• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of Younge's production often feels so soulless to me. I can definitely imagine Premo breathing life into it by chopping some of his shit to pieces. Something About April has some good tracks but overall I'm just not a big fan. He's a great guy though.

A lot of throwback, retro music today sounds very stilted and unorganic to me. And also a lot less melody. Motown didn't just have great studio musicians - which a lot of modern retro sounding music relies on. They also had great, great songwriters. Arguably some of the best in modern music history.

A lot of Younge's production often feels so soulless to me. I can definitely imagine Premo breathing life into it by chopping some of his shit to pieces. Something About April has some good tracks but overall I'm just not a big fan. He's a great guy though.

I just couldn't get into 12 Reasons to Die for probably this reason. Something about it was just so...off to me.

I just couldn't get into 12 Reasons to Die for probably this reason. Something about it was just so...off to me.

I was about to say the same thing. It's a shame, I was extra hyped for that album. I should give it a listen again one of these days.

The listen to a retro album once a week thing sounds real fun, Esch. Definitely gonna go ahead and do that.

Cudder

Damn, Amber and Wiz getting divorced
Kane won
Amber's single and ready to mingle brehs

damn, I really thought it was true love

iEt61mZroWElR.gif

Same. Ghost being off beat didn't help. It's hard to make a dope live instrumental track when you don't give an MC space to do interesting shit flow wise. That's my problem with modern Roots stuff too - it's so simple, verse chorus verse chorus shit and Black Thought can't really go off.

Give me some break beats, man.

good call. good choice.

Here's a great song-by-song break down with the gawds

a song from the prespective of a bullet?
ohhh.png

a song dealing with the untimely death of one's father?
tocry.png

my favorite track from this project is actually not on the album, but a remix of one that is

I can't imagine what it would have been like to listen to OK in 91 and 94 compared to everything else in hip-hop at the time, they were so different technically. Like Pharoahe rapping on a chromatic scale on Stress, who does/did that? And I remember putting Thirteen on repeat waaay back on my first listens of the album, which is basically his version of spazzing out. It's like, he doesn't rhyme along with the beat, he just fucking bounces on it, bobs and weaves around it, all perfectly controlled. Criminal how underrated this dude is.

Always hoped Prince Po would have a better solo career than he did, dude was more orthodox but still amazing. Social Distortion with DOOM was a tune though.

I didn't know anyone in GAF-Hop besides Domino even liked Backseat Freestyle until now.

It does fit perfectly on the album though. It's almost cinematic when the beat drops.

codhand

I can't imagine what it would have been like to listen to OK in 91 and 94 compared to everything else in hip-hop at the time, they were so different technically.

i remember my friend specifically saying something like "these dudes are weird, the big guy can go off."

while watching Stress, a video that was on Rap City and MTV Raps regularly.

but overall the appeal was, yes they're strange, but lyrically so ill (back when "skillz" had a different meaning) that you couldn't front.

Stress was a fuckin single.

I never feel like I have anything to contribute here but as someone who hasn't gone through a lot of certified classics I'd love to jump in for the OK listening session. Did you guys already pick a date and time?

Speaking of Apollo Brown, I didn't catch onto him until earlier this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUtj0X3BQtk

I'm addicted to this beat and OC always disappears for a bit then pops back up to drop some quality music

One of my favorite beats/songs of the last 5 years.

The album is full of beats and lyrics that feel very nostalgic and evocative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK8Dtz3io88

Apollo Brown has been on a roll for awhile. Check out his project with Hassan Mackey from a couple years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jPd_f6zjVQ

I never feel like I have anything to contribute here but as someone who hasn't gone through a lot of certified classics I'd love to jump in for the OK listening session. Did you guys already pick a date and time?

Jump in a plug session whenever you get a chance there may be one tonight just click the link in this thread we usually play some of our favorite songs from classic albums in a session.

Tokubetsu

If you don't have at least a couple soundcloud and bandcamp artists with a hundred plays combined in your playlist, do you even listen to music?

big ander

I mayve recognized the genius earlier if I were older than 2 when the record dropped (not a good excuse for getting into it THIS late but still)

Dumb luck, a sample on the song The Extinction Agenda sounded really familiar to me, and it was because I had listened to Hancock's Sextant for the first time earlier this morning

big ander

I've heard of 2 or 3 of those, so that list can't be legit deep enough

^you hadn't fucked with Sextant yet?

Nah Herbie Hancock's a blind spot. My overall jazz listening's been limited to just a couple of the greats: Marsalis, Davis, Mingus, Jelly Roll, Getz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom