• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Hoover Street is the best track on Oxy imo.
I really like the beat on Collard though, I forgot Man of the Year was on Conan happy for Q.

Heard bits and pieces of the Gambino interview he had on the Breakfast Club. He says he is better than ScHoolboy Q, Drake, and Kendrick yet dude pretty much uses Kendrick's flow on 3005 and could be argued as a Drake lite...

I want to like dude more but damn.

You guys actually like the Nas verse? I only listened once but didn't think it was good.

Nas' verse on Studio vs. Jay Z's verse on They Don't Love You No More
gogogo

Heard bits and pieces of the Gambino interview he had on the Breakfast Club. He says he is better than ScHoolboy Q, Drake, and Kendrick yet dude pretty much uses Kendrick's flow on 3005 and could be argued as a Drake lite...

He's like that Art School kid that does mildly interesting stuff, but will spend their whole time convincing you why it's great Art, but at the same time tries to play it off like it's not a big deal, and they don't care.

Edit:

Also that Nas verse is ehhh, it's refreshing to hear him over different beats, but it doesn't really change the song enough or make it any better in my opinion.

The fact that Esch hasn't shat on the Studio verse yet is making me stressed. I'd rather take the L now than have to wait for it. Hurry up man, just slide it in (pause).
Y0iIAOr.png

fuck

It's not a Big Things flow disaster by any means, in fact the flow is fine overall...except you can tell it's forced, like towards the end of some bars it's like you can tell he wants to revert back to his original style. I could hear the same hesitation and force all throughout MCHG.

it's gonna be a long fall/winter brehs...

Esch

Banned
The fact that Esch hasn't shat on the Studio verse yet is making me stressed. I'd rather take the L now than have to wait for it. Hurry up man, just slide it in (pause).
Y0iIAOr.png

fuck

It's not a Big Things flow disaster by any means, in fact the flow is fine overall...except you can tell it's forced, like towards the end of some bars it's like you can tell he wants to revert back to his original style. I could hear the same hesitation and force all throughout MCHG.

it's gonna be a long fall/winter brehs...

No need to shit on it. I don't think it's dope at all, and i REALLY don't like him trying that semi starty stoppy flow, but it's just pointless. It's just a weird situation.

Why would you ever, ever throw Nas on a remix of a hit?

Basically... what's the point of that verse? Dude wastes a couple bars talking about how him and q linked up for the verse? dafuq? Nobody cares about that shit. If you have to acknowledge it just say some par for the course 'me and Q connect' shit.

Why did this happen? No one cares.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Have to agree with last nights frank conversation. A low budget low scale album from him is not necessarily where he shines most, but it's where I think his audience lies in regards to him. That's where the majority would like him to be.

Gambino is just... there.. for me he I gave because the Internet a listen and I was like is this 808s & heartbreaks is this So Far Gone is he trying to tell a narrative ? Dude still has a identity problem say whatever about Drake but he's confident in who he is as a artist. Gambinos rapping like he's still trying to impress someone instead of just having the confidence to just putting out dope shit.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Gambino reminds me of some inbred chameleon. Doesn't know what fucking color he wants to be, oh and he can't come up with his own definite sound.

Esch

Banned
Plus if i felt like shitting on a Nas verse from this year or last i'd pick one or all of the many
ix5hNAArIgXiW.png
worthy out of place remixes he's done with trap rappers, that goofy Dedicated shit on Mariah's album, those Australian rappers etc etc. What's the point of shitting on something that's just uninspired and staid? Dude was killing features in 2011 and 2012 left and right round Life is Good's release. Remember shit like Tower Heist, Hip Hop, that song with Premier and the Orchestra... Shit had me extra hype. This shit he been on recently doesn't even have good beats, so...

Gonna have to...agree with Esch here, god help us all. 😂

Tower Heist, Hip-Hop... Got me hyped for a hungry as hell Nas especially after Life Is Good but that hype diminished... Granted, I won't get to listen to that Q track with him till after work but still, the impressions of it seem to be lukewarm.

God's son. Please help me in 2014, breh

I'll chalk it up as a production issue. Tower Heist and Hip Hop had really good beats. Studio sounds like something only Chris Brown or Drake could properly "rap" over. Even Q sounds fruity on that shit. Nice hook though.

Nas wasn't bad on the We Dem Boyz remix despite a meh beat. I would have loved to hear Nas on a Isaiah Rashad remix, that would be dope. Shot You Down or just about any hard track on there.

Timbo said he made some crazy joints with Nas. Considering he said the same about MCHG I'm not excited. Just do some shit with Alchemist, Justice League, T-Minus, Q Tip, and whoever produced Isaiah Rashad's album pls...

Esch

Banned
I'll chalk it up as a production issue. Tower Heist and Hip Hop had really good beats. Studio sounds like something only Chris Brown or Drake could properly "rap" over. Even Q sounds fruity on that shit. Nice hook though.

Nas wasn't bad on the We Dem Boyz remix despite a meh beat. I would have loved to hear Nas on a Isaiah Rashad remix, that would be dope. Shot You Down or just about any hard track on there.

Timbo said he made some crazy joints with Nas. Considering he said the same about MCHG I'm not excited. Just do some shit with Alchemist, Justice League, T-Minus, Q Tip, and whoever produced Isaiah Rashad's album pls...

Nah breh. This is just another aeon in a repeating cycle. What has happened before will happen again. Everytime Nas puts out a good project he gets a little gassed up off it, and tries to make money off of it. His stanleys say "Nas is back, Gods Son is back!" He does remixes with popular rappers and pop/rnb stars, appears on a few talk shows, then his album drops and it has like 4-5 horrible, oblique attempts to be sonically relevant that clash with updated with various out of place retro joints on there to appease fans, and a couple cool song ideas.

Nah breh. This is just another aeon in a repeating cycle. What has happened before will happen again. Everytime Nas puts out a good project he gets a little gassed up off it, and tries to make money off of it. His stanleys say "Nas is back, Gods Son is back!" He does remixes with popular rappers and pop/rnb stars, appears on a few talk shows, then his album drops and it has like 4-5 horrible, oblique attempts to be sonically relevant that clash with updated with various out of place retro joints on there to appease fans, and a couple cool song ideas.

Hearing this stuff makes me appreciate Ghostface a whole lot more. He knows what kinda sound he likes and what topics he does best and just does it. He's not really looking to be "relevant", he's just doing the stuff he enjoys.

Hearing this stuff makes me appreciate Ghostface a whole lot more. He knows what kinda sound he likes and what topics he does best and just does it. He's not really looking to be "relevant", he's just doing the stuff he enjoys.
Too bad Rae isn't the same, lol. I don't remember the last time I was hyped for Rae's involvement in anything. Even his verse on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy wasn't anything crazy.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'm just discovering Lecrae thanks to Spotify. Dude is a Christian Hip Hop artist? Never would have known. He's fantastic. Won a Grammy for his last album (best gospel album).

Crazy.

Joeki11a

Banned
random thought, how many rappers are
Hebrew Israelites?,

I remember the Wu track
B.i.b.l.e and Killah Priest was spitting some
stuff I seen Hebrew Israelites in time square talking about it.

his entire verse was all about that view of Cesare Borcia is the "jesus image" we all know now Killah Priest was hittin on all that.

I also hear rappers saying "the most high"
Wu also said "Nuclear showers"
Ice cube said before bean me up to them ships, which if you dont get the Hebrew Israelites believe
"charriots" will come save them during "nuclear showers".

So I ask again which Rappers are into this?

Esch

Banned
random thought, how many rappers are
Hebrew Israelites?,

I remember the Wu track
B.i.b.l.e and Killah Priest was spitting some
stuff I seen Hebrew Israelites in time square talking about it.

his entire verse was all about that view of Cesare Borcia is the "jesus image" we all know now Killah Priest was hittin on all that.

I also hear rappers saying "the most high"
Wu also said "Nuclear showers"
Ice cube said before bean me up to them ships, which if you dont get the Hebrew Israelites believe
"charriots" will come save them during "nuclear showers".

So I ask again which Rappers are into this?

None that I know of. A lot of smart dumb rappers may occasionally integrate some shit from it but I would say that Wu Tang members identify strongly with the 5%/NGE philosophy more. I remember reading somewhere that Amil was a Black Hebrew Israelite (which is hilarious to me) but I can't verify that claim. Either way can't bring myself to care. Quite frankly that shit is stupid.

I had a thought when I was listening to days before rodeo today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wH9fRI65D0

I haven't read any of the reviews or anything of the mixtape but man this song is really good. Makes me wish Scott would just release shit like this but I know it wouldn't really have a place among all the Weeknd / Partynextdoor / Drake / Whoever else music we have currently.

Tokubetsu

I had a thought when I was listening to days before rodeo today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wH9fRI65D0

I haven't read any of the reviews or anything of the mixtape but man this song is really good. Makes me wish Scott would just release shit like this but I know it wouldn't really have a place among all the Weeknd / Partynextdoor / Drake / Whoever else music we have currently.

My favorite song on the tape but I'm also a huger sucker for this sort of sappy stuff. My favorite song off the recent Bones tape is this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom