• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've seen clips from John Oliver's show and all I keep thinking is that he's just way better as a correspondent and in small doses where his humour is balanced by some of the others correspondents and John. Then again, I kind of liked Colbert better as a correspondent and when he was opposing John too.

Esch

Banned
How'd you guys like Arrow? Gonna watch it after I catch up with Supernatural

Awesome. It's definitely heavy handed and soap operatic and some of that CW DNA shows through, but it makes up for it heavily with genuinely great action scenes, episode to episode pacing that keeps you hooked, largely non-corny costume design, etc etc. About as entertaining as superhero anything in a live tv format gets.

Punisher should have gotten a show. HBO.

I've seen clips from John Oliver's show and all I keep thinking is that he's just way better as a correspondent and in small doses where his humour is balanced by some of the others correspondents and John. Then again, I kind of liked Colbert better as a correspondent and when he was opposing John too.

I felt the opposite. I got the feeling on Stewart that Oliver was held back and forced into the framework of the show. He hits on topics and a outside looking in viewpoint that most mainstream news throws in the bushes, and he's funny while doing it.

Watch an episode, I guess.

Guardians is pretty great, top three Marvel for sure but I've yet to see iron man 3 and I need to rewatch Avengers post hype.

IrishNinja

arrested development is of course one of the comedy GOATs but i cant finish the last season

kinda amazed non-comic fans enjoy Arrow, it really does pick up in the 2nd season though. Agents of SHIELD was kinda booty till the cap 2 tie-in as well

Oh I'm at the beginning of season 2 of arrow and I really enjoyed the series up to this point, but I've really enjoyed the WB/CW shows for as long as I remember.

Cudder

Arrow is the GOAT mediocre excellence show. S1 and Stephen Amell catching bodies every five minutes. Everyone being super hot. The island wig. Slade wrecking dudes. Massive plot developments every episode or two. Classic and obscure DC shoutouts and appearances. So good.
Arrow fucking sucks. Fucking soap opera bullshit

Arrow is a really, really good show even with all of its faults. Everything the folks above me wrote is true, but something that really stands out is how much the show runners and actors love the show. Everything is coming from a place of love and they seriously care about the level of quality on screen. Which usually isn't true for shows like Arrow, a lot of the time they're cash grabs.

Honestly it took me a while to accept that there's so much good media that I can't keep up with it all. I'm finally at peace with missing out on shows, movies, comics, etc as an adult. And that opened up watching the mediocre excellence shows (Brooklyn 99, Arrow, Parks and Rec, etc). Best personal growth of my post-college life. I'm fine with not watching Fargo or The Americans and other fringe legit high quality shows and just vegging out on Arrow for three hours.

Esch

Banned
kinda amazed non-comic fans enjoy Arrow, it really does pick up in the 2nd season though. Agents of SHIELD was kinda booty till the cap 2 tie-in as well
I enjoyed comics in my younger years but it got too confusing with the continuities and time lines etc. I kept watching the cartoons till DBZ crushed the buildings and manga made it over here. It was better drawn by no small amount, did more than superheroes topically, etc. To me, comics were the dinosaurs, it was America's graphic novel ice age. Meanwhile Japan had Death Note. YuYuHakusho, InuYasha, Rurouni Kenshin. No contest.

Arrow is great though; it's largely self contained, gets the cheese factor perfect for live tv. It's ironic isn't it? Enjoy comic book related stuff in every form but drawn or animated lol.

big ander

arrested development is of course one of the comedy GOATs but i cant finish the last season

Finishing the last season is exactly what would make it at least decent, because the season is basically a 350 minute episode (which is a dumb, dumb structure)

IrishNinja

I enjoyed comics in my younger years but it got too confusing with the continuities and time lines etc. I kept watching the cartoons till DBZ crushed the buildings and manga made it over here. It was better drawn by no small amount, did more than superheroes topically, etc. To me, comics were the dinosaurs, it was America's graphic novel ice age. Meanwhile Japan had Death Note. YuYuHakusho, InuYasha, Rurouni Kenshin. No contest.

as a huge manga fan: i get you, but you were reading the wrong books.
the vertigo golden age (Sandman, Preacher, Transmet etc) was thankfully self-contained, and some of the best creator-owned stuff to this day is as well. however, the huge jump in art - blurring vs motion lines, letting the artist tell the story instead of the writer sometimes, ets - was no doubt a huge & welcome change, you'd prolly dig Scott Mcloud's Understanding Comics if you were ever inclined, kinda highlights the bigger manga/etc contributions.

i mean fuck, Lone Wolf & Cub was written in like the 70's, that's still a top 3 of all time book for me. ps let's not act like Kenshin should be continued past the kyoto arc haha

Finishing the last season is exactly what would make it at least decent, because the season is basically a 350 minute episode (which is a dumb, dumb structure)

agreed
i'm largely there for the marvel fanfare/fanservice type bits and again, Deathlok was cool but really, it only got interesting when things fell apart/heel turn etc

Zabuza

Banned
Wu Tang/Run the Jewels concert in SLC was a success.

RTJ killed it, great energy, spit every bar, did the whole album. Excellent stuff. Got hi-fives from both of them too.

Wu was surprisingly really great. Every member except for Meth and Raekwon's lazy ass. They killed it though, lots of variety, good breath control. Just a really excellent and hype show all around.

Crowd was pretty annoying though and most people didn't know any RTJ or Wu bars, but still a great time. Front row too. Loved it.

Gaf hop fuckery.

Onyx are some goons. That's why they are where they are. Gotta be able to play the game to make it in the industry. Watch the new album sell in the 00's.

I still fuck with them tho

Esch

Banned
as a huge manga fan: i get you, but you were reading the wrong books.
the vertigo golden age (Sandman, Preacher, Transmet etc) was thankfully self-contained, and some of the best creator-owned stuff to this day is as well. however, the huge jump in art - blurring vs motion lines, letting the artist tell the story instead of the writer sometimes, ets - was no doubt a huge & welcome change, you'd prolly dig Scott Mcloud's Understanding Comics if you were ever inclined, kinda highlights the bigger manga/etc contributions.

It wasn't just the huge difference in action scene quality (though good call, that). It was difference in sheer detail. The way manga used tones and played around with the inking and density etc. in each individual scene was so craaaazy, it made black and white more beautiful than color to me. I will check those out for sure.

PS: the Enishiro arc is okay. It's a decent way to end.

IrishNinja

no doubt, still in awe when i see the detail otomo did in Akira, Domu etc...we talk shit but Miura's similar in Berserk, he looks like he spends forever drawing chandeliers in splash-page galla ball events. one of my favorite quotes:

"I always say, you have to create drama - even when you draw a tree or a stone." - Goseki Kojima (Lone Wolf & Cub, Samurai Executioner)

PS: the Enishiro arc is okay. It's a decent way to end.

was that the christian dude? anime got me fucked up on that terrible-ass gemoancer fight

Esch

Banned
was that the christian dude? anime got me fucked up on that terrible-ass gemoancer fight

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that despite your elite animu black belt you never read the RK manga which has the author doing Kenshin's backstory and the real end of the story. They never animated it, and instead came up with a bunch of shitty arcs to milk the series that were stupid as hell.

ibfRXTiUwHYDas.gif

edit also goat manga art is still vagabond good gawd

cant be topped
^

I tried getting into manga but western comics got too strong a hold on me

what would be like, seminal works if I did want to grab some tho? I ducked into the thread on GAF once but what I was seeing posted had me backing out

Esch

Banned
I tried getting into manga but western comics got too strong a hold on me

what would be like, seminal works if I did want to grab some tho? I ducked into the thread on GAF once but what I was seeing posted had me backing out
Seminal works you can fuck with later. I'm just going to recommend you things I like that I think you'll like.

Vagabond by Inoue is nothing short of amazing. Probably the best retelling of Miyamoto Musashis life. 10/10.

Monster is also great. Its about a serial killer. Some people prefer the animu, but I don't care for animu these days.

Planetes; about people and space cleanup. Very nice if you want something that slowly branches into issues.

Nausicaa; environmentalism, strong female characters, hayao miyazaki.

Vinland Saga; the story of a Nordic island boy who becomes an elite killer in wars on the mainland. Highly recommended. Hits many of the same redemption and violence themes as Vagabond but in a different world view.

Shokugeki no Soma; lighthearted story about a guy trying to be the best chef in the world, but wants to stick to his peculiar style; elevated diner/home style food.

3 of these are still ongoing, only ones I still read.

IrishNinja

I'm gonna go ahead and assume that despite your elite animu black belt you never read the RK manga which has the author doing Kenshin's backstory and the real end of the story. They never animated it, and instead came up with a bunch of shitty arcs to milk the series that were stupid as hell.

ibfRXTiUwHYDas.gif

edit also goat manga art is still vagabond good gawd

cant be topped
^

goddamn, yeah Vagabond is amazing, great choice. im almost tempted to read Slam Dunk one day
also: busted, time to finish the manga then haha

Planetes; about people and space cleanup. Very nice if you want something that slowly branches into issues.

Vinland Saga; the story of a Nordic island boy who becomes an elite killer in wars on the mainland. Highly recommended. Hits many of the same redemption and violence themes as Vagabond but in a different world view.

Shokugeki no Soma; lighthearted story about a guy trying to be the best chef in the world, but wants to stick to his peculiar style; elevated diner/home style food.

these 3 i haven't read, and feel bad now cause my boy has been putting me onto Planetes for like a decade now

ahahahaha i said goddamn, lemme make sure that URL isn't locked down tho
this was an excellent way to answer my threepeat, by the way

overcast

Brehs. Parks and Rec is a great show, but season 5 was a step down for sure. Haven't seen season 6.

Guardians was pretty great, I think I preferred it to Winter Soldier, but the action wasn't super well done and Ronan was a weak ass villain. Love the chemistry between the leads.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Ya'll done talking bout hip.hop in here? When did we turn into imdb.com?

Wu Tang/Run the Jewels concert in SLC was a success.

RTJ killed it, great energy, spit every bar, did the whole album. Excellent stuff. Got hi-fives from both of them too.

Wu was surprisingly really great. Every member except for Meth and Raekwon's lazy ass. They killed it though, lots of variety, good breath control. Just a really excellent and hype show all around.

That's awesome. Glad Wu showed up.

Esch

Banned
That last Kevin Gates tape was fucking flames

kind of a done to death lane but I like Stranger than Fiction/By Any Means. He has a good sense for melody and can be catchy but his production is a little too generic, should be looking into some more wavy/a$ap type material and set himself apart a little.

kind of a done to death lane but I like Stranger than Fiction/By Any Means. He has a good sense for melody and can be catchy but his production is a little too generic, should be looking into some more wavy/a$ap type material and set himself apart a little.
I agree. I think after the last couple of tapes it should be time to branch out a bit. I don't think its going to happen though, which is fine, but I probably won't listen to it until someone reminds me to.

studyguy

dudes, yall gotta listen to this even if you don't like her. this is hands down,the WORST attempt at flipping an old classic track I've ever heard.

That leak quality doesn't help any either. Sounds like it was playing through a muffled phone.
It'll get 30+mil views on youtube when it finally drops for real.

nicki minaj anaconda leak

dudes, yall gotta listen to this even if you don't like her. this is hands down,the WORST attempt at flipping an old classic track I've ever heard.

iDiQr6XEbqSLF.gif

I like the part where the synths and claps are going at rapid speed, starting at the 1 minute mark. That definitely works but everything else is trash.

Worse yet the lyrics and rapping and just horrible. Sounds forced. Is it just me or does Nicki almost never sound sexy, even when she's saying freaky shit? Maybe I'm looking at it through nostalgia lens but I remember Lil Kim and Foxy Brown saying shit that sort of god me aroused. And Kim was definitely more naturally attractive, although I'm not gonna sit up here and claim Nicki isn't hot. But everything about her seems forced and fake.

Watching this new Joey Badass short film...so far it's corny as fuck

Watch "No Regrets": A Short Film From Green Label and Joey Bada$$

Viewers witness this journey through the eyes of Joey from the year 2062, where we see an alternate life path take place after the rapper meets the love of his life. From there, it becomes a whirlwind of priceless moments that Joey will never forget. The film is a riveting tale that will make you ponder your own life choices in the process.

HiResDes

It's interesting to see the influx of so many hybrid crooner/rapper artists come along again long after the emergence of Drake. I guess the style is coming back into prominence or experiencing a second wind of sorts. Anyway, many of these rappers possess such an immense talent and at least attempt to wax poetical and perceptive lyrics, so I can't really hate on the trend at all yet. It seems like these artists were just waiting for the right to come out of the woodwork so to speak

Now regarding Pell, there's one artist that will instantly come to mind, so let's just go ahead and address the inevitable comparisons to Chance that he's going to garner. When you first hear Pell it's going to be very hard not to instantly think of the aforementioned rapper. He definitely sounds a bit like him, and even the production has the same mid-tempo atmospheric characteristics found in many of the tracks on Acid Raps.

I think Pell actually might be even more versatile than Chance on some level. His flow really seems quite adaptable. He can rap really fast and then get just sluggish enough on a murky, dense track like Kreation to really insert himself into the depths of the foggy production. Pell's ability to navigate within strong conceptual themes is one of the strengths that he shares with Chance.

However, with a few skits or interludes thrown in to really clarify some of the topics, Floating While Dreaming might have felt as united as Acid Raps. The project does start to feel a bit long by the end, even though it's only thirteen tracks, as there aren't enough uptempo tracks to offer enough change of pace to the somewhat meandering composition of the majority. Pell also croons a bit too much throughout, and while his voice is nice, it's not really quite adequate to carry entire tracks. He also is going to have to find something to separate himself from his peers. He doesn't have any good adlibs or anything to distinguish himself yet, except for maybe his extremely talented circle of friends. Curtis Williams and Dent May really elevate the tracks they're featured on, and electronic producer Tomas Barfod seems to be a really good fit for Pell.

Strong 6

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Was Nicki's verse on Monster confirmed Ghost Written?
I don't know about ghost-written in it's entirely, but we know Kanye helped write it.

Nicki Minaj has some of the most ghostwriting allegations I've seen from any artists in a minute. Really bad look for females in rap period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom