• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courage

Yeah, it's a very idiosyncratic look. The Water Me video gave me nightmares.

Fuck what she looks like tho. Her music is what Frank Ocean, The Weeknd try so hard to be. A backup dancer did it in less time than them. That's talent right there.

Cheddahz

Banned
"I get it. I'm wearing a grandma sweater," he said during the interview. "But I am also a black male. I still have to wear this grandma sweater when I go see my grandma in the Bronx. Who lives in a shitty neighborhood. [Where] my cousin just got shot and stabbed twice hustling there." - Childish Gambino

You're thirty dude, you're not forced to wear a grandma's sweater

CRS

The One Plus One has me really interested. $300 phone with no contract for a phone with high end parts sounds amazing. And it has CyanogenMod on it, so I can only expect it to be pretty easy to tinker with.

"I get it. I'm wearing a grandma sweater," he said during the interview. "But I am also a black male. I still have to wear this grandma sweater when I go see my grandma in the Bronx. Who lives in a shitty neighborhood. [Where] my cousin just got shot and stabbed twice hustling there." - Childish Gambino

yeaaah, there were a few things he said I almost got behind but then he said stuff like this. His freestyle was alright, until I realized it seemed like some kids LiveJournal from back in the day.

Courage

The One Plus One has me really interested. $300 phone with no contract for a phone with high end parts sounds amazing. And it has CyanogenMod on it, so I can only expect it to be pretty easy to tinker with.

That whole company seems very shady to me, invite system and all. Phone itself looks good though.

CRS

That whole company seems very shady to me, invite system and all. Phone itself looks good though.

Support for the phone might be a bit sketch but people have started getting their phones and seem to like it.

I'm in a weird situation in that I only buy my phones without a contract since I can keep my unlimited data plan.

My Galaxy S3 is still chugging along though but I wouldn't mind an upgrade at that price.\

re: Twigs

How can people not enjoy this? Amazing cut.

Cheddahz

Banned
yeaaah, there were a few things he said I almost got behind but then he said stuff like this. His freestyle was alright, until I realized it seemed like some kids LiveJournal from back in the day.

The stuff about him "growing up in the hood" pisses me off too, as it comes across that he is bragging about "growing up in the hood" and how people he knows or lived closed to him were getting killed

I know he was trying to think of himself as a "real" person compared to Drake, but you don't brag about that shit

Esch

Banned
FKA twigs, a visual tour

FKA-twigs-008.jpg

jBYfFvTf8wQY7.png

jbDIuTO4BKPUk.png

jblSY8yl4LIlRg.png

jJJletPw1X9MI.png

DominoKid

i bet she's cute if you catch her on a lazy afternoon but every photo/video has her looking goofy as shit.

he tries too hard and it just makes him seem really weird and unlikeable.

big ander

Yeah, it's a very idiosyncratic look. The Water Me video gave me nightmares.

Fuck what she looks like tho. Her music is what Frank Ocean, The Weeknd try so hard to be. A backup dancer did it in less time than them. That's talent right there.
Twigs better than Frank Ocean? nah, nah. I do respect her rise though, it sounds like she kinda had to scrap for it. Not a gigantic fan of the record but people love her, no problems with that
I can't even listen to her music. Every time I try I hear the Zoboomafoo theme in my head.
Haha dammit that song's gonna be stuck in my head for days now.

Esch

Banned
i bet she's cute if you catch her on a lazy afternoon but every photo/video has her looking goofy as shit..

Exactly

If she put on a few... we need to get her away from England and on that American diet

jbmpNLzUNmgi4M.png

The music is alright. It's atmospheric and all but i'm not jumping out of my seat

big ander

i bet she's cute if you catch her on a lazy afternoon but every photo/video has her looking goofy as shit.
On one hand: agreed, I'm not particularly attracted to the photos above and I bet she'd be cuter in a diff setting. k.dot put it best
and by "best" I mean remember how this trash song is on an otherwise great record? this song is so fucking terrible for real

On the other: that's kinda the point, yeah? Twigs pointedly doesn't give a shit about fitting expectations of beauty and purposefully wants her music to be sort of charged sexually but also have her public image be weirder and kind of off-putting, maybe to make a point about how pop stars/women in general shouldn't have to be sex bombs and should be able to adapt whatever aesthetic they choose. I respect it, even if I think there are better ways to make a similar statement (charli xcx)

Esch

Banned
I don't get comparing Frank Ocean and twigs though at all Courage. Frank Ocean isn't really like twigs and Weeknd. He's more of a story writer and a personal experience guy, those are his strengths. Twigs and Weeknd aren't really lyrical at all whereas I think Frank Ocean puts a great emphasis on that, they're more about the feel and sound. To me? He sounds way better over clear crisp strings and drums and a sample rather than the wavier, synthier cut where Weeknd and twigs are more comfortable.

I don't get comparing Frank Ocean and twigs though at all Courage. Frank Ocean isn't really like twigs and Weeknd. He's more of a story writer and a personal experience guy, those are his strengths. Twigs and Weeknd aren't really lyrical at all whereas I think Frank Ocean puts a great emphasis on that, they're more about the feel and sound. To me? He sounds way better over clear crisp strings and drums and a sample rather than the wavier, synthier cut where Weeknd and twigs are more comfortable.

Yeah The Weeknd and Twigs are suited to that dark moody/creepy atmospheric production were their voices compliment the production they sing on.

DominoKid

On one hand: agreed, I'm not particularly attracted to the photos above and I bet she'd be cuter in a diff setting. k.dot put it best
and by "best" I mean remember how this trash song is on an otherwise great record? this song is so fucking terrible for real

On the other: that's kinda the point, yeah? Twigs pointedly doesn't give a shit about fitting expectations of beauty and purposefully wants her music to be sort of charged sexually but also have her public image be weirder and kind of off-putting, maybe to make a point about how pop stars/women in general shouldn't have to be sex bombs and should be able to adapt whatever aesthetic they choose. I respect it, even if I think there are better ways to make a similar statement (charli xcx)

i haven't been able to tolerate her music long enough to delve into any intentions like that. it's just not that tight. i'll stick w/ Banks cause she comes w/ a more formed approach.

Esch

Banned

1) I can't believe you just referenced the worst song in Kendrick's discography :dead:

2) I thought the point was to sell albums to toku? :troll:

3) I can see that, 100%. But people have been doing this thing for a while now. Even Taylor swift has a pitiful video about how she can't twerk and has no ass or w/e. Lily Allen was doing something similar last year(?). This visual twee pop shit just makes me laugh , I like the music decent enough though.

iavi

The Weeknd, Banks, M0, all their shit is weird, but poppy enough to be catchy too. Twigs is just fucking weird.

She's like Thom Yorke without the restraint.

Courage

I see what you mean. I was a little quick to compare the emotion coming from Frank Ocean which pales in front of FKA twigs vocal ability and overall mood of her songs. But yeah, he has a different focus in his songs.

How can anyone take Banks over Twigs. Half Banks record is complete garbage and the other half is alright but easily could have been written by a 16 year old. Awful lyricism and songwriting, so bad you can't even ignore it. Completely outweighs the quality of her production. There isn't a single Banks track post London EP worth keeping except MAYBE Brain.

If I had to rank recent downtempo heavily produced women it would be:

Jessy Lanza
Kelela
FKA twigs
Banks

And Banks is a big ass drop down. Twigs album wasn't a great as I wanted it to be but Banks fell off so hard she left a smoking crater in the ground. Sad because she has talent and London was an amazing EP.

Courage

Yeah Banks is all flash no substance. All the haze without the raw emotion of LP1. Not to mention LP1 had phenomenal production (Arca da gawd).

An actual Banks chorus from this shit record for those of you blessed enough not to have heard it.

Take it from the girl you claimed to love
You gonna get some bad karma
I'm the one who had to learn to build a heart made of armor
From the girl who made you soup and tied your shoes when you were hurting
You are not deserving, you are not deserving

Awful. Awful pacing, awful writing, awful everything. I'd love to hear Banks after she learns how to write a song properly but as of now she just blew up to fast and never got the chance to develop before the industry pushed her out. Needed another two years of seasoning.

overcast

The Weeknd, Banks, M0, all their shit is weird, but poppy enough to be catchy too. Twigs is just fucking weird.

Hmm. Twigs isn't that strange, she's just beautifully produced music and her voice just fits the atmosphere perfectly. Pretty damn good album.

Sad to hear that Banks album is disappointing. I liked the EP's quite a bit. Few of the singles weren't too bad, but the sound wasn't progressing and she isn't a strong song writer at all.

big ander

1) I can't believe you just referenced the worst song in Kendrick's discography :dead:

2) I thought the point was to sell albums to toku? :troll:

3) I can see that, 100%. But people have been doing this thing for a while now. Even Taylor swift has a pitiful video about how she can't twerk and has no ass or w/e. Lily Allen was doing something similar last year(?). This visual twee pop shit just makes me laugh , I like the music decent enough though.

Ahaha no joke I had blocked that track from memory cause it's so fucking terrible until a couple weeks back when I thought "haven't played section.80 front to back in a while, I'll do that." reached No Makeup, immediate scust

I agree that the whole "I'm sooooo fallible according to pop imagery" thing is a common pop star trait to graft on, Swift def being the best example in music currently. (or branch out to like, movies and look at Anna Kendrick-- I like her as an actress a lot actually but there's this cult around her rn that's all "omg she overeats pasta and spills her drinks and has awkward conversations too! just like US *instagram like*") But I'd say twigs differs in that a lot of her image is purposefully distancing. Album cover is literally some sort of possessed doll version of her, it's off-putting and somewhere in the uncanny valley. Rather than "look I have flaws too" it's "I'm a fucking half-scorpion half-matryoshka doll and I am going to eviscerate you".

Thom Yorke is demonstrative of restraint? is it backwards day

Esch

Banned
I see what you mean. I was a little quick to compare the emotion coming from Frank Ocean which pales in front of FKA twigs vocal ability and overall mood of her songs. But yeah, he has a different focus in his songs.

I just think that Frank Ocean is pretty much unparalleled right now in terms of where he's hitting. He can do the fucking songs but he hits so many more different topics than his peers that it's not even comparable. He's doing more than songs about fucking, and songs about getting fucked up before you fuck.

using music to schmooze for pussy (or pussy and penis, in his case?)

On losing family

on suicide

forbidden love

Breh is just on a completely different level. He makes people like the Weeknd sound so limited, and rudimentary. He stumbled with the generic production on his last album but I have faith he'll put it all together this time. He had a hit. He has enough money for samples. PLEASE, Frank!

DominoKid

Hmm. Twigs isn't that strange, she's just beautifully produced music and her voice just fits the atmosphere perfectly. Pretty damn good album.

Sad to hear that Banks album is disappointing. I liked the EP's quite a bit. Few of the singles weren't too bad, but the sound wasn't progressing and she isn't a strong song writer at all.

it's just way longer than it has any business being. but there's about 10 joints i cycle through when i listen to it. i didn't listen to her EPs so it's mostly new to me. that's more songs than i can say for kelela or twigs.

Courage

I didn't really like Channel Orange either (mostly because of his singing and production, like you mentioned), but never listened to Nostalgia Ultra. I'm assuming that's better?

Esch

Banned
You know how you guys talk about how 808s helped you get through some rough girl shit, and all that? Nostalgia Ultra was that album for me.

I believe my mans Frank can do it again, he can bring me back to that place. Hot summer, water from the mississippi in the air burning my face, feels like coals in my heart
jsIxMPbWXGVFc.png

I didn't really like Channel Orange either (mostly because of his singing and production, like you mentioned), but never listened to Nostalgia Ultra. I'm assuming that's better?

do that shit asap

song writing on that is on point. dude's the best in the r&b game in that regard right now imo. good storytelling and shit.

pyramids is his GOAT song for me though. followed by swim good.

big ander

Track of the year? (corny as hell but I'm still psyched for season 4 of k&p)
Yeah, I believe Frank has a high ass ceiling on his next release. Pink Matter and Pyramids are my shit off Channel Orange.
I get people cherry picking songs off Channel Orange, it's built for that, but I've never been able to think of one song as my favorite. I still mostly listen to it as a full record. excellent end to end.

If I had to choose 3 songs, they'd be Thinkin Bout You, Super Rich Kids, Pink Matter.

edit: realizing maybe this is influenced by Orange being my girl shit record, but whatever

cacophony

channel orange is trash
nostalgia ultra is amazing

its like he put all his creativity into Pyramids and had none left for the rest of the album

Tokubetsu

You know how you guys talk about how 808s helped you get through some rough girl shit, and all that? Nostalgia Ultra was that album for me.

I believe my mans Frank can do it again, he can bring me back to that place. Hot summer, water from the mississippi in the air burning my face, feels like coals in my heart
jsIxMPbWXGVFc.png

do that shit asap

Honestly, he needs to lose a bit of the polish. What I mean by that is he should try to recapture the jam feel/nature of Nostalgia Ultra. Ideal setup would be like him, some decent beat maker/producer, a guitarist and a bassist in the studio for however long it takes them to get in the zone and just knock songs out. I want more songs that almost sound like you missed the first half. I want the mystery again. Five minute songs about boys or girls you don't love but like a lot right now. An album full of pleasant strangers to forget the one person you thought you knew so well.

Esch

Banned
remember when Acura Integurl dropped and everyone in gaf hop was ready for Frank to drop a fucking classic off the heat of Ultra? He was on WTT and killed that track too.

Then, he does the coming out thing, there's a quick debate but most people still fuck with him

Then Channel Orange dropped, and that's when The Weeknd took his spot bruh. Just think about it brehs. Even if you like Channel Orange, you have to admit that after that album his buzz was split. The p4k guys loved it obviously and it had a hit, but it seems like his feature output and thing he had going kinda.... i don't know?

I hope he can come back though.

Tokubetsu

pretty much this and nostalgia ultra has "there will be tears", which is my favorite song by frank

The original there will be tears is superior to Franks and I don't even like Hudson like that.

He turned this gorgeous track into some fuckery about father figures. Nah. I always skip it on N/U. Not the kinda track you ape for something like this.

I will admit that I am a bit biased since I was familiar and liked the original well before Frank Ocean even became a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom