• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Yeah, I find the romanticizing of Chris McCandlessing a little goofy. If you're going to leave the grid, do it with a goal in mind besides finding a creative place to die.

EDIT: unless you want to die, i guess

IrishNinja

oh yeah, pullin a siddx is actually a pretty dope idea

like when i was in croatia i met a cali med school student who was in between semesters or some shit & planned on using his summer working on tour/party boats out on the mediterranean, didn't pay much but lodging & booze was free, plenty of ass about. still have dude on my facebook, he's got better stories from that one season than many of my coworkers have accumulated in much of their lives

big ander

It's especially loopy given the message of Into the Wild was basically "don't...don't do this. I get why you might think this is a good idea but you don't actually wnat to do this."

At least that's what I got from the book as a teenager, maybe it endorsed it more than I thought. and haven't seen the movie still

It's especially loopy given the message of Into the Wild was basically "don't...don't do this. I get why you might think this is a good idea but you don't actually wnat to do this."

At least that's what I got from the book as a teenager, maybe it endorsed it more than I thought. and haven't seen the movie still

Idk the message I got from it was...yeah this kid did it, but in some ways...he was kinda looking for a way to go out, and when he realized he had things to live for, it was kinda too late.

I've read quite a few writers that have "fallen off the grid" and I agree McCandless is probably the worst model to follow if that appeals to you.

Esch

Banned

That book was a sharp wakeup call for me in high school. Made me feel like a cultural outsider. Everyone in my class was talking about how brave he was, how 'everyone' has those urges, etc etc to leave it all behind. When asked I pretty much opined that i thought he was selfish/spoiled by leaving his family, naive, and corny and my teacher + the class exploded at me in rage. Meh, I still don't get it. Well I do get it. I do get the alienation of modern life and society, and labor especially. But I didn't fuck with him.

overcast

Dude, shit. You can always get those CELTA certs and say fuck america like siddx and go do TEFL somewhere. He seems to enjoy it a lot.
I've thought about this quite a bit. Finish college and explore the options. Especially if I can't find a job.

Tokubetsu

That book was a sharp wakeup call for me in high school. Made me feel like a cultural outsider. Everyone in my class was talking about how brave he was, how 'everyone' has those urges, etc etc to leave it all behind. When asked I pretty much opined that i thought he was selfish/spoiled by leaving his family, naive, and corny and my teacher + the class exploded at me in rage. Meh, I still don't get it. Well I do get it. I do get the alienation of modern life and society, and labor especially. But I didn't fuck with him.

A friends wife is like this. Romanticized the fuck out of it, and still does. I appreciate the opposite of these rich boy stories. Rich people just being insufferable rich people.

10665415_691254784276429_268871331_n.jpg
Kanye loves taking pictures with fans

cacophony

hate it when you wake up and got that mental fog you can't shake.

its so bad today im actually enjoying this dj mustard x big sean song man

breh. My nicca.

I said the exact same shit to some friends who are big fans of the book. Chalk it up as another case of reckless cac behavior being lauded.
rVtN8WL.png

Under the Banner of Heaven is better.

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest and the Monkey Wrench Gang are great fictional indictments upon society that cover much the same ground but aren't annoyingly naive

big ander

This Yung Lean's actually fantastic. really pushing the psychedelic element of cloud rap to extremes. Blinded, Sunrise Angel, Leanworld, Ghosttown, Monster all hot

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The problems are really really endemic. It's honestly destroying a generation of futures for a lot of people. The education requirements for employment rising along with the price of education and inflation, terrible job prospects, and the simple facts that to get a decent living you have to either be in a small area of fields or talents or go to grad school. The illusion of 2 kids, 2 cars a house is broken for a lot of people in their 20s here. Theres a lot of blame to go around too
TBH this is the most depressing shit brehs. Debt is through the roof and govts don't care enough about education to realize these interwoven issues in the system.

Went in on my uni degree, two years of that also going in on volunteering, building skills, doing whatever the fuck I can to get somewhere in life and being met with no job opportunities or competition with people even more skilled than I am who are also struggling to find work is fucking depressing. Like you said, connections and tons of pro bono work are pretty much expected nowadays on top of post secondary education, and even that might not be enough. It's not depressing actually, it's demoralizing. I think about this shit on a daily basis as the clock moves forward but my life doesn't.

Esch

Banned

breh. My nicca.

I said the exact same shit to some friends who are big fans of the book. Chalk it up as another case of reckless cac behavior being lauded.
rVtN8WL.png

Under the Banner of Heaven is better.
Breh, I was heavily intimating the ethnic aide of this and needless to say, I rustled some melanin deficient jimmies.

rVtN8WL.png

I have no idea what i want to do with my life. I don't even know if i like my major yet and I wanted to be an engineer, but it was too rigorous for me. I feel like anything outside of STEM is going to suck ass when i graduate. Plus I'm an advertising major. I guess i'll find out afterwards, but shit...at least I have the opportunity to be in a university though...

Cukoo's Nest :blessed

wikipedia said:
Kesey's role as a medical guinea pig, as well as his stint working at the state veterans' hospital, inspired him to write One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. The success of this book, as well as the demolition of the Perry Lane cabins in August 1963, allowed him to move to a log house at 7940 La Honda Road in La Honda, California, fifteen miles south of Perry Lane.[10] He frequently entertained friends and many others with parties he called "Acid Tests", involving music (such as Kesey's favorite band, The Warlocks, later known as the Grateful Dead), black lights, fluorescent paint, strobes, and other "psychedelic" effects, and, of course, LSD. These parties were noted in some of Ginsberg's poems and are also described in Tom Wolfe's The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, as well as Hell's Angels: The Strange and Terrible Saga of the Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs by Hunter S. Thompson and Freewheelin Frank, Secretary of the Hell's Angels by Frank Reynolds.

yo kendrick's been straight garbage post-gkmc

jesus christ this is worse than a will.i.am slumdog millionaire remix would be.

didn't this movie come out like 6 months ago though? they must have cut this from the soundtrack. good call lmao.

edit: to be fair though all these shitty movie songs. it's what the moms want after that grammys performance. they want that kenneth mathers scream on a track song to bump in the minivan. his album probably gonna be 100% scream free..i hope.

Esch

Banned
Definitely sounds like him. I hope for Kenneth's sake that's not ending up on anything he releases, because it's hot steaming garbage.

edit: to be fair though all these shitty movie songs. it's what the moms want after that grammys performance. they want that kenneth mathers scream on a track song to bump in the minivan. his album probably gonna be 100% scream free..i hope.

I can't make excuses anymore man. What was the last great Kendrick verse? Legit great. Control was controversial and entertaining, but it wasn't a great verse. Nosetalgia? Almost a year ago now. Jealous was almost a year ago too. What else? Flylo verse was just good and was his best in a while outside those two.

It's looking tragic. I'm preparing for this album to be a flop, hoping to be surprised but if that shit was real....I don't know brehs.

edit: Just give me the Beats commercial track Kendrick please

Esch

Banned
Toku probably eating good as fuck right now, as a Drake stanley.

I guess kamspy was right when he said this was Nas vs. Jay-Z redux, but he was on Nas(Kendrick)'s side this time.

Breh probably doomed to like 8 albums full of incongruent ideas, D- production, and bad pop attempts.
iEt61mZroWElR.gif

prolly nosetalgia, control was huge but it was only exciting during the hype. anyways i checked the wiki for million dollar arm (movie)

Kendrick Lamar also recorded a song that is featured only in the film.

Z0kqP.png

people heard that shit in AVX surround sound.

edit: look i aint that hot on kendrick lamar these days but isn't the sophomore album going to be executive produced by dr. dre again? production gonna be nice.

So wait, we hating that new Yelawolf single? Cause I kinda like it.

Then again, I really liked Trunk Music Returns and the Black Fall EP :shrug:

So wait, we hating that new Yelawolf single? Cause I kinda like it.

Then again, I really liked Trunk Music Returns and the Black Fall EP :shrug:

chorus is really good. i knew my michael mann brah would be feelin dat atmosphere. (speaking of which...check out the new yung lean tape. ghosttown almost sounds like it samples the bloodsport soundtrack, these cloudrap brehs doing wonders with synths)

yelawolf's got a pretty good voice for hooks tbh.

JohnDoe

Banned
Breh, I was heavily intimating the ethnic aide of this and needless to say, I rustled some melanin deficient jimmies.

rVtN8WL.png

:dead:

And I can't believe a fucking teacher got mad at you for your opinion on the book. What an unprofessional idiot, not to mention that his opinion was shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom