• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
i still can't believe he made a Black Girl Lost 2 in like 2011, and that shit was gonna be on Life Is Good. Someone at Def Jam must have heard that shit and been like
JgZs64Q.png

Waste a hit boy beat, brehs
vuMyolG.jpg

IrishNinja

ya'll remember when jigga covered pac's track about his gat but made it about a woman instead? alpha levels of femotionals

and that's just the truth

drizzy stan also has poor R&B taste, interestin

man I want to date Rikki Martinez. Just chill and talk about music and cook for her.

i feel the same way about that Nessa chick from MTV

after googling both yeah i'll cosign/ass-eat these

Q's outfit looks like his wardrobe has a randomize button. I guess picking your outfit out of a pile on the bedroom floor is pretty much the same thing.

ahahaha dead/bout that life

Esch

Banned
ya'll remember when jigga covered pac's track about his gat but made it about a woman instead? alpha levels of femotionals

JgZs64Q.png
compare Jigga releasing a light hearted ode to the woman he'd eventually marry to a song that shames women for having sex and being pregnant , brehs.

I'm pregnant, don't know who the dad is
I'm happy, but this shit's the saddest
I'm maintaining, still keeping my status
Fuck what you haters say, my ass is still the fattest
Roll with the baddest, my girls in Gucci glasses
How could you pass this? Your loss
But I ain't tripping - I'm still the boss
I won't be another black girl lost
Lost, lost, lost, lost, Lost, lost
I won’t be another black girl lost

iATqBL4XhosQL.gif

cory64

drizzy stan also has poor R&B taste, interestin
not a drake stan, just Take Care
obviously Jesus Ware is better at R&B than Rihanna, but while Rih can only approximate the space Jesus dominates she has an entire range of homotional bliss to tap into such as luxury rap anthem Phresh Out The Runway, good dick anthem Where Have You Been, or grassmotional anthem Get It Over With

Esch

Banned
Nas said:
Chanel bags, everything
She shopping every time she gets a wedding ring
This her 3rd marriage, 4 carats
Brand new Jag, deserves to have it
Temptation, she can't let go her dirty habits
Mid 30's, spendin' dough at Magic
She's dancin', romancin', she's up at Manson
She fucks all my mans, and they pop the magnums
So now what you gonna do, the morning-after pill is way overdue
'Posed to get married, now you embarassed
Who does this kid belong to?
Promiscuous, cuz' she got touched by step-dad, sex at
Such a young age, if you was a virgin, I'd get mad

Sick society, blaming yourself so wrong
I highly respect you, bet that, strong, intelligent
This song ain't to poke fun of you, to get laughs
I just love you, really love you
Here for you, wanna trust you
Wanna cuff you, be my lady
But first, I gotta see the baby

iATqBL4XhosQL.gif

Only Nas can record a garbage track of this magnitude, have someone actually have the sense to prevent it from making the album, yet still take an L by having it leaked prior to a posthumous cash-in compilation.

IrishNinja

that's a great point, i wish he instead had "retired" in '03 and make nothing but weed plates in the decade since, forever in that last good album's shadow

i mean, i'd grab lyrics off a track from KC or MCHG to toss back out here, but there's nothing memorable enough to cite
sMwTTq0.png

Esch

Banned
that's a great point, i wish he instead had "retired" in '03 and make nothing but weed plates in the decade since, forever in that last good album's shadow

i mean, i'd grab lyrics off a track from KC or MCHG to toss back out here, but there's nothing memorable enough to cite
sMwTTq0.png

Irish dashing to cape for a song that dedicates bars to shaming a woman who was molested by family members

iATqBL4XhosQL.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The convo already passed, but since I started writing all this, current R&B power rankings:

1. Jeremih: Late Nights was one of the best R&B projects in the boom of 2012. Got a recently successful but also dope hit with Don't Tell Em. His recent mixtape of tracks that didn't make the new album was quite good, leading me to believe the new album must be very good.

Plus that Shlohmo project was nice, if too short.

Got lots of talent but also the mind to work with the right people in the right time. His first two albums were trey songs-level genericness but I'm confident he's found himself over the past couple years. Hyped for the new project, it's his time to shine.

EDIT - plus every girl I've turned on to his music has fallen in love.

2. The-Dream. Still up there. IV Play lowered his stock but the Royalty EP proved he's still got the chops as a song writer and a performer. His first two albums are fucking classics. Based on the credit of those alone he's ranked high for now.

3. Frank Ocean. He's kept a low profile since Channel Orange, but between that album and Nostalgia Ultra he's proven to be an important voice in the genre. I love the honesty and intimacy in his music. This dude's heart bleeds all over his songs. This was more apparent in the tape but I feel like he has a lot to say and I appreciate the way he's managed his brand. Laying low until the new project, if it ever comes out.

4. The Weekend. I'm conflicted because I dig his brand but it's growing old. He has more raw talent than most of these dudes, but he's so stuck in that dark sad drugs and sex lane. Wanderlust and Often prove he can make a great song but it's all so predictable at this point.

5. Miguel. Kaleidoscope Dream is a modern classic but before it and after he's hovered
close to cornball adult comtemporary status. I hope he can prove me wrong, but he hasn't put anything out since a track for the Girls soundtrack.

IrishNinja

John Legend's Love in The Future was heavily slept on outside of All of Me my favorite R&B album I've heard in years.

1) every time i fuck with a john legend album, i find too much filler so i skipped it
2) all of me is like my least favorite played out radio track down here so that doesnt help

1) every time i fuck with a john legend album, i find too much filler so i skipped it
2) all of me is like my least favorite played out radio track down here so that doesnt help

I will say similar to his first album the production on here is crazy I mean Hit-Boy, Q-Tip, 88 Keys, Travis Scott, Pharrell, BINK! and Kanye being executive producer and co-producing most of the tracks on the album. It's John Legend at his best singing over lush and soulful production.

overcast

Backseat Freestyle and Poetic Justice are easily better than I. Poetic Justice 3rd verse is fucking fantastic. Shit, just a great track for the ladies Kenneth. I think Real is better too, I never hated it as much as you guys though. A little corny, but important and I love the ending of it.

I'm back home. I'll post something later on the day, got some shit for ya, unless it was already posted. Fuck the gaming side, I'm done with them fools over there.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I need to step my RnB game up outside of dream and Frank Ocean I haven't listened to a complete project from any of the guys whose name is being thrown around.

With that said is there anyone currently in the T-pain drunk club RnB songs lane?

Kimosabae

Banned
The themes aren't all that similar to me.

Same. They might sound similar as rappers for a second, but after a few tracks it's pretty clear they're distinct in most ways.

still bummed Kendrick didn't hop on the Shot You Down remix.

Well, what do you guys find to be the primary distinction? I've only listened passively thus far, but both seem to focus their message primarily around ghetto fables with an introspective twist.

HiResDes

Well, what do you guys find to be the primary distinction? I've only listened passively thus far, but both seem to focus their message primarily around ghetto fables with an introspective twist.

First of all that's the most vague description that could fit countless hip-hop albums including those that sound nothing alike. Cilvia seems to be more focused on an intimate relationship and is more ambivalent about its take on vices. It's actually less positive and doesn't offer any true redemption from its pain besides the temporary relief of succumbing to vices. Rashad's demons are less concrete and more internal than the ones Lamar faces on GKMC. Overall Cilvia's themes are more subliminal, less explicit, and the entire album just kind floats these ideas around. Its as if the listener is brought inside Rashad's subconscious, whose mood waivers in almost manic fashion.

I'm back home. I'll post something later on the day, got some shit for ya, unless it was already posted. Fuck the gaming side, I'm done with them fools over there.

bless.

Kimosabae

Banned
It was admittedly vague, because I was making a comparison based off a passive listen of Rashad, like I said. His voice and delivery are similar, so the whole album just felt hella familiar, causing me to tune out, mostly.

I'll give it another listen today.

HiResDes

Unknown Memory is a definite improvement, but Lean's monotony still wears on me by the end and that's with near immaculate beats and improved hooks...Not sure he's ever gonna make a truly great album. It's good, but it definitely wears on me and starts to become quite repetitive.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I'm all about the production on his shit but as an MC he can only be enjoyed ironically, and that only goes so far for me.

Esch

Banned
I'm thinking of introducing a Dust Volume Album of the Week for us to talk about and listen to, since all you guys seem to have left a lot of classics alone. We used to do gaf-hop full album listens, maybe we should do that again. I was thinking we could start with this one?

organized konfusion- stress

tell me monch aint top 20

One of my fave albums ever. Shit is amazing and this Ariana Grande album is really boring, don't know what y'all see in this. Just a safe album with a nice singer I guess.

codhand

I'm thinking of introducing a Dust Volume Album of the Week for us to talk about and listen to, since all you guys seem to have left a lot of classics alone. We used to do gaf-hop full album listens, maybe we should do that again. I was thinking we could start with this one?

organized konfusion- stress

tell me monch aint top 20

good call. good choice.

Here's a great song-by-song break down with the gawds

a song from the prespective of a bullet?
ohhh.png

a song dealing with the untimely death of one's father?
tocry.png

my favorite track from this project is actually not on the album, but a remix of one that is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom