• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Distant relatives tour I was right by the stage a few metres from Badu she sang beautifully and even had a rant. The Marley brothers and their entourage electrified the show. They played a medley of their own songs and their father's classics, the God MC fed off their energy and closed the show standing back to back with the Marley's hand drummer performing one mic no instrumental.

That sounds awesome Nas, Marley family and Badu :phew:

Team eat ass is gonna overtake the other side pretty soon. :`)

n1k1BEz.gif

overcast

Best concert I've seen is St. Vincent followed by Danny Brown the 3rd time.

Worst was Q (the venue, holy fuck) and Cults (my first concert too).

Do you guys prefer smaller or larger venues?

I like smaller ones personally, but there is an energy at the bigger ones that are unmatched. Plus, you're almost never going to see a big named artist (once they've blown up) at a smaller venue.

HiResDes

Do you guys prefer smaller or larger venues?

I like smaller ones personally, but there is an energy at the bigger ones that are unmatched. Plus, you're almost never going to see a big named artist (once they've blown up) at a smaller venue.

Almost always small, duh, unless you're seeing someone with crazy stage theatrics like Yeezy or Bjork (SWOON)

Cheddahz

Banned
What's the best live act ya'll have ever been to?

best shows:
- swans in a run down theater was cool (xiu xiu was shit though)
- i went to an odd future show in 2011 and it ended up being a waka flocka flame secret show
- i got to see alex g and elvis depressedly a few weeks ago and it was dope, since i actually (kinda) know the dude who leads elvis depressedly (we're planning on kicking it together after the tour), so i got to chill with everyone after the show
- oddly, i went to a say anything concert last year (while i was at disney) and i didn't plan on going (was looking for a cigar place in downtown disney and saw they were playing at the house of blues). i was in a pretty shit mood that night and it pretty much turned my night around

worst show:
green day 21st century breakdown tour concert (first big venue show and i never wanted to go to a big venue show again; doesn't help green day mostly played their new shit)

i know it's four shows, but fuck it

HiResDes

When it's warm outside that means girls are going to be in the nice little booty shorts, t-shirts get a little sweaty, bud is passed around everywhere, and people get weird with water...Yeah it's lame caco don't even worry about it...

CRS

Gorillaz (saw them twice) but the Oakland one specifically.

Roger Waters' The Wall. The amount of effort put into the show's production is second to none. Amazing.

Black Star at the Paid Dues festival. Their set began in the evening, so it was starting to cool down from a pretty warm day, and all of a sudden during Respiration, a light rain started to fall. The feeling from this was pure bliss and being high as fuck literally all day made it that better. (The only time I made joints was for this festival.) Probably my favorite concert/festival moment.

CRS my breh they just put up Mind of a Chef season 2 on Netflix

fGmRJtO.gif

YEP! I got the email last week about it. So stoked to finally get to watch it but I just haven't had the time to. Can't wait to eat.

Esch

Banned
YEP! I got the email last week about it. So stoked to finally get to watch it but I just haven't had the time to. Can't wait to eat.
Just watched a couple. Sean Brock does a good job of running shit. There's a nice emphasis on history and farming, but less on travel and molecular gastronomy type shit. Makes me miss living in the deep south a little bit. Nashville hot chicken and bean salads :whew

I thought it was well known that Freddie Gibbs got blacklisted years ago. Jeezy taking him from label to label wasn't going to work under any circumstances. That being said, the fact that Jeezy actively tried to put him on tells me that he's telling the truth. Is Jeezy a fake gangster punk? Sure. But I don't think he tried to fuck over Gibbs...the music just doesn't work for mainstream audiences.

I love Gibbs but his burning bridges bravado isn't good for him, and he's also a bullshitter. He's not a gangster.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

My top 5 (so far) based on how memorable it was in order.

1) The Roots at my undergrad college's field house. I wasn't a fan before that show but I was one afterwards. This was like 2006 and I hadn't been to a good rapper's concert before. I was living in upstate NY and all we had visit the school so far was dipset affiliate JR writer. The field house had the crazy lighting and the roots did a rendition of Push it from salt and pepper and it was one of the best covers I've seen in my entire life. This was the concert that inspired me to try to catch all my favorite rappers live. Before this one I didn't have an interest in going to see rap concerts. Catch a Roots concert at least once it will change what you think can be done in a rap concert.

ehh.png

2) Busta Rhymes in 2009 at Santos Party House. Shit was like a god damn party in there and I haven't been to a concert since where the main act needed like an hour plus just to go through hit songs. I couldn't hear right for 2 days. Busta had dudes in the crowd passing him weed and was "on" the entire concert.... Shit was amazing and I'm pretty sure the crowd all got second hand high that night.

whew.png

3) Was an Odd Future concert 2 years ago at this outdoor venue for Peter Rosenberg's birthday. One of my boys who doesn't even listen to rap guilted me into going because he was a fan of OFWG and I always complained that he should give rap a try (he's into rock and chip tune...). Anyhow it was raining when we got there so my friend and I was soaked but it was so hot that day that the heat dried our clothes on our bodies in like 20 minutes. So its hot as fuck but OFWG is the headliner so everyone is standing in the heat for 3 hours. Eventually the sun goes down but its still hot as fuck but as soon as Odd Future gets at the stage it starts to rain again. So the crowd gets hype because the heat has finally passed and OFWG is finally performing a couple guys from the OFWG jump into the crowd to crowd surf and a couple mosh pits pop up throughout the crowd and through the whole thing the members of ofwg who are crowd surfing are just spitting bars.... and all of this is happening in pouring rain. It was the craziest thing I've seen at a rap concert. I've been to a ton of concerts and I've seen my share of mosh pits, but I've never seen as large a mosh pit at a rap concert. The crowds usually aren't the same but nope this is a full on smash. Shit left an impression on me and I got to admit I was a fan of OFWG when it was done, those dudes are hype as fuck.....

banderas.png

4) Ghostface in 2009 because beyond it being a Ghostface concert and thus a top 10 concert by default of it being simply a Ghostface concert. Some random drunk dude decided to sneak up on stage and ghost is the first one of all his people to notice it (side note there is at least 15 big dudes on stage with Ghost). So ghost starts verbally spazing on his people on stage about why didn't they realize some random dude had snuck on stage and wtf is he keeping them around if they will let shit like that happen. So I guess his people didn't want to see him get angrier because they just bum rushed the sneak off the stage through a venue exit on the left. I'm thinking "wow that dude fucked up, he's going to miss the Ghost concert" Then about an hour later when my boys and I were leaving the show we saw an ambulance outside by the exit and I realize "nah that dude didn't just fuck up, he got fucked up at the Ghost concert"....

whoo.png

5) Nas, J Cole, Ceelo at this Heineken free party I want to say 2010 maybe 2011.... The concert wasn't the best but it was free Heineken all night and my boys and I had front row spots because we camped them early and created a system where we would take turns getting beer and holding the spot down. While we went to the concert for the free beer and to see Nas. In hindsight Ceelo stole the show coming out with a band made up of 5 bad women wearing white lingerie and doing the song crazy live. But that is not at all why its in the top 5, the free Heineken is why its in the top 5. So because of all that free beer my friends and I got shit faced, this led to us doing what shit faced people do when your told you can get as shit faced as you want. We got reckless. One of us almost got into a fight with Homeboy Sandman because he complimented his girlfriend on her DJ skills and Homeboy got mad, another hooked up with a girl in the front row and had no fucked to give, and I got to second base with a random female security guard whose number I then lost because I was drunk off my ass and didn't bother to save it (she was thick though). The recklessness that night still makes me smile.

diddydatazz2.png

On a side note Joell Ortiz performed at 4 of the shows mentioned above.... because he performs everywhere in NYC. if you go to a NYC concert the show bill should say Joell Ortiz will do 3 songs to bless the show and leave.

CRS

What were you expecting from "OVOfest"? It's like going to a sushi bar and looking to order a steak.

Just watched a couple. Sean Brock does a good job of running shit. There's a nice emphasis on history and farming, but less on travel and molecular gastronomy type shit. Makes me miss living in the deep south a little bit. Nashville hot chicken and bean salads :whew

Sweeeeet. I'm always up for more history.

I'm actually thinking about making the popcorn grits that Daniel Patterson made on the show. Will top it off with some grilled shrimp as well. :ahh:

What were you expecting from "OVOfest"? It's like going to a sushi bar and looking to order a steak.
Nigga, last year we got: Cole/Miguel performing they shit together, P. Diddy/Mase reuniting, Wayne coming out, fuckin Kanye coming out, Wale, French Garbana, Big Sean,
Rocky and other people

Nigga we got tinashe and party next door this year smh

Cudder

Nigga, last year we got: Cole/Miguel performing they shit together, P. Diddy/Mase reuniting, Wayne coming out, fuckin Kanye coming out, Wale, French Garbana, Big Sean,
Rocky and other people

Nigga we got tinashe and party next door this year smh
So you're saying last year was garbage too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom