• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

My mom is 60 and has only heard one Mariah Carey song in full - the duet with Whitney Houston. She "knows" who Mariah is but isn't familiar with her music at all, and doesn't like the few songs she has previewed on youtube. I thought it was weird given how much she likes female pop and r&b. Maybe Carey is too "new" for her, but that's like what....early 90s? She likes 90s and beyond Whitney Houston.

But her fave is Tina Turner.

My mom's fave is also Tina.

And she doesn't know Mariah either. But Mariah was mostly local to the USA even during her prime. She's a non-factor here.
Sorry Touchdown :(

Esch

Banned
okay but we're the simpsons
tumblr_inline_n70h41Q6Yp1qfb043.gif

Troy Ave proving that he is literally the worst at everything. His response to XXL asking what is the best NY hip hop album of all time:

In recent times, I'm gonna go with New York City: The Album. Less recent, I'ma go with between Get Rich Or Die Tryin' or Blueprint 2. Yeah, I wanna go Blueprint 2 or I wanna go Vol. 2...Hard Knock Life. I'll go Hard Knock Life, Get Rich Or Die Tryin' in that recent history. And then New York City: The Album.
http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2014/09/best-nyc-hip-hop-album-ever/

I guess I could accept GRODT if you were like 22 years old and grew up on 50 Cent, and that was your childhood. Fine, whatever I guess. But Blueprint 2? C'mon son. Vol 2? Nah. Better than Blueprint (1), better than REASONABLE DOUBT? Nah.

New York City: The Album? lmao

overcast

Troy Ave proving that he is literally the worst at everything. His response to XXL asking what is the best NY hip hop album of all time:

I guess I could accept GRODT if you were like 22 years old and grew up on 50 Cent, and that was your childhood. Fine, whatever I guess. But Blueprint 2? C'mon son. Vol 2? Nah. Better than Blueprint (1), better than REASONABLE DOUBT? Nah.

Yeah, 50 might be considering his age. Feel like he included any Jay album that came to mind.. at least Black Album.
Haha fitting. That's our Biz!

Courage

...isn't that his album?

20kav40.gif

Esch

Banned
http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2014/09/best-nyc-hip-hop-album-ever/[/url]

Volume 2 is the NYC street rap album par excellence after GRODT. Sold millions of copies, still has quotables people reference today, headlined the biggest hardcore rap tour after Pac and Biggie died. Deal with it.

troll.png

cory64

Volume 2 is the NYC street rap album par excellence after GRODT. Sold millions of copies, still has quotables people reference today, headlined the biggest hardcore rap tour after Pac and Biggie died. Deal with it.

troll.png

It also has the best cover art of any Jay album.

overcast

Jay was always lacking in the cover art creativity department, especially in comparison to his biggest influence/true predecessor, Kanye West.

Troy Ave opinions lmfao

Courage

RD and BP1 encapsulate the feeling of those albums perfectly. RD is simply a better shot.

The Black Album duckface/hat adjust is mad corny
AM71U.png

Not to influence anybody's votes but I would like to make the case for the Fairy Godmother of all divas and pop music in general, Ms. Mariah Carey.

ib1M2kp4BHzv3q.gif

iboTzGS7zZEDaQ.gif

She was just recently named The Ultimate Pop Star of All Time by Time Magazine, ahead of many lessers.

And being that this is Gaf-Hop, most of y'all already know her historic influence on bridging Hip-Hop and Pop music together.

tumblr_mff9nvVNCp1rrvheyo1_500.png

tumblr_m9n462xbsI1qck9hho6_250.gif

tumblr_nbmio58HGb1qkdh9eo2_250.gif
tumblr_nbmio58HGb1qkdh9eo5_250.gif
tumblr_nbmio58HGb1qkdh9eo4_r1_250.gif

So when you make your contributions, don't forget to include the one and only, often imitated never duplicated, Mariah Carey. Thank you.

3129454_o.gif

Esch

Banned
Only a true Hov enthusiast can decipher the #dualities present in the Black Album cover. Note the hat readjust and in the inhale. What does this tell you? It says yea, I stumbled, but i'm back bitches and i'm ready to drop some hot shit. If you know the gawd, you'll know that his pre-shot routine is to adjust a hat, any hat he's wearing. Like a clean up Yankees batter taking practice swings at the plate, that's how Lucky Lefty gets up to business. Note the similarities between the RD cover and this one, signifying a career full circle. Not gonna lie brehs, if I saw Hov adjusting his hat on an upcoming cover, I'd be pretty hyped.

Also Jay-Z album covers are pretty mediocre but i liked them a lot more after this commercial. What ever happened to Rhapsody anyway? RIP.

ibVwZUIpcOy0X.gif

Always good to see Fiona Apple love. The Idler Wheel... was top 2 in 2012.

It's so good guys, trust me on this one, kind of gives me Cilvia vibes, but might even edge it out. Don't let the size of the image art fool you, I'd cover the entire page with it if I could.

I'm up to Whip (Areyoudown?)...this piano, fam. The vibe and crooning reminds me of something from The Internet.

Wasn't expecting a Burnout reference too early on, lol.

Good looks.

Dereck

I would like to believe that the Madvillainy cover is over-praised, but whenever I see that shit, I get hit by the darkness almost immediately.

Mariah was so hot before she turned into a piece of plastic. No qualms about anyone stanning her, even though my picks Whitney.

Ive always liked the Vol. 3 album cover :yeshrug

Esch

Banned
Rakim set new standards for the genre in terms of lyricism, G Rap laid down the blueprint for flow and 90s NY gangsta rap themes

listen to that flow brehs. It's not just fast. Speed isn't everything. it's that breath control, the way he rides it, the intensity, the delivery, just pure fury. I know people like to stan the work with DJ Polo, and I also love that stuff and I can definitely see why it's more influential, but I just think that G Rap reached this incredible rapper nirvana pinnacle on 4,5,6. Just listen to that shit brehs. One listen, and you immediately understand why ALL y'all favorite rappers stan this guy. Jay-Z, Nas, Eminem, whoever man. This is the art of the emcee, right here.

It's a goddamn shame more people didn't put him on. That's the curse of being ugly, and refusing to sell music to women or pop shit. Simply put, he made a lot of dudes styles.

ifINe8fJFyR8D.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom