• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh...that's pretty much my impression of the NehruvianDOOM album. I hate calling it an album, it's more like an EP or mixtape. Actually mixtapes are more thought out than that these days...

It's like...you know how you can watch an actor or actress in something and tell they're fresh from drama school (see: Emilia Clarke)? Wooden acting, very forced dialogue...Nehru is the rapping equivalent of that on most of these tracks. The production is nice, I like the interludes...basically the table is set for a nice little project. If this was a DOOM album it would probably be dope...and at least better than Born Like This. Instead we get Nehru sprinkling dust everywhere.

I thought DOOM acolytes learned not to create choruses/hooks unless necessary (see: Earl). So why is Nehru trying out these wack, Joey Badass-esque hooks that revolve around repeating phrases or singing off key (Mean The Most...which is one of the worst songs I've downloaded this year).

DOOM's best projects tend to have themes. On this album there really isn't a theme or any guiding principle, it just seems like Nehru spitting over some beats. The obvious thing to do would be some type of "villain in training" shit with DOOM spitting crazy shit as he tries to corrupt the semi-innocent Nehru. That's basically what happens on Caskets, which just so happens to be the best song on the track. I won't give a rating right now but I'm disappointed.

Dereck

No he doesn't sound like horseshit.

Stanning DOOM in 2014 a lot like stanning Nas in 2014.
oVJl8tc.png

Meh...that's pretty much my impression of the NehruvianDOOM album. I hate calling it an album, it's more like an EP or mixtape. Actually mixtapes are more thought out than that these days...

It's like...you know how you can watch an actor or actress in something and tell they're fresh from drama school (see: Emilia Clarke)? Wooden acting, very forced dialogue...Nehru is the rapping equivalent of that on most of these tracks. The production is nice, I like the interludes...basically the table is set for a nice little project. If this was a DOOM album it would probably be dope...and at least better than Born Like This. Instead we get Nehru sprinkling dust everywhere.

I thought DOOM acolytes learned not to create choruses/hooks unless necessary (see: Earl). So why is Nehru trying out these wack, Joey Badass-esque hooks that revolve around repeating phrases or singing off key (Mean The Most...which is one of the worst songs I've downloaded this year).

DOOM's best projects tend to have themes. On this album there really isn't a theme or any guiding principle, it just seems like Nehru spitting over some beats. The obvious thing to do would be some type of "villain in training" shit with DOOM spitting crazy shit as he tries to corrupt the semi-innocent Nehru. That's basically what happens on Caskets, which just so happens to be the best song on the track. I won't give a rating right now but I'm disappointed.
Agreed 100%

Courage

Dope plug sesh brehs. A lot of #knowledge dropped. Gonna check out Morbid Angel and some of the Swedish bands I haven't heard.

IrishNinja

tokus you know i love you bruh

but you stanned ab soul for like 2 weeks after even he stopped caring

i mean this is the equivalent of being that kid on the playground who chooses reed richards as their favorite comic character cause all the cool ones are gone and then wondering why no one's sharing their lunchables with you

Tokubetsu

tokus you know i love you bruh

but you stanned ab soul for like 2 weeks after even he stopped caring

i mean this is the equivalent of being that kid on the playground who chooses reed richards as their favorite comic character cause all the cool ones are gone and then wondering why no one's sharing their lunchables with you

Ab-Soul dropped the better album than Nas in 2012. I know that make your soul burn slow.

IrishNinja

you see that's what i'm talkin bout right there

like you still had ghost rider and moon knight and better options in life but you still fuckin with reed

IrishNinja

like thor, there's only a handful of arcs that are really noteworthy, starting wi fuckin up my whole analogy game here tokus

nobody stans moon knight

Moon Knight doesn't even stan moon knight

t_55bd22803fc6437cbaca870ce3221ec7.jpg

Moony is in my personal top 5 my dude

esh likes to point out i'm a sega fan/clearly lean towards underdogs

Brehs. Only Built for Cuban Linx II is a great album. I know it's mixed in here but I've had it playing tonight and it's fantastic.

Wu stannery aside this shit rides these whole way through.

Also has the last great RZA beat in Black Mozart. Deck kills his verse on there.

The difference with this album and Shoaling V Wu is readily apparent. Without the Cuban Linx moniker and ghost all over it this would be immobility tier trash. Ghosts features are among the highlights when him and Rae are just flowing over a gritty beat.

Even the non wu features are good. Beans on no mercy, jada and styles on broken safety, even slick rick on we will rob you with the hook fits and sounds great.

This album is underrated in here for real.

Shame dre couldn't give Chef some good beats though. Catalina is okay bit doesn't fit on here.

Tokubetsu

Brehs. Only Built for Cuban Linx II is a great album. I know it's mixed in here but I've had it playing tonight and it's fantastic.

Also has the last great RZA beat in Black Mozart. Deck kills his verse on there.

The difference with this album and Shoaling V Wu is readily apparent. Without the Cuban Linx moniker and ghost all over it this would be immobility tier trash. Ghosts features are among the highlights when him and Rae are just flowing over a gritty beat.

Even the non wu features are good. Beans on no mercy, jada and styles on broken safety, even slick rick on we will rob you with the hook fits and sounds great.

Shame dre couldn't give Chef some good beats though. Catalina is okay bit doesn't fit on here.

I still like it a lot. I think PD is the only one who really turned on it.

PBY

Banned

Totally agree. Great album.

mooooose

Boring and disappointing album full of Rae feeling himself and ghostwritten emailed Ghostface verses. GZA's verses were really good tho on We Will Rob You and Rockstars. I also liked New Wu and 10 Bricks. House of Flying Daggers is ok and I love drunk RZA on Black Mozart. I can't remember a single Raekwon verse or even line from the entire album. Completely forgettable on the mic for an entire album, and still garner critical acclaim, brehs.

edit - From the OB4CL2 sessions, we got some cool songs. State of Grace was a DOPE fucking song. And Baggage Handlers. And I mentioned it before, but it wasn't on the album, so for anyone who hasn't heard it: Rockstars.

codhand

PD, i agree about the off-key singing, and reading from a script delivery, but the theme is OM, and it's present throughout imo. just the execution lacked flare of any kind. project is remarkably safe.

is there even space left, on the wu schlong, for us to utilize? seems as if youve already stretched your legs, and staked your claim. did you erect an iron flag at the base of the shaft?

I agree 100% with this.

I was even excited for Shaolin vs Wu because I thought this was a return to form for Rae only to be disappointed by his return to mediocrity.

Esch

Banned
i think my favorite song on CL2 is Ason Jones. I know how heavy handed and soppy it is but i can feel raekwon's pain brehs

jSHs2xfME4Rop.png

EDIT:

jRDU89YzDOP1p.png
@ Count Blackule's struggle canadian nationalism.

my world exclusive NehruvianDOOM review.

1. Intro - props to the aliens sample. dope.
2. Om - shit.
3. Mean the Most - is that a flow bishop?
4. So Alone - is that a flow bishop?
5. Coming for You - shit.
6. Darkness - dope.
7. Caskets - dope.
8. Great Things - shit.
9. Disastrous - such a fitting title.

Da fuq

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom