• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
I find it interesting that you try to take personal shots whenever you get into a debate or argument but hey, you're still my breh. But you're looking mad sensitive right now. I'm chilling eating some black bean tacos and sonning French Montana. Not the best Thursday night but I'll take it.

Yeah, I definitely went over the line (though after a certain point I have to question your 'trolling') but I guess I responded the way I did because your responses to me are just as personal; except instead of closetedness you like to attack my race (and you have been recently a lot for some reason), leading me to escalate in kind.
jbvaG4iLrS5nfN.png

Either way you're right, it doesn't serve either of us to argue like that. Left you a PM (pause)

Yeah, I definitely went over the line (though after a certain point I have to question your 'trolling') but I guess I responded the way I did because your responses to me are just as personal; except instead of closetedness you like to attack my race (and you have been recently a lot for some reason), leading me to escalate in kind.
jbvaG4iLrS5nfN.png

Either way you're right, it doesn't serve either of us to argue like that. Left you a PM (pause)

How is that personal though? I expect and receive similar comments about black people here but mainly on the other forum, and it doesn't bother me; I recognize it's in jest. I have no ill will towards Indian people, and all of my jokes have been pretty tongue in cheek or else I would have been banned. I've made like two or three of those jokes recently. I've always made jokes about my own race, especially with respect to conspiracies.

To piggyback on this discussion, this track is a good example of having both simplistic (or at least stripped down) rapping and production. Roc's signature flow is essentially a group of phrases strung together with ellipses and imo it has a nice synergy with the mellow bassline. The sporadic imagery, the sparse drums, Roc's playing off of the sample all contribute to that synergy, and Evidence's verse just prior provides some nice contrast as it has a more conventional flow and a clever rhyme scheme.

Esch

Banned
Not gonna lie, I don't have much of a desire to see Guardians because of Chris Pratt as a lead. I never really cared for him on Parks and Rec at all. I never saw Moneyball tho.
How is that personal though? I expect and receive similar comments about black people here but mainly on the other forum, and it doesn't bother me; I recognize it's in jest. I have no ill will towards Indian people, and all of my jokes have been pretty tongue in cheek or else I would have been banned. I've made like two or three of those jokes recently. I've always made jokes about my own race, especially with respect to conspiracies.
Because they're directed at me, and not say, enzo or Discotheque? Fair enough though.... It's not worth arguing about really.

studyguy

not gonna lie I kind of want Ant-Man to bomb. it just blows my mind that it's even getting made.

Fuck, I watched Spider Man 2 all faded and even that didn't stop it from being shit. Oh and should I pregame before watching guardians? There's a bar infront of the theaters and every time I watch something with a group we roll there first. Fucking internet has me thinking everything is gonna cause my jaw to fall off since I got a wisdom out last Friday.

Not gonna lie, I don't have much of a desire to see Guardians because of Chris Pratt as a lead. I never really cared for him on Parks and Rec at all. I never saw Moneyball tho.

he's kind of lame in parks and rec. but the dude's got this everyman charm going for him in movies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
not gonna lie I kind of want Ant-Man to bomb. it just blows my mind that it's even getting made.
Ant-Man had a chance to be the best Marvel film going off of the test footage + concept they had + Edgar Wright. If they hire a good fight choreographer it's pretty much a lock.

Without Edgar Wright.. I mean I still have faith in Marvel but I'm super skeptical. Feige understands what makes a good comic book movie in a way Sony and Fox (less so) don't. There's no reason why a fucking Days of Future Past movie is probably going to be outclassed by a Guardians of the Galaxy film, but it's happening.

Esch

Banned
gawd tier parks characters
Ron
Tom
Leslie

good tier
Ben
Chris
April

meh tier
Donna
Andy
Ann

shit tier
Jerry

Ron
Tom
Leslie

good tier
Ben
Chris
April

meh tier
Donna
Andy
Ann

shit tier
Jerry

Mmmmm Andy in limited doses is in my good tier but otherwise I can get with this. Donna just never gets her own development, it's always in relation to someone else (typically Tom, but sometimes Ann, sometimes April). Basically this list is in order of "who gets the most opportunity for actual character growth"

Gay dude needs to be below shit tier tho. Fuck that guy is everything wrong with recent P&R.

Ron
Tom
Leslie

good tier
Ben
Chris
April

meh tier
Donna
Andy
Ann

shit tier
Jerry

Andy was amazing in Season 2...after that he's good for a joke here or there but nothing more. Donna is better now but even then she's a one liner joke. Jerry is just kinda there.

The Gay dude was funny for that one episode he first appeared in, and then it was like...oh that's all you're going to do with him so I lost interest.

The best one note joke character was probably Jean-Ralphio cause he plays a character you wanna hit in the face soo well

The difference between Andy and screaming gay dude is sincerity. There is a genuine human being that we've seen and experienced for multiple seasons tied to Andy. Someone who is caring, committed, interested in the lives of others, ambitious, and kind (alongside being dumb, occasionally selfish, etc). We might not see that often anymore because the writing is shit, but if you've watched from the beginning you know it's there and it informs your thoughts on who he is now. Which is why the concert episode resonated so well, Andy was given something momentous and it meant a lot to him and we all understand the inner workings of it. The appreciation and enthusiasm he had in that episode was awesome.

Gay screaming dude is just a gay screaming dude because he was never given that and never will be given that now that the show is done developing characters. So why the fuck is he in the show?

Esch

Banned
Mmmmm Andy in limited doses is in my good tier but otherwise I can get with this. Donna just never gets her own development, it's always in relation to someone else (typically Tom, but sometimes Ann, sometimes April). Basically this list is in order of "who gets the most opportunity for actual character growth"

Gay dude needs to be below shit tier tho. Fuck that guy is everything wrong with recent P&R.

i want to like Donna but sometimes it feels like her character is just the embodiment of this:

iwy6QQBTSLZ42.gif

They use her and Jerry (lol) as a foil for how weird everyone else is too frequently. It's unfortunate, but it's a comedy staple. That's why I loved that Chappelle Mad Real World with Chad, amazing skit.

I actually included to an extent acting in that. Rashida Jones for example; just very boring, not very emotive etc.

Cheddahz

Banned
Ron
Tom
Leslie

good tier
Ben
Chris
April

meh tier
Donna
Andy
Ann

shit tier
Jerry

fully agree with your list (expect i would have april in gawd tier and ann in good tier, just because it's rashida jones)

edit: actually, donna could go into the shit tier as well. she's basically a female tom (or that's what they tried to make her to be after the first season) that has no depth like tom does

i want to like Donna but sometimes it feels like her character is just the embodiment of this:

iwy6QQBTSLZ42.gif

They use her and Jerry (lol) as a foil for how weird everyone else is too frequently. It's unfortunate, but it's a comedy staple. That's why I loved that Chappelle Mad Real World with Chad, amazing skit.

I actually included to an extent acting in that. Rashida Jones for example; just very boring, not very emotive etc.

Very true RE: Donna. But that's what happens when you have no interest in fleshing out a character and decide to keep them around anyway. The show would be better off focusing on who they actually care about and cutting off the extraneous folks entirely. Or it would have been before the last season made everyone equally awful.

Acting wise I would actually have Pratt toward the top with Poehler and Offerman. So many of his adlibs are money, like this. And he clearly has ability just watching his film work. He's just fully into being Andy in a way that obscures his actual talent and the work that goes into playing the role.

fully agree with your list (expect i would have april in gawd tier and ann in good tier, just because it's rashida jones)

edit: actually, donna could go into the shit tier as well. she's basically a female tom (or that's what they tried to make her to be after the first season) that has no depth like tom does

I think Tom is supposed to be the male Donna more than the other way around....but it doesn't work, because Tom gets SIGNIFICANTLY more time than Donna. Like, Tom has entire episodes that are built around him while Donna gets segments or appearances in someone's plotline.

Esch

Banned
Jean Ralphio is amazing, for one distinct reason. If you know any yuppies, you've met at least one guy like him. Young, sitting on a bunch of capital he's not ready to handle, overcompensating with some form of ridiculous looking personal style, is dying to dump his funds into some form of startup, probably does Crossfit.

Very true RE: Donna. But that's what happens when you have no interest in fleshing out a character and decide to keep them around anyway. The show would be better off focusing on who they actually care about and cutting off the extraneous folks entirely. Or it would have been before the last season made everyone equally awful.

Acting wise I would actually have Pratt toward the top with Poehler and Offerman. So many of his adlibs are money, like this. And he clearly has ability just watching his film work. He's just fully into being Andy in a way that obscures his actual talent.
Yea dude i wanna fuck w/donna as a character because she's a female person of color and i'd like to see more of them get roles but it's very disappointing to see it as a half ass or as a counterfoil for white people. When the thrust of a colored character is that she's 'other' you're limiting her for no reason. Open it up.

Jean Ralphio is amazing, for one distinct reason. If you know any yuppies, you've met at least one guy like him. Young, sitting on a bunch of capital he's not ready to handle, overcompensating with some form of ridiculous looking personal style, is dying to dump his funds into some form of startup, probably does Crossfit.

pbd6FIl.jpg

T Dollarz

Parks and Rec used to be so, so good. Season 2-4 are some of my favorite television comedy ever. Then s5&6 it really started to tank. Seemed like they took a whole new direction. S6 was so bad idk if I can watch the final season. I just wanna remember it for how it used to be.

Andy was my favorite character before they took his schtick of being an idiot just way too far to the point that now basically all of his lines are just throwaway. In the early-mid seasons his character was so money though. Really what it boils down to is the writing. I love the entire cast but the past two seasons have ruined just about everyone except maybe April and Donna. But yeah, nobody made me laugh out loud like Andy did when his character was actually given compelling arcs and storytelling driving the humor.

DominoKid

i feel lucky to not know anybody like jean ralphio cause i'd want to run my fist into his jaw on a regular basis.

Perd and Councilman Jamm are my favorite sidecharacters.

Cheddahz

Banned

Jean Ralphio is one of my favorite characters on the show, shame he isn't a regular on it

Esch

Banned
i feel lucky to not know anybody like jean ralphio cause i'd want to run my fist into his jaw on a regular basis.

TBH, John Ralphios aren't the worst; they buy lots of drinks, they make decent wingmen, they're usually pretty friendly, mostly optimistic. They're go getters by nature, and outgoing. If you're ever feeling like a downer a bit when you're about to go out, a John Ralphio is a go-to. Just don't talk to them about society /inequality/justice/international rights or anything of consequence or gravity.

Cheddahz

Banned
Please talk about more garbage shows for pages brehs... Shit started like a wack Office spinoff

When Parks and Rec started (remember, the creator of The Office US left that show to make Parks and Rec), it was far superior to The Office US (since that show had fallen apart after the fourth season) and yeah, it was good until like the fifth season (which was just downright terrible compared to the rest of the series)

Esch

Banned
Parks and Rec isn't garbage, it's ok I guess. I like it more than The Office or It's Always Sunny which I always thought were crap. What other mediocre yet ultrawatchable shows you think we should discuss though? How about Arrow? I love that show even though I don't give a fuck about comics and it's so CW. Just pure nacho cheese, right into my veins.

Cheddahz

Banned
We could always talk about the fourth season of Arrested Development (if you guys wanna talk about some other "wack shows")

I know I've posted it a million times, but this song is a certified banger, and really only could've been done by French. It's probably his best song, mostly because it sounds well produced, mixed, recorded, and engineered unlike most of his best songs. It's the epitome of wavy to me and one of his coolest verses with all sorts of flow changes.

This song alone, says to me that French has some raw talent that is waiting to be translated to a pretty great album under the right executive producer.

Mean
Agreed with this one hundred percent. Just speaking from my soul right here.

Arrow is the GOAT mediocre excellence show. S1 and Stephen Amell catching bodies every five minutes. Everyone being super hot. The island wig. Slade wrecking dudes. Massive plot developments every episode or two. Classic and obscure DC shoutouts and appearances. So good.

HiResDes

Not gonna I only have time for the absolute best shows these days when I listen to music even I'm almost always multi tasking.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TV shows are way too much of a time investment. Seasons upon seasons are daunting and the prospect of watching something new only to have it go to shit later but you still being attached to it like a phantom limb isn't attractive.

This thread + Guardians has me interested in Parks and Rec, dunno though. Last shows I watched were The Wire and in the past few weeks Game of Thrones because of pretty universal acclaim. Y'all been hyping The Shield but I kind of want something different, just dunno what.

Eh I'll defend Arrested Development S4. Starts quite poorly but once the better characters get episodes it recovers, and ends quite nicely. I'll never understand why they started with Michael and George Sr. - two characters who are mainly funny when paired with others. Focusing entirely on them without the rest of the cast just didn't work.

Basically once Gob shows up in the seventh episode it gets good.

I'll defend Arrested Development season 4 purely on the basis that it's an incredibly ridiculous way to approach a season of television, and even when it wasn't outright funny, the plotting was insane.

Esch

Banned
only current show i'm watching right now is Last Week Tonight with John Oliver da gawd (best new show of the year. Sorry True Detective, i've seen too many cop and crime dramas and i'm tired of it). Feel like I should give Veep a try though.

Arrow is the GOAT mediocre excellence show. S1 and Stephen Amell catching bodies every five minutes. Everyone being super hot. The island wig. Slade wrecking dudes. Massive plot developments every episode or two. Classic and obscure DC shoutouts and appearances. So good.

ibrI37YG3NSM99.gif

HiResDes

The worst season of OG Arrested Development trumps mediocre Parks and Recreation. But then again maybe I have a different sense of humor than general GAF. Someone once informed me that Community was hilarious.

big ander

I love parks and andy. Heard Arrow's good. rn I'm making my way thru adventure time, t&e awesome show great job, and it's always sunny. Seen plenty of episodes of each but wanna catch up fully. I'm 2 eps behind on wilfred's final season but it's dece. edit: also community is hilarious
nathan for you is the only comedy show that matters rn
I haven't seen dumb starbucks yet but I know it's going to be god-tier. I can't wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom