• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
PD essentially said the song is mediocre. No need to jump down his throat, I know you guys were waiting for that post.

Hopefully the song was a Hail Mary at a random pop hit, and we'll get a "real" song when this fails. /denial

Exactly. Chalk it up as a testament of hyper partisan views on everything these days; something either sucks or is awesome. It's a mediocre pop song. The groove is undeniable, just like the groove of Mo Money Mo Problems is. But the result is an average, mediocre pop rap song.

Check the other thread and see how many people are basically saying "rap is meh but I like this." Not a coincidence.

studyguy

Alright got a better listen to it, it's alright.
The positive message doesn't come off as too corny to me but I definitely don't like that hook or the bridge. I dunno... Eh

j-wood

Heard someone mention they hope Kendrick isn't the next Lupe.

Which got me thinking...has anyone heard his new songs and what are the thoughts? Next to it and Pu$$y i think. Next to it is aight...not sure about the other one yet.

No one said that. I said Backstreet Freestyle fit GKMC thematically, and I'm curious to see how this will fit the next album.
You are defending it though still. Backseat freestyle honestly could have been pulled from the album and the overall story wouldn't have lost anything of value.

Courage

I'm starting to wonder if y'all like upbeat songs. Song sounds like K.Dots victory lap after decimating his "new school" competition.

Esch

Banned
Swimming Pools also had a "positive" message but it had a nuanced delivery of the idea, was catchier, didn't reek of dad-rap, and had a nice moody and interesting feel to it production wise. This is wack sauce on every possible level. Ruined a classic song by chopping it up to sound like a Sugar Ray b-side, bad Andre 3k imitation. Completely screws itself over mid track with that srs bsnssss fast rapped interlude. This is that shit you play in your car with your parents. This is the shit you send your white girlfriend that stans String Cheese Incident who's interested in the rap you listen to one day. This is the shit you play at Democratic National Convention recruitment events.

It's okay to admit it's wack, guys.

It's wack.

Cheddahz

Banned
Heard someone mention they hope Kendrick isn't the next Lupe.

Which got me thinking...has anyone heard his new songs and what are the thoughts? Next to it and Pu$$y i think. Next to it is aight...not sure about the other one yet.

This is literally the only song we've heard, but his features as of lately have been...eh (and he has been screaming a whole lot as well). Just judging from the features, this album could have the potential to be an amazing follow up like "It Was Written" or it'll just be a disappointment

The mediocrity has been confirmed.

Next
ibqsG2MZiScJka.png

codhand

an album nobodies heard yet too.

just wait, Dre is a master craftsman, once he gets his hands on this, presumably some time after washing the smell of counted money off his hands, this album will be a masterpiece on par with Horowitz plays Chopin.

studyguy

The most I can do is sit and wait for the album I guess. At worst it'll be another Lazers. At best it'll have this track on it that I can skip.

Courage

Upbeat songs are just simply the hardest songs to get right. They often come off incredibly cheesy and such.

I mean in rap*
I realize that but none of this is cheesy unless you think sampling of popular songs like this one is cheesy. It literally sounds like Kendrick's take on an Aquemini song.

I wonder what Punch/Top Dawg/etc would think if Drake had released this track with slightly different lyrics. They'd probably call it weak lol.

Cheddahz

Banned
Y'know, if all of this build up for this release wasn't even done, we probably wouldn't even be talking that much shit about the song, but since it was basically hailed as "the song", we are at where we are now

We have a lazily done beat, a Kendrick Lamar that no one really likes (for real man, stop the chipmunk voice bullshit and the screams), and while the verses are decent, no one is going to give a shit about them whenever every other aspect of the song sucks

If this is a bonus song like "The Recipe" was, then I guess that's a good thing, but this really should had not been the first single for the album that is either going to make Kendrick "the king" or just some bum like the rest of his label mates

HiResDes

No one said that. I said Backstreet Freestyle fit GKMC thematically, and I'm curious to see how this will fit the next album.

Yeah it definitely did, it was supposed to be this absurd and explicit track that was basically representative of his immaturity at the time.

Courage

I doubt this is gonna be a strict concept album like GKMC so I don't know if it'll fit as nicely as Backseat. I'd just rather have something laid back like this as a braggadocios song over his recent features.

Yeah it definitely did, it was supposed to be this absurd and explicit track that was basically representative of his immaturity at the time.
The album is already filled with traces of this tho. My point is if you took the song out would you not have been able to make the assumption of how immature he was? It's like watching a movie that's subtle for majority but this one scene sticks out like a sore thumb all in your face

Courage

The album is already filled with traces of this tho. My point is if you took the song out would you not have been able to make the assumption of how immature he was? It's like watching a movie that's subtle for majority but this one scene sticks out like a sore thumb all in your face
It may still be conveyed but that song drives the point home. Has a way greater effect than the songs preceding it. It also serves as a nice contrast to The Arts Of Peer Pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom