• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiiiLife

KgPL2Qd.png

ibqKXm3B7PUbsz.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll withhold judgement until I've heard the track a few times, and preferably not on my shit work PC speakers...but yeah, I dunno about that one. I like the idea of the track on paper but it doesn't really click.

But that's okay. This is all just a test. Those who maintain their faith will be rewarded in the end. 🙏

goddamnit was not what i was expecting

comment i saw summed it up best "some mmlp2 beat"
and well there you go
the bars might be fine but the beat is wack as hell (except the ending)
there's a way to make that work, but this isn't it

my faith will not waver however
i still believe tho
album will deliver

- Track does feel like it should have been released at the start of the summer. We almost in hoodie weather brehs.
- Lyrically the song is pretty good. I don't think I have ever had a problem with Kendrick's lyrics. His voice, that's another story.
- This shit will be played everywhere, lol.
- The production is nice but I dunno, I guess I didn't want to hear Kendrick on a beat like this.
- People have been comparing this style to 3k but, I guess I'm not hearing it all too much...

Final rating: 6.5/10

Special Thanks to Yung Lean...his album makes road rage nonexistant...

I really like what the beat turns into in the final third, but yeah, this was kinda meh. Some surprisingly saccharine, Pharrell-inspired ish with a failed attempt at channeling 3-Stacks.

It's not bad or anything, just...odd. And abit transparent.

codhand

So you can't be influenced by more than one thing?

no, you can have more than one influence, but questlove pulled that one right out of his ass, and now wants to proliferate false information on the public that will go down in history as the correct analysis because no one is allowed to question his insider bs.

It's fine

not really the ringing endorsement we expect for hip-hop's prodigal son

codhand

i dont consider anything released by someone who is backed by Dre and Interscope to be considered risky. with the amount of places this song will pop-up due to payola, we dont need to worry about poor sales, just poor music.

thabiz

i dont consider anything released by someone who is backed by Dre and Interscope to be considered risky. with the amount of places this song will pop-up due to payola, we dont need to worry about poor sales, just poor music.

welcome to a major label folks.

Esch

Banned
iJ2oVLuKXWYzm.gif

No brehs. This is wack. You can tell it's heavily pitched at a certain demographic (Eminem fans). The fast rapping, the way it opens like shitty 90s rock that fills up PhoenixDark's iPod, the corny positive message. You all know i'm not the biggest outkast fan either, so i'm not feeling this period. This has a real jammy feel at parts, but the breakdown where his voice is pitched and he starts rapping more urgently throws that entire aesthetic in the trash. It's abrupt, like all of a sudden you replaced The Allman Brothers on stage with Asphyx randomly to add fake, cheap tension. Plus the random references to a bottle of lean and a model are making me laugh. You ain't doing none of that shit bruh. To be honest though, it has the typical lab research flatness of your standard interscope single, but somehow still feels kendricky and outkasty at the same time.

Not a good portent for the album, but I'm not sure if I liked Backseat Freestyle. But I don't think I'll ever end up liking this song.

To add onto this, the sampling is really kinda lazy sounding for most of the track. It's simply not an impressive beat. I guess this kinda fits with the jam band sound of a lot of the rest of the track, but......

I don't know. We all knew the sample beforehand. I guess I set myself up for the L. I thought it might be downpitched, a little slower, maybe something a little more soulful.

Instead this shit sounds like a Sublime x Eminem collab
iEt61mZroWElR.gif

overcast

I interpret "like that" as a forthcoming of more skippable songs. This song isn't fresh to me.
"7 songs I like that".

I understand not liking the track. A few of you pushing the "label control" angle isn't cutting it after GKMC. Shit won't be a hit, risky angle changing the sound that much, yet maintaining the fact it's a pop track.

overcast

Esch, I see through you breh. Posting gifs/coli images to mask the pain. I know how you take disappointment.

We're in this together. All of us have our inner Obi Wan going.

Cheddahz

Banned
Esch, I see through you breh. Posting gifs/coli images to mask the pain. I know how you take disappointment.

If there is anyone who should be disappointed, it should be Count (aka TDE's main bitch)

TDE are fools for not releasing this at the beginning of summer; this sounds like it would have been on rotation all summer. I guess it doesn't matter, it'll be on rotation regardless (Interscope, Clear Channel, etc) but still...

My impressions...not bad, not great. It's a pop rap single, moreso than Poetic Justice. In the mold of recent tracks with a retro, throwback sound (Blurred Lines, Happy, Rolling In The Deep, etc). It's not a coincidence that all those tracks were massive hits, and I'd imagine this will be too.

I actually prefer the beat breakdown during the bridge and third verse, which is a more interesting take on the sample and helps the track avoid a Diddy-esque laziness. I'm probably being hypocritical but that's just how I feel about popular samples: looping them in an obvious manner feels like cheating and is lazy. That breakdown is VINTAGE Aquemini though, love it.

Complaining about the theme strikes me as corny. I'm not opposed to positive anthems, I'm opposed to corny positive anthems (like Happy). Honestly this isn't corny to me. It sounds like a continuation of GKMC thematically. The song fits the theme of the last voicemail on Real.

"If I don't hear from you by tomorrow, I hope you come back and learn from your mistakes. Come back a man, tell your story to these black and brown kids in Compton. Let 'em know you was just like them, but you still rose from that dark place of violence, becoming a positive person. But when you do make it, give back with your words of encouragement, and that's the best way to give back. To your city... And I love you Kendrick, if I don't hear you knocking on the door you know where I usually leave the key. Alright? Talk to you later, bye."

iJ2oVLuKXWYzm.gif

No brehs. This is wack. You can tell it's heavily pitched at a certain demographic (Eminem fans). The fast rapping, the way it opens like shitty 90s rock that fills up PhoenixDark's iPod, the corny positive message. You all know i'm not the biggest outkast fan either, so i'm not feeling this period. This has a real jammy feel at parts, but the breakdown where his voice is pitched and he starts rapping more urgently throws that entire aesthetic in the trash. It's abrupt, like all of a sudden you replaced The Allman Brothers on stage with Asphyx randomly to add fake, cheap tension. Plus the random references to a bottle of lean and a model are making me laugh. You ain't doing none of that shit bruh. To be honest though, it has the typical lab research flatness of your standard interscope single, but somehow still feels kendricky and outkasty at the same time.

Not a good portent for the album, but I'm not sure if I liked Backseat Freestyle. But I don't think I'll ever end up liking this song.

100% agree with this. I really hope the rest of the album is nothing like this fucking trash song. Kenneth what the fuck happened?!?! YOU WERE THE ONE.

J10

Banned
That Kendrick single is different. It's also terrible. But I don't buy music, so it's no wonder that nobody makes music for me.

lol @ people complaining about the song in context of the album. Didn't we all do that about Backstreet Freestyle and get proven wrong? I don't like Backstreet Freestyle but it fits the album perfectly.

If I had to guess I'd say this is one of the first tracks on the album, given that it's a continuation of the voicemails as I said earlier.

Esch

Banned

The pain? Nah, i'm not emotionally invested in this one. His recent feature output was enough to chill any of the hype i might have had burning in my heart. Am I disappointed? Sure. I don't think that's any surprise though, as Kendrick released some great albums that I rated very highly. You wanna see thinly veiled disappointment balled up into denial? Look no further than this:

TDE are fools for not releasing this at the beginning of summer; this sounds like it would have been on rotation all summer. I guess it doesn't matter, it'll be on rotation regardless (Interscope, Clear Channel, etc) but still...

My impressions...not bad, not great. It's a pop rap single, moreso than Poetic Justice. In the mold of recent tracks with a retro, throwback sound (Blurred Lines, Happy, Rolling In The Deep, etc). It's not a coincidence that all those tracks were massive hits, and I'd imagine this will be too.

I actually prefer the beat breakdown during the bridge and third verse, which is a more interesting take on the sample and helps the track avoid a Diddy-esque laziness. I'm probably being hypocritical but that's just how I feel about popular samples: looping them in an obvious manner feels like cheating and is lazy. That breakdown is VINTAGE Aquemini though, love it.

Complaining about the theme strikes me as corny. I'm not opposed to positive anthems, I'm opposed to corny positive anthems (like Happy). Honestly this isn't corny to me. It sounds like a continuation of GKMC thematically. The song fits the theme of the last voicemail on Real.

iJ2oVLuKXWYzm.gif

studyguy

Heard it once this morning between Kendrick failing to name 4 things that start with the letter " i " Only thing he got was Iggy and was proud of it lol

Anyhow the track is...I dunno, feels like they cut to it between mixes so I can't tell what was what. The shouting doesn't do it for me tho
Any link up to just the track alone? 106 shit doesn't stop between tracks and there was a fucking drop in it when I heard it

codhand

TDE are fools for not releasing this at the beginning of summer; this sounds like it would have been on rotation all summer. I guess it doesn't matter, it'll be on rotation regardless (Interscope, Clear Channel, etc) but still... My impressions...not bad, not great. It's a pop rap single, moreso than Poetic Justice. In the mold of recent tracks with a retro, throwback sound (Blurred Lines, Happy, Rolling In The Deep, etc). It's not a coincidence that all those tracks were massive hits, and I'd imagine this will be too. I actually prefer the beat breakdown during the bridge and third verse, which is a more interesting take on the sample and helps the track avoid a Diddy-esque laziness. I'm probably being hypocritical but that's just how I feel about popular samples: looping them in an obvious manner feels like cheating and is lazy. That breakdown is VINTAGE Aquemini though, love it. Complaining about the theme strikes me as corny. I'm not opposed to positive anthems, I'm opposed to corny positive anthems (like Happy). Honestly this isn't corny to me. It sounds like a continuation of GKMC thematically. The song fits the theme of the last voicemail on Real.

iJ2oVLuKXWYzm.gif
iJ2oVLuKXWYzm.gif
iJ2oVLuKXWYzm.gif
iJ2oVLuKXWYzm.gif
iJ2oVLuKXWYzm.gif
iJ2oVLuKXWYzm.gif

Hip Hop

tf,

I hate pop music, hip hop joints that don't sound like hip hop.

but im liking this Kendrick joint.

I should also say I'm not a big fan of Kendrick.

tf.

overcast

PD essentially said the song is mediocre. No need to jump down his throat, I know you guys were waiting for that post.

Hopefully the song was a Hail Mary at a random pop hit, and we'll get a "real" song when this fails. /denial

iAO1rzBONEvF5.gif

After all that commotion, we get this....averageness? Can't say I'm really surprised. The beat is alright but thats really just thanks to the Isleys. Kendrick can go head on with that voice he's using.

This is that shit you play when your parents are in the car.

This is on point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom