• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

"I can't be there, that's all you had to say to me was you couldn't be there. Why couldn't you say to me you won't be there. You coulda warned meee"

terrell-owens-iyanla-fix-my-life-sneak-peek-clip_thegamutt.png

Tokubetsu

remember when Acura Integurl dropped and everyone in gaf hop was ready for Frank to drop a fucking classic off the heat of Ultra? He was on WTT and killed that track too.

Then, he does the coming out thing, there's a quick debate but most people still fuck with him

Then Channel Orange dropped, and that's when The Weeknd took his spot bruh. Just think about it brehs. Even if you like Channel Orange, you have to admit that after that album his buzz was split. The p4k guys loved it obviously and it had a hit, but it seems like his feature output and thing he had going kinda.... i don't know?

I hope he can come back though.

Spent an entire season looping Acura Integurl man. Such an amazing track and we still never got a legit CDQ out of it. Fucking shame. Right up there with the fact we never got a legit CDQ of "Cartoons & Cereal."

Esch

Banned
Honestly, he needs to lose a bit of the polish. What I mean by that is he should try to recapture the jam feel/nature of Nostalgia Ultra. Ideal setup would be like him, some decent beat maker/producer, a guitarist and a bassist in the studio for however long it takes them to get in the zone and just knock songs out. I want more songs that almost sound like you missed the first half. I want the mystery again. Five minute songs about boys or girls you don't love but like a lot right now. An album full of pleasant strangers to forget the one person you thought you knew so well.

Yes, you get it! I think Frank can make good cinematic type tracks with a wide scope like Pyramids and Novacane (his hits), but I truly think his bread and butter is his scaled back, raw, emotional cuts thats just some drums, a sample and some piano keys and shit. Frank Ocean in a more.... singer-songwriter lane is incredible tbh. Unfortunately, I don't know if he's into that right now. Matter of fact i don't know what the fuck guy is doing.

The original there will be tears is superior to Franks and I don't even like Hudson like that.

He turned this gorgeous track into some fuckery about father figures. Nah. I always skip it on N/U. Not the kinda track you ape for something like this.

I will admit that I am a bit biased since I was familiar and liked the original well before Frank Ocean even became a thing.

Nope.

Frank track is amazing dude. He made that shit raw as hell.

Then Channel Orange dropped, and that's when The Weeknd took his spot bruh. Just think about it brehs. Even if you like Channel Orange, you have to admit that after that album his buzz was split. The p4k guys loved it obviously and it had a hit, but it seems like his feature output and thing he had going kinda.... i don't know?

I hope he can come back though.

Frank seems like the kind of guy who doesn't have high ambitions financially. I could easily see him looking at the money he's made and deciding to slow down and focus on the quality of his output without worrying about staying relevant + paid. Or just not caring at all, really. So I don't think his silence post Orange means too much.

All of OF strikes me that way. Earl just killed a bunch of his tour to slow down and focus, half of Wolf was about Tyler's house and having more money than he needs already. Seem like a bunch of dudes content to just fuck around with the moderate wealth they've earned and make music they enjoy.

Esch

Banned
How can you not like There Will Be Tears? The way that track starts out as kind of a meandering sorrow and ascends into regrets, self-pity, and personal history is so amazing man. The sadness at missing his granddad. Struggling with the need to express yourself emotionally but dealing with the pitfalls of masculinity as a young boy. Trying to reconcile the failures of his father figures. No lie, one day after I heard it I called up my dad later that night and told him how much I love him and thanked him for taking care of me and providing for me.

Song is amazing, probably the best i've heard on the subject from hip hop and rnb since Where Have You Been.

DominoKid

i think i only ever heard that Acura Integurl track once or twice. reminds me of some PND shit except with a piano instead of that 2am driving around feel.

The original there will be tears is superior to Franks and I don't even like Hudson like that.

He turned this gorgeous track into some fuckery about father figures. Nah. I always skip it on N/U. Not the kinda track you ape for something like this.

I will admit that I am a bit biased since I was familiar and liked the original well before Frank Ocean even became a thing.

wtf does Mr Hudson even do now? both his albums were pretty good.

big ander

Frank seems like the kind of guy who doesn't have high ambitions financially. I could easily see him looking at the money he's made and deciding to slow down and focus on the quality of his output without worrying about staying relevant + paid. Or just not caring at all, really. So I don't think his silence post Orange means too much.

All of OF strikes me that way. Earl just killed a bunch of his tour to slow down and focus, half of Wolf was about Tyler's house and having more money than he needs already. Seem like a bunch of dudes content to just fuck around with the moderate wealth they've earned and make music they enjoy.
I think these dudes have the right mindsets but at the same time I think it's important to mention that they've always been pretty well off. didn't Tyler go to really goddamn nice schools and live in Santa Monica? They've always been secure financially so they're not in the "this wealth is gonna be temporary" mindset.

Which is fine but I think it's important to keep acknowledging that OF didn't come from absolutely nowhere. It came from a bunch of relatively well-off skaters deciding to make music.

Esch

Banned
I do love NU but I have to admit that it suffers from a weak middle section. Some of the bits on that like Bitches Talking, Love Crimes, Goldeneye etc are wack.

I just think that Frank Ocean is pretty much unparalleled right now in terms of where he's hitting. He can do the fucking songs but he hits so many more different topics than his peers that it's not even comparable. He's doing more than songs about fucking, and songs about getting fucked up before you fuck.

Breh is just on a completely different level. He makes people like the Weeknd sound so limited, and rudimentary. He stumbled with the generic production on his last album but I have faith he'll put it all together this time. He had a hit. He has enough money for samples. PLEASE, Frank!
... I'm not used to seeing you like this

Esch

Banned
... I'm not used to seeing you like this

If you remember one thing about me it's that unexploited potential rustles my jimmies harder than almost anything on this earth. It's why Danny Brown making half an album of flavor of the month tardy EDM had ;_;. It's why I can't stomach listening to Blu anymore. It's why I can't abide Nas albums full of bad radio attempts and awful cheap production. It's why I listen to unreleased songs that Jay-Z recorded and then put on a hard drive somewhere because he thought they were too lyrical or not catchy enough.

I loved Nostaliga Ultra and Channel Orange. On Channel Orange he really came into his own on the story-telling tip songs like Crack-rock, Pryamids, Super Rich Kids, Bad Religon are among the best stuff he's every written.

Man I remember when I was supposed to see him live..

Then he tore his vocal chords in an unexplained accident :cryfam:

2nd half of Warm Winds by SZA is in my top 10 this year tbh

Ultra didn't do much for me. Too sappy. CO isn't a bad album but it lacks ambition most of the time; Pyramid is such a stunning track but the rest feels kind of top 40. The best non-Pyramid thing about the album was the Coli threads about the gay agenda propping up Frank. There's no doubt his coming out helped him, but that album was going to do well no matter what.

I'm hard on male singers though. I mainly fuck with Weeknd due to the production and lack of simp lyrics. The shit is just dark, vulgar, and repetitive. I'd probably like a remix version of Kiss Land, but the retail version's production just turned me off.

Pathos

Banned
With all this Liquid Swords talk, I decided to listen to it again and I've just had it on replay for the last couple of days
Cold World is definitely my favourite song on it

Saw Ye tonight after that long ass delay of his Australian Yeezus tour dates. Show went off. I was expecting it to be Yeezus centric but he went full best of mode. Fucking crazy

The rant was actually pretty pleasant. Dude seems pretty happy right now.

PBY

Banned
Saw Ye tonight after that long ass delay of his Australian Yeezus tour dates. Show went off. I was expecting it to be Yeezus centric but he went full best of mode. Fucking crazy

The rant was actually pretty pleasant. Dude seems pretty happy right now.
Toasty gets it

Nostalgia Orange definitely seems like a more personal tape, and it has more Frank rapping which I actually like, but CO is definitely good too. I mean, it's one of those albums where a good portion could be singles. Anyway, for me

Nostalgia Ultra > Channel Orange >>>>>>> Any of the boring shit put out by Weeknd

Also "Songs for Women"... If I could sing I sure as fuck would be in his situation

Esch

Banned
Studio still sounds like a goofy Kid Ink b-side. Gotta give it to Q though, that's a real hit. hear that shit everywhere.

Oxy > HNC

Shit mad overrated on here shit has hella skip able tracks. Act like Oxy doesn't have his best songs he's ever written on there break the bank, Hoover street, man of the year, blind threats, prescription/oxymoron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom