• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

I think ROC nation set up a damn good strategy for mustard. Give away his album free on Google play and let Google pay for each download and grind as a DJ playing shows. The album was going wood anyway.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
catch me boolin' with my slimes, THEM MY YOUNGINS

tumblr_mp4hw8YggS1swa02co1_500.gif

I was thinking of doing that, and still might.. But Smash hype is getting to me, definitely need one before then.

Oh yeah, hip hop.

You catching Guardians tomorrow brah?

Nah I'm watching it on the weekend though

Dat waka remix is great, Enzo your link is broken tho

just finished season 3 of The Shield. as was said in the last thread, a bit too much filler. enough of yall have said that shit picks up soon, so i'll stick with it.

not necessarily dream projects, but things I wish would happen

Kendrick x Flyo
Nosaj x Teebs
jonwayne x Knxledge (or either x Madlib)
Riff Raff x Cashmere Cat
DOOM x Earl (DOOM & Gloom)

Esch

Banned
Can't lie brehs, French Montana God Body is one of my favorite tracks of the year, easy. During that keyboard breakdown I can feel my spirit bubbling, too wavy.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Of course y'all hating on some grainy ass snippet. Idk why you expect amazing lyrics out of ye since cons isn't in the picture anymore...oh wait I forgot y'all just those ninjas that love to hate. I'll be expecting dope beats and bravado all around. Y'all can keep expecting Kanye to be some shit he ain't.

Detox

Can't lie brehs, French Montana God Body is one of my favorite tracks of the year, easy. During that keyboard breakdown I can feel my spirit bubbling, too wavy.
This could be 2014 fast life or another AZ and Nas classic but alas it is made by two disposable artists and will be forgotten in 6 months.

Esch

Banned
This could be 2014 fast life or another AZ and Nas classic but alas it is made by two disposable artists and will be forgotten in 6 months.

mjlol.png
give nas or any 90s rapper that beat and it's a garbage track, they'd try to rap over it super loud or complex and make it an absolute mess.

I can see Rick Ross on it, or maybe Young Jeezy. That's about as far as "good" rapping gets you on a beat like that. Can't think of anything funnier than Rae or AZ fumbling all over that.

HiResDes

I don't like that sample at all, it's too overbearing and all I can hear is the original track it was taken from sloppily chopped to make a bogus chorus that doesn't fit anything at all.

Detox

Acting like you can't be smooth and complex. The God would ride that masterfully with his raspy voice and his chemistry with AZ would elevate that shit to classic status. You're acting like Chunx and French ain't trying to put bars together, they just do it badly is all.

injurai

Banned
not necessarily dream projects, but things I wish would happen

Kendrick x Flyo
Nosaj x Teebs
jonwayne x Knxledge (or either x Madlib)
Riff Raff x Cashmere Cat
DOOM x Earl (DOOM & Gloom)

Flying Lotus is masterful, but I've not been too impressed with the songs that he's produced for others. You lose his style when trying to match the rapper, and rappers can't match themselves to him.

I don't even think Kendrick could work it. But that's a challenge, I'd like to see work.

Esch

Banned
Acting like you can't be smooth and complex. The God would ride that masterfully with his raspy voice and his chemistry with AZ would elevate that shit to classic status. You're acting like Chunx and French ain't trying to put bars together, they just do it badly is all.
Nah. What you're suffering from is a key dusty old east coast head problem. Y'all want the layeredest beats and the most dense verses. You can't have both, it's a mess. It's like pairing heavily spiced rich food with tannin heavy, thick wines. You want harmony, not conflict and contrast. Take the new Shabazz Palaces for example. Huge complex beats with lots of different elements. But the raps are piece meal, almost spoken word style rather than a standard verse dictated by a continuous rap flow. Kind of like French or Max B style over the wavy joints.

Flying Lotus is masterful, but I've not been too impressed with the songs that he's produced for others. You lose his style when trying to match the rapper, and rappers can't match themselves to him.

I don't even think Kendrick could work it. But that's a challenge, I'd like to see work.

I think Kendrick could manage it, especially if they were in the studio from scratch. The backbone of the album would have to be zoned out, voice-altered Kendrick and he would need to scale back the complexity of his rhymes (very similar to what Esch mentions above RE: Shabazz), but if there's anyone in the game who can take that approach and still write A+ verses it's Kendrick. Just imagine Kendrick floating in and out of verses sporadically over some jazzier Flylo beats...shit would be insane.

100% right about his beats for others being a mixed bag. Just tough to get your mind around his work as a rapper I would imagine.

HiResDes

I guess I'm the only one not feeling that beat, but I've also heard Crave You more times than anyone should hear any single song.

Flylo needs a rapper with a kind of monotonous style like Earl, Mac miller, Chester Watson, or Blu to rap over his beats.

Kendrick would be the perfect rapper for FlyLo, same with Danny Brown and Freddie Gibbs. All of them have a knack for finding the pockets or inner melodies of tracks, and they aren't restricted to bar-hook-bar-hook patterns.

Nah. What you're suffering from is a key dusty old east coast head problem. Y'all want the layeredest beats and the most dense verses. You can't have both, it's a mess. It's like pairing heavily spiced rich food with tannin heavy, thick wines. You want harmony, not conflict and contrast. Take the new Shabazz Palaces for example. Huge complex beats with lots of different elements. But the raps are piece meal, almost spoken word style rather than a standard verse dictated by a continuous rap flow. Kind of like French or Max B style over the wavy joints.

Chinx's verse on there is pretty textbook 90s NYC style though. Word for word, it's probably as dense as a Nas or AZ verse would be, honestly.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Kendrick would be the perfect rapper for FlyLo, same with Danny Brown and Freddie Gibbs. All of them have a knack for finding the pockets or inner melodies of tracks, and they aren't restricted to bar-hook-bar-hook patterns.

maybe kendrick. but i dunno about danny brown, i mean i do like what hes done with purity ring but i dont see him doing much with flylo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom