposed to support a notion that the role has no agency or effect and is superficial.

Guess this is just reflective of how much perception of music production has changed since the internet started enabling so many young musicians to get out there. I suppose the A&R is next.

dre exec produced a lot of bs too, no need to call me ignorant.

Executive was italicized because executives don't do shit.

The main thing an Exec Producer does is lend his brand to a project. It's up to that Exec to make sure the project doesnt damage his brand but enhances it, but that doesn't always happen.

"Let me tell you about being executive producer. It is not a job, it's a title. Don't go around asking executive producers what they do because they don't do anything, alright?" morgan freeman,

Kwixotik

Again, I don't know how to respond to this. And one where emphasizing and italicizing a word that means control in decision making is supposed to support a notion that the role has no agency or effect and is superficial; sounds like ignorance to me.

In recorded music, record labels distinguish between an executive producer and a record producer. The executive producer is responsible for business decisions, whereas the music producer produces the music.[7] Sometimes the executive producer will enable the creative visions of featured artists by managing where and when to record, selection and employment of sound engineers or session musicians etc.[8]

From Wikipedia, it sort of seems like the executive producer doesn't have much of an impact besides making sure the shit will sell and who the artist records with.

Esch

Banned

The main thing an Exec Producer does is lend his brand to a project. It's up to that Exec to make sure the project doesnt damage his brand but enhances it, but that doesn't always happen.

Yup.

It's hilarious how the phrase 'executives don't do shit' could be extrapolated to so many other things :lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

This sounds so absolutely ridiculous and doesn't have a shred of ecological validity. Yeah, not going down this rabbit hole.

Executive producers in hip-hop help sculpt the sound of entire projects, and have creative input. Timbo, RZA, Kanye, all had creative input on the projects they worked on, that isn't just beat making or signing papers. This can be getting your hands dirty in the actual production, offering opinions on track/production/collaboration selection on all levels. It's their job to try and maximize product quality, and depending on how skilled they are they can take a number of responsibilities.

Are people seriously not aware of what this job is for? Or does the idea of a producer attaching their name to liner notes that nobody gives a fuck about to take some money off the top of an artist's revenue make sense? Or, like I mentioned above, are people just eager to shift blame/praise wherever convenient for their judgment on the final product? I honestly feel like I'm being trolled because this stems from Kanye, and I guess it's cool not to give him credit for having creative input on things he works on, often for weeks at a time.

From Wikipedia, it sort of seems like the executive producer doesn't have much of an impact besides making sure the shit will sell and who the artist records with.
I don't see how what you bolded, or what you did not bold, does not have an impact on the music. Plenty of artists entire careers are either on hold or going nowhere because of that stuff. It does not discount creative impact either.

cacophony

im sure there are times when the exec prod plays a huge role in the final result, and im sure there are times where all they do is sequence the album

but nah lets generalize an entire position

Courage

i actually think Kanye cares about the title of exec producer way more than most.

You can definitely tell some of the albums he exec. produced. My Name Is My Name has a very Kanye esque feel to it (obviously also because he produced a few tracks).

If there's anything we can say about Kanye, it's that he gives plenty of shits about anything his name is attached to

this is true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom