• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
it feels too much like a forced radio song for me to get real into it. like kendrick was trying to make his 'happy'
Yea I got that vibe as well. Sorta on the lines of those Grammy niggas better know my name this year.

Even though it's been said a lot, I could see Andre 3000, making this song in his day.

Not mad at it though.
Isaiah Rashad gonna fuck around and have the album of the year

Tokubetsu

iJFazMF9QupEQ.gif

Ohnonono

I kinda like it. It sounds heavily influenced by his live shows. Lots of full band stuff. Totally an Outcast kinda vibe there. Better than I expected.

Tokubetsu

Kendrick wants that festival money brehs. That white girl in glow in the dark paint and native american head-dress dough. This shit about to slay at bonaroo you feel me? Coachella 2015 bout to be popping.

codhand

The follow up was a huge success commercially, but so what mixed critically before gaining more respect in hindsight.

only backpack haters such as myself realized Nas's second album was good later on in life. Everyone else was riding the Nas ween off into the sunset. The reception was 99% praise. If I Ruled The World played pretty much once an hour on MTV for a solid year. Raekwon desrves the credit as he was the biggest influence on It Was Written.

Real talk now: I think we can all agree that most of these over Dilla shippers love him because they heard Donuts... And it's been confirmed by Questlove himself that what let to Donuts was J Dilla listening to TCD sampling (or to be more specific, Spaceship) and thinking to himself that of all the times he has heard the OG Marvin Gaye sample, he never would have chopped it like Kanye did... It fucked him up so much he spent his time after that sampling the shit out of soul records in strange ways (just listen to his unreleased 2005 beat tapes) which led to Donuts.

Dilla has also given Kanye tons of his drum libraries on ZIP drives before his death... He really was into his music and has said himself he wanted to do collabs.

http://www.factmag.com/2014/09/20/t...ashes-madlib-interview-for-bonafide-magazine/

new interview with Madlib and DOOM reiterating that Questlove is wrong about Donuts being influenced by mu fuckin Spaceships, and needs to STFU around Nardwuar wannabees and other fluffer nutter NY culture vultures.

[Madlib] He (Dilla) got influenced by some of the things I was doing when he did Donuts, and I took some of his ideas and did some other things, Beat Konducta stuff. Sharing crates, I gave him the Lightworks sample and he gave me couple joints. I heard the whole process, every time he’d do a few beats he’d hand them to me and I didn’t know it’d be an album. I thought it was just beat tape stuff. Every week I’d hear different ones that made Donuts, I was like ‘oh shit he’s doing something different.’

The track itself is pretty well :jayz50/50:

but lets talk about that positive message brehs

This is probably one of the riskiest first singles I've heard in a long time tbh. TDE camp mad brave for this one, I really do see this song doing numbers with the white crowd with non hip hop fans aka Macklemore fans.

I do feel this is the same message Kendrick has been pushing for a while. Really left field again, but a good message, will do good on the radio imo.

deli2000

I don't know. I'll probably wait until the album drops before making a proper judgment. Some of these gut reactions tho. I thought GAF-Hop was better than this.

i - Kendrick Lamar

Crisis averted brehs. The king is back.

Hmmm. I really like this actually. Was never really a fan but I'll keep an eye out now I guess. :/

By the way GAF-HOP, given your prior support for the tournament going on in the POPGAF side of things, feel free to partake in the current match since the ones competing right now may or may not appeal to your sensibilities:

It's between Bey and Mariah right now and they're tied at the moment. If anyone feels like sending in a vote for one or the other just send me a PM by clicking here. The tournament's open to everyone so feel free to wreck shit up if you wanna. :D

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
definitely sounds like a single lol. I like it quite a bit tho.

if nothing else, it has me even more curious about what the album is gonna sound like.

Zabuza

Banned
This Kendrick song about to spread through the nation, and as young adult men in difficult situations learn to love themselves, they will learn to love each other. And Pirus and Crips will all get along. :lol

Honestly a wannabe Outkast track isn't the worst way to get his message across, but this song isn't very good.

Esch

Banned
i - Kendrick Lamar

Crisis averted brehs. The king is back.

iJ2oVLuKXWYzm.gif

No brehs. This is wack. You can tell it's heavily pitched at a certain demographic (Eminem fans). The fast rapping, the way it opens like shitty 90s rock that fills up PhoenixDark's iPod, the corny positive message. You all know i'm not the biggest outkast fan either, so i'm not feeling this period. This has a real jammy feel at parts, but the breakdown where his voice is pitched and he starts rapping more urgently throws that entire aesthetic in the trash. It's abrupt, like all of a sudden you replaced The Allman Brothers on stage with Asphyx randomly to add fake, cheap tension. Plus the random references to a bottle of lean and a model are making me laugh. You ain't doing none of that shit bruh. To be honest though, it has the typical lab research flatness of your standard interscope single, but somehow still feels kendricky and outkasty at the same time.

Not a good portent for the album, but I'm not sure if I liked Backseat Freestyle. But I don't think I'll ever end up liking this song.

Zabuza

Banned
iJ2oVLuKXWYzm.gif

No brehs. This is wack. You can tell it's heavily pitched at a certain demographic (Eminem fans). The fast rapping, the way it opens like shitty 90s rock that fills up PhoenixDark's iPod, the corny positive message. You all know i'm not the biggest outkast fan either, so i'm not feeling this period. This has a real jammy feel at parts, but the breakdown where his voice is pitched and he starts rapping more urgently throws that entire aesthetic in the trash. It's abrupt, like all of a sudden you replaced The Allman Brothers on stage with Asphyx randomly to add fake, cheap tension. Plus the random references to a bottle of lean and a model are making me laugh. You ain't doing none of that shit bruh. To be honest though, it has the typical lab research flatness of your standard interscope single, but somehow still feels kendricky and outkasty at the same time.

Not a good portent for the album, but I'm not sure if I liked Backseat Freestyle. But I don't think I'll ever end up liking this song.
Great write up. Agreed.

Esch

Banned
I think we can all agree on one thing... Two years for this?

Lmao at certain stans in this topic making us think Kendrick was in the lab inventing new styles,trying out different things, only resurfacing for features, food, and some questionable pussy. And then he comes with this.

iEt61mZroWElR.gif

JohnDoe

Banned
http://www.factmag.com/2014/09/20/t...ashes-madlib-interview-for-bonafide-magazine/

new interview with Madlib and DOOM reiterating that Questlove is wrong about Donuts being influenced by mu fuckin Spaceships, and needs to STFU around Nardwuar wannabees and other fluffer nutter NY culture vultures.
So you can't be influenced by more than one thing? The story of Madlib and Dilla echanging tapes and samples is old. But the spaceship chop def. influenced Dilla: listen to his Motown 2005 beattape.
Not even *that* big of a Kanye fan, I still like Dilla's and Madlib's beats more in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom