• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Banned
I believe Toku or Kam actually tried that rub

tumblr_lmmb0iaKd11qzea6yo1_r1_500.gif

Ugh this just reminds me of how much I hate power 106 and how often I end up listening to it in my car, those drops are so terrible. Glad I heard the song at his set last week but I could really use a decent version right around now.

Cudder

Is he still dropping Eastside Slim this year? Dude could easily have 2 albums in my top 5 if it was full of shit like that freestyle.

not necessarily dream projects, but things I wish would happen

Kendrick x Flyo

I think Kendrick could manage it, especially if they were in the studio from scratch. The backbone of the album would have to be zoned out, voice-altered Kendrick and he would need to scale back the complexity of his rhymes (very similar to what Esch mentions above RE: Shabazz), but if there's anyone in the game who can take that approach and still write A+ verses it's Kendrick. Just imagine Kendrick floating in and out of verses sporadically over some jazzier Flylo beats...shit would be insane.

Flylo x Kendrick was everything we dreamed it could be folks. Kendrick going HAM slowly disintegrating into his disembodied voice floating in and out of future space jazz. Can't wait to hear it on the record.

when dreams come true

5wXHH07.gif

Esch

Banned

23.gif

This is goofy as fuck lmao. Sounds like a Nujabes beat with some harry fraud claps all over it, bunch of random chit thrown on it and interludes everywhere. Musically, this is to rap what Edge of Sanity was to metal, just a bunch of goofy shit thrown together with lots of ups and downs here and there to create a sense of emotional tension. There's some cool shit in here but overall nah. A lot of these keyboard melodies remind me of things i'd hear by Dan Swano, Death after the Human album, and the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack. Kendrick babbling his face off with no empasis at 12,000,000 miles per hour again.

That Freddie Gibbs freestyle on the other hand is awesome. He knew what he was gonna do when he went in there and ripped that shit up like a champ.

Damn that sure was a power 106 world premiere

Anyways it just sounds aiight, Kendrick been pretty meh post-gkmc. Would like an instrumental tho because it reminded me of struggle nujabes

Freddie Gibbs....hoooo. MVP

If there's a problem I would say it's that Kendrick seems kind of slapped on top of the track. The way it bends to accommodate him (and vice versa) holds it back. But overall it works and with some fine tuning would be super dope. With Kendrick having all of FlyLo's rap beats on hold I imagine those thoughts are with him as he picks shit out and works on it for his album. Just needs to find a more natural bridging point between them.

RE: the interludes, rapid changes in direction, and random one-off notes, he def. crammed too much in. But with someone like FlyLo I am 100% willing to wait and see how a track fits within the albums' identity before saying those were mistakes. As a release point or climax that shit would go off, especially if the disposable elements on Never Catch Me are fully developed and explored on the record (and pieces of them definitely are).

Esch

Banned
If there's a problem I would say it's that Kendrick seems kind of slapped on top of the track. The way it bends to accommodate him (and vice versa) holds it back. But overall it works and with some fine tuning would be super dope. With Kendrick having all of FlyLo's rap beats on hold I imagine those thoughts are with him as he picks shit out and works on it for his album. Just needs to find a more natural bridging point between them.
Shit is godawful breh. It's barely intelligible. It's funny, because people were wondering whether he'd go the pop route or the semi-underground route, but he's going the worst route possible; shred-rap ala Canibus and Eminem.

RE: the interludes, rapid changes in direction, and random one-off notes, he def. crammed too much in. But with someone like FlyLo I am 100% willing to wait and see how a track fits within the albums' identity before saying those were mistakes. As a release point or climax that shit would go off, especially if the disposable elements on Never Catch Me are fully developed and explored on the record (and pieces of them definitely are).

I'm happy that we agree on this point, but on this track, right here, it was unfocused, poorly bridged, and worst of all crushed some of the fun points of this track, like the cheesy late 90s midi keyboard sounding melodies. I just think it's a mess overall.

Shit will probably be BNM.

Shit is godawful breh. It's barely intelligible. It's funny, because people were wondering whether he'd go the pop route or the semi-underground route, but he's going the worst route possible; shred-rap ala Canibus and Eminem.

He is, but there are moments where FlyLo dragged him into calming down. If they revisit collaborating again they need to kill a day listening to Shabazz and find some common elements. Kendrick needs to be more willing to float over beats instead of going in and FlyLo needs to encourage that pace in his production. The backing vocals would have worked really well if they were Kendrick super layered bridging his verses. I mentioned Blue Hawaii when talking about Shabazz before, but a lot of the spacial work they did with her vocals and toying with her voice as an element of the beat would translate well with the structure here. Really this track just got me super excited for directions they could go in with material on Kendrick's album and in the future.

At the same time it's hard to critique their approach without the context of the record. I have faith that it'll make sense where it lands and build off what came before it, but if it doesn't...will be a pretty big let down.

Shit will probably be BNM.

But was that ever really a question?

Esch

Banned
He is, but there are moments where FlyLo dragged him into calming down. If they revisit collaborating again they need to kill a day listening to Shabazz and find some common elements. Kendrick needs to be more willing to float over beats instead of going in and FlyLo needs to encourage that pace in his production. The backing vocals would have worked really well if they were Kendrick super layered bridging his verses. I mentioned Blue Hawaii when talking about Shabazz before, but a lot of the spacial work they did with her vocals and toying with her voice as an element of the beat would translate well with the structure here. Really this track just got me super excited for directions they could go in with material on Kendrick's album and in the future.

At the same time it's hard to critique their approach without the context of the record. I have faith that it'll make sense where it lands and build off what came before it, but if it doesn't...will be a pretty big let down.

But was that ever really a question?

Shit is really the perfect Flying Lotus track, IMO.

1-3 listens, "hmm that's interesting i guess, but overall it's very mechanical and inhumane", and then never listen again.

Kendrick came sorta with a super Control version of some of his Section 80 material, i guess. But overall, lots of ribibbigity riggidy Porky the Pig/Outkast shit going on. I'm pretty picky with that flibbity flubbububtiy shit.

1-3 listens, "hmm that's interesting i guess, but overall it's very mechanical and inhumane", and then never listen again.

Kendrick came sorta with a super Control version of some of his Section 80 material, i guess. But overall, lots of ribibbigity riggidy Porky the Pig/Outkast shit going on. I'm pretty picky with that flibbity flubbububtiy shit.
I feel like I would enjoyed it more if kendrick's verse was removed, but the rest of his vocals can stay

HiResDes

Nicky Da B died guys. I'm super fucking salty. One of the top five best live performers I've ever seen and I've seen hundreds.

I fux with it. Sounds like....a FlyLo track. It's not even really a "rap song" so I don't get the focus on that; FlyLo didn't make that thinking "I'm going to put a rapper on this." It's a spaced out jazz record, with Kendrick fading in and out like a horn solo.

He rapped about as well as one could rap on that, especially the run starting at the 50 second mark. What did yall expect? It's like rapping over Lightworks: barring catching the abstract holy ghost you're not going to succeed. And I think Kendrick came as close as anyone would. Why would you expect some lyrical shit?

but fuck all that. We're not gonna talk about Thundercat's bass on this record?!
HHDZVs5.png

TLDR: you'll cowards don't even listen to jazz.

big ander

mmmm yeah I liked that track well enough. With net wrecker though, FlyLo in particular I need to hear an album from to really judge coherently

Gonna listen to Cosmogramm on repeat, get psyched

overcast

Listened to it twice. The track is dope to me, but the gradual growth into faster and faster spitting, into him trying too hard to kill it, that's not great. After that it gets better, love Kendrick's vocals in the background as the music takes the front stage in the back half.

Kendrick's verse itself could have been left, but I was vibing with the bit of vocal distortion spitting before he goes in like I said earlier. That aspect has me worried for Kendrick's album. I think FlyLo definitely does his thing here.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

1390889-nail_on_the_head.jpg

Gaw Damn. Esch with that perfect description of Flylo.

I hope we get to hear the rest of their collabs.

Please don't end up on a random hard drive on some random computer and never see the light of day

deli2000

The FlyLo track is okay, but like Esch said it feels really corny with all these transitions, and Kendrick doesn't really fit in with the track like FlyLo's other guest vocalists have. I'll probably have to hear it in the context of the album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom