• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

I don't see Aquemini, at all. That's what I was hoping with the Outkast comparisons. Gonna check that Hemsworth track out on break after class.

Booshka

The best part of " i " is the end when it starts to sound like Weather Report. It's a Poppy Summer Jam that should have came out in July. I don't hate it, and I think I may warm up to it, but disappointed overall. Hopefully it works somewhere in the record, if not I will probably begrudgingly skip it most of the time.

Pathos

Banned
Just listened to it
This is one clusterfuck of a song just hope that this doesn't represent the direction his album is going in

Lamar says he obtained Ronald Isley's blessing for the track. "I got a chance to meet him and even got him on the ad libs for the record," Lamar says. "You can hear him." K. Dot says it was important for him to do that because he does not want to "butcher" a record.

Kendrick, who says his parents love the new single, is still working on his upcoming album, according to the TDE emcee, who says he has seven songs ready for the project. Those seven songs have made the cut following a process that includes cutting out tracks that he doesn't feel are perfect 10s.

"I record a bunch of ideas and I really just sit and live with them until I feel like they got a potential of being a 10," he says. "Those be the keepers."
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/...k-lamar-discusses-release-of-i-upcoming-album

I'm sure the bucket of money helped too, but it's dope that a stickler like Ron Isley is on the track.

Really doubting a 2014 release now...

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Lupe and BOB would butcher that beat lyrically.
with a Bruno Mars like singer on the hook too

SPgWfxr.gif

i haven't heard the song yet. but this is getting strait ridiculous.

Don't compare it to Outkast. Maybe technically, but Outlast had funk, soul and Big Boys dick slapping to weigh out Andres cheese/corn. There was always that dynamic. Kenny doesn't have that here.

HiResDes

Lupe and BOB would butcher that beat lyrically.

They both will put out one good track every few years, and that's only after someone calls them out or they feel as though they've been overlooked by their peers. They don't butcher album tracks and their radio singles are the opiates of the urban populous.

big ander

catchin up on i:
song's mildly bad, weak but not a catastrophe. lyrics are the worst part, kinda like Veggie Tales were hired to play Made in America Fest. at least the hook is kinda lamely catchy and the production's playful at that switchup.
Y'know what, forget that post. I like it. Kendrick doing Andre 3K + good 2nd verse + playing around with the production/song structure for the 3rd verse. S'aight.
Kendrick wants that festival money brehs. That white girl in glow in the dark paint and native american head-dress dough. This shit about to slay at bonaroo you feel me? Coachella 2015 bout to be popping.

these pretty much

Esch

Banned
Lamar says he obtained Ronald Isley's blessing for the track. "I got a chance to meet him and even got him on the ad libs for the record," Lamar says. "You can hear him." K. Dot says it was important for him to do that because he does not want to "butcher" a record.

oops

so much for that one

iIZLGPPaVk8ty.gif

I also can't give the song a pass since I shit on Bob for doing the same thing that Kendrick is doing here. I don't blame them but damn :/
I still have hope for the album though as I loved that flylo track.

two more things...

1. If this was Cole's single we'd probably all be clowning him, including myself

2. Remember that story about Questlove being seated near Nas during the 95 Source Awards?

The ideology of what I considered "real" hip-hop died at the 1995 Source Awards. I was literally at its funeral-- I sat three rows behind Nas. In the audience, the Bad Boy camp was on the far right, all the West Coast and the Southern rappers were in the middle, and on the far left were all the New York underground rappers like Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, Nas, Busta Rhymes, and us. That was the day when Suge called out Puffy, and there were fights in the audience. I felt like a bomb was going to detonate.

Nas' body language that day told the whole story of where we were about to go. The more he got ignored for Illmatic, I literally saw his body melt in his seat. Almost like he was ashamed. He just looked so defeated. I was like, "Yo, he's not gonna be the same after this shit." None of us were the same after that day. I feel like the true underground lost its oxygen that night.

I hope to god we don't end up writing a similar narrative for Kendrick, in hindsight of the Grammy/Cacklemore shit. Not to mention competing with Drake's mainstream shit.

Esch

Banned
Damn, even the most self righteous of 'real hip hop' Nas/Kendrick/Lupe/Rawkus stans on thecoli are turning on this song. That's how you know this is garbage. Those dudes are used to stanning shitty conscious songs with terrible beats and choruses, been doing it for years and they're all throwing it in the bushes.

Album can still be good, but I don't know if it's an insta buy for me anymore.

Shit kind of sounds like something B.O.B. would put out.

That's what i thought too. Lasers Lupe, BOB, cornier parts of Outkast, Macklemore.

Yup. At best its an Outkast B-side.

Hope it's a preorder bonus track or something. I remember people being down on Backseat Freestyle, I always liked it and it worked even better in context of the album.

This is just average radio fodder. There's a few good ideas buried in there tripping over each other.

Booshka

"I" made a song for my parents, the record label and Ronald Isley's mortgage payment.

Album will still be day one buy for me though.

Esch

Banned
Does Antwon Cold Tears song give anyone a Ruff Riders feel?

I don't usually care for Antwon because he's so deadpan sometimes (like the Aubrey Plaza of rap, smh) but i like this track a lot. Nice and apocalyptic. Yeah definitely some ruff ryders/juvenile or something vibes.

giphy.gif

codhand

The ideology of what I considered "real" hip-hop died at the 1995 Source Awards. I was literally at its funeral-- I sat three rows behind Nas. In the audience, the Bad Boy camp was on the far right, all the West Coast and the Southern rappers were in the middle, and on the far left were all the New York underground rappers like Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, Nas, Busta Rhymes, and us. That was the day when Suge called out Puffy, and there were fights in the audience. I felt like a bomb was going to detonate.

Nas' body language that day told the whole story of where we were about to go. The more he got ignored for Illmatic, I literally saw his body melt in his seat. Almost like he was ashamed. He just looked so defeated. I was like, "Yo, he's not gonna be the same after this shit." None of us were the same after that day. I feel like the true underground lost its oxygen that night.

760.gif

omg with that Questlove story PD,

this shit reads like Hunter S Thompson talking about the end of the hippy movement. please stfu questlove.

cory64

"i" is just bad, no way around it.
Might resonate with a particular crowd (casual Outkast fans who dig Real Music and thought they "grew out" of listening to rap in bulk after high school) , but in general it's a super weak implementation of all of its influences.

cory64

Does this mean PopGAF can claim Kendrick now?

We'll give you Azealia Banks and half of Iggy for him.

If you spoke for PopGAF you would have already traded away Beyoncé without us knowing, not you trying it with this messy trade.
And do we even claim Iggy though? No one should claim ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom