• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iQsjKn9y4pJPi.gif

I done been saying these words for many moons now.You have to imagine what that's like for Kanye. Jay taught him how to floss. How to bag bad bitches. How to sell clothes. How to make moves. You gotta wonder how difficult it is for Jay to have to play daddy to so many rappers; Kanye, Kendrick, Drake, etc. Nas must have felt the same after Biggie and Pac died. It must be frustrating raising a son like that and have him go from the hottest out, a young star to some type of antisocial tabloid trash he can't bring around the missus. Jay outchea trying to quietly raise enough capital to make a big platform for black artists and athletes to slowly divorce themselves from the white power structures in entertainment (note especially how he's moved Def Jam artists to the Roc) and his lieutenant having public, embarrassing fits about selling clothes.
By starting up a new label entirely funded and probably significantly owned by a white power structure in entertainment? Okay.

DominoKid

roc nation is just another front for the whitemans money w/ hov as their willing trojan horse to push it through. much like the nets/atlantic yards situation.

Esch

Banned
How the hell did Jay father Kendrick and Drake? Lmao. You trying hard on this one esch. Jay handles business well, but you're giving him credit for every major artist.

Lol, you didn't know? And he's in your avatar?

*whips out book of receipts*

Kendrick is a Jay stan, a bigger Jay stan than me easily. His nickname, K. Dot, is an obvious play on the S. Dot alias. The first song he ever committed to wax is a free over a Jay-Z beat. And if you go rifling through his mixtape discog there are more. He says Reasonable Doubt is better than Illmatic. He says Takeover is better than Ether. Even I wouldn't say either of those things, no way in hell. Also note that he stated Jay-Z's name first as the king on Control. Dude's a stan.

Drake loves Jay. He called him uncle hovy in that MTV documentary, says The Black Album is his favorite album when asked. He said, on actual wax, that he will shed real tears when hov dies but didn't when Pac did. He's a stan. A complete and total stan, shameless.

Both of these guys are bigger Hov stans than I am easily.

drake-roc.jpg

By starting up a new label entirely funded and probably significantly owned by a white power structure in entertainment? Okay.

In April 2008, Jay-Z inked a lucrative 10-year, $150 million partnership with Live Nation in order to fund his new venture Roc Nation.[2] He retained full-ownership of the company.[3][4] In 2010, Roc Nation signed international artist management company Three Six Zero Group to a worldwide partnership.[5] In February 2013, Roc Nation signed a worldwide publishing administration deal with Warner/Chappell Music.[6] In early April 2013, Roc Nation formed a new sports management division, Roc Nation Sports.[7] The new company will act as an intermediary between high-profile athletes and the sporting teams and companies seeking to capitalize on their abilities, just as any traditional sports management agency would.

Tokubetsu

New Kanye album could receive the worst critical reception of his career but you can bet money Imma love it.

If PhoenixDark is synonymous with Nauze
and Esch is with Jay
Then Tokubetsu is Kanye

Speaking of Drake you know Kanye is catching feelings that he is no longer the dominant voice of the generation - not that Kanye ever was of course, but still.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
How the hell did Jay father Kendrick and Drake? Lmao. You trying hard on this one esch. Jay handles business well, but you're giving him credit for every major artist.

Drake is jay's grandkid while being a weird mix of Wayne, Kanye, and PM Dawn. But part of Drake follows jay's style, especially when he raps about his "regrets" and does his "imaginary player" bit against other rapper. 0 to 100 is a perfect example of that. However, just like most grandfathers, Jay probably think the grandkids are soft, or even worse weird. However, he can't help but recognize them as being flesh of his flesh and style of his style.

With that said Kendrick is a mainstream pharcyde type rapper. Like spitta is the mainstream(ier) version of Devin the Dude, and Bronsolino is a child of Ghost. I think it would be pretty hard to find a rapper who was original. Maybe a female rapper because they are rare in the grand scheme of things

Esch

Banned

If anything, the hoemotions in this song only solidify that Kendrick is a Jay stan. Stans tend to cumlust for the object of their idol's desire. Note all the Kanye stans in here that repost amber rose and kim kardashian azzhole shots. They don't care about kim kardashians azzhole, there are plenty of girls with similar azzmeat showing their shit all over the internet every day. It's because she's with Kanye. Also note how Nas stans in the 00s tried to hype up Kelis as being hotter than Beyonce
JgZs64Q.png

or Jay-Z fucking Nas's baby moms.

Anyway, from 2011

Kendrick Lamar, however, took Jay-Z's corner in the debate. "Truthfully, I felt like everybody wanted to go against Jay-Z because Nas was the underdog. But I was riding with Jay because he was saying more facts. 'Ether' was powerful, but I always thought Jay had the upper hand."

A fucking stan. Look at that.

Kendrick is definitely a Jay stan, so is Drake. Interesting how both name Jay and Nas as their dominant influences lyrically. No mention of Kanye...

Even the fatherless generation that you would expect to stan Nelly, 50 Cent, and Kanye still looks back to Hov and Nas for guidance.
HHDZVs5.png

Tokubetsu

Kendrick is definitely a Jay stan, so is Drake. Interesting how both name Jay and Nas as their dominant influences lyrically. No mention of Kanye...

Even the fatherless generation that you would expect to stan Nelly, 50 Cent, and Kanye still looks back to Hov and Nas for guidance.
HHDZVs5.png

Look at these gymnastics. Anything to not be called an only Nas stan.

Tokubetsu

Look, when you drop 4 near classics in a row, nothing else matters.

And 2004...you leaving out Waiting to Inhale breh?
iPleyDJSztJZ2.png

Yes because the only song worth going back to on Waitin to Inhale is "What a Job." If you consider Inhale a classic either you're smoking Wiz Khalifa amounts of weed or your measurement for "classic" is hilariously low.

Keep in mind I've bought two Coughee Brothaz albums and recognized at least a quarter of the tracks on one as retitled Devin The Dude tracks with features.

"Just Tryn'a Ta Live" is still the "classic" Devin album. The only one.

Yes because the only song worth going back to on Waitin to Inhale is "What a Job." If you consider Inhale a classic either you're smoking Wiz Khalifa amounts of weed or your measurement for "classic" is hilariously low.

Keep in mind I've bought two Coughee Brothaz albums and recognized at least a quarter of the tracks on one as retitled Devin The Dude tracks with features.

"Just Tryn'a Ta Live" is still the "classic" Devin album. The only one.

Yeah....wise man told me don't argue with fools
ibqsG2MZiScJka.png

Esch

Banned

HHDZVs5.png

Even guys like Wale, Wayne, Lupe Fiasco etc say Jay and Nas are their favorites too. It's amazing how a pair of rivals, enemies, and now friends shaped almost 2 generations now.

HHDZVs5.png

overcast

Wait, cause an artist likes an artist they were "fathered"? So DMX fathered Kendrick cause Dot always talks about how Dark and Hell is Hot is the most influential album on him? Sure, those dudes are gonna give daps to Jay, he's the richest dude around and has the most pull business wise. Who else will they say influenced em? They're 27+ When they're asked on radio or TV it's between Jay or Nas.

You'll have the generation of rappers soulja girl aged talking about Kanye. Stay shook PD and Esch. The future is coming.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think this page is pretty much the apex of stannery on GAF-Hop. We've pretty much seen every mental hoop jumped through to get to some concrete that's a bit softer than the one faceplanted into last.

Esch

Banned
Wait, cause an artist likes an artist they were "fathered"? So DMX fathered Kendrick cause Dot always talks about how Dark and Hell is Hot is the most influential album on him? Sure, those dudes are gonna give daps to Jay, he's the richest dude around and has the most pull business wise. Who else will they say influenced em? They're 27+ When they're asked on radio or TV it's between Jay or Nas.

You'll have the generation of rappers soulja girl aged talking about Kanye. Stay shook PD and Esch. The future is coming.

I just gave you several examples from Kendrick's mixtape days when he didn't even know Jay-Z or that he was going to blow, that indicated his stannery.The obvious swaggerjack of the nickname. I can pick more mixtape freestyles if you'd like?

Kendrick Lamar said:
As a young emcee, his first instinct was to carve himself into the landscape of hip-hop’s Mount Rushmore. “When a kid starts to rap, he’s basically mimicking his favorite rapper,” Lamar says. “I thought Jay was tight, I thought Pac was tight, also Em and Snoop. Who wouldn’t want to pen thir raps after Jay-Z? But as you gain more of a passion for the music, it eventually manifests into your own unique voice.”

from 2010

yadda yadda yadda.

You're implying the rapper you stan doesn't have any integrity (trying to cozy up to Jay) and has coyly been trying to suck up to Jay since he was a kid. Just give up. I just don't get why you have such a hard time believing it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm pretty sure Drake said Kanye is his main influence.
He did, and it's blindingly obvious, but you know, goalposts on wheels and all that. Last page it's recent impact equated to market power, this page stannery is equated to musical influence.

It's been a rough past few years, let 'em live. #IBelieveInBBCPart2

I don't see any Ye in Kendrick though, but I don't see any Jay either. Some pretty homogenous qualities being attributed.

overcast

It's fine that Kendrick stanned Jay?? Like I said, one of the most prolific rappers of all time. You're trying to force some image of me being unwilling to accept this fact. You can probably pull up the same quotes from Kendrick about Nas from different interviewers. I don't see how he "fathered" him, especially considering Kendrick sounds like a completely different rapper and carved a path without Jay's help. Dre "fathered" him.

Esch

Banned
It's fine that Kendrick stanned Jay?? Like I said, one of the most prolific rappers of all time. You're trying to force some image of me being unwilling to accept this fact. You can probably pull up the same quotes from Kendrick about Nas from different interviewers. I don't see how he "fathered" him, especially considering Kendrick sounds like a completely different rapper and carved a path without Jay's help. Dre "fathered" him.

I just posted a quote for you that almost verbatim said that the early steps of Kendrick's rapping and writing were shaped by Jay-Z imitation.

Dre didn't father Kendrick, he received him full grown as a mentor and maybe tinkered around a little bit with Kendrick's already fully established production team.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Everyone should wash their ears out with that Gundam tape.

It's pretty good. I don't know how to describe it. Very west coast style of rap with presence in his voice over production you would assume PARTYNEXTDOOR or something would have, but with much stronger electronic influences, just a tinge of the Bay and without overdoing the bass that you see in most trap songs (chopped up more like Yeezus). If you just need some shit that bangs, I think it's a nice snack. 19 & Thuggin is my favourite joint off of the project.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Gafhop has been gross tonight.

It's due to a drought of high quality releases. It's like the original nba gaf during the offseason. Famine has us turning on each other.

Half the bored thread is trying to be ironic, the other half is like "are you fucking kidding me with that opinion" and then whenever somebody gets tired of it all the go meta and point to the other posters and says "what has happened to us?"

We need some good rap music

overcast

I just posted a quote for you that almost verbatim said that the early steps of Kendrick's rapping and writing were shaped by Jay-Z imitation.

Dre didn't father Kendrick, he received him full grown as a mentor and maybe tinkered around a little bit with Kendrick's already fully established production team.
I think you and I have vastly different ideas of what fathering means. He took influence, but now you're making it sound like Kendrick is the heir to what Jay is. He liked his projects supposedly, and I don't see a ton of Jay influence in Kendrick's music. I don't see them interacting a lot. Doesn't seem like much in the way of a mentor figure.

Q also said Takeover > Ether :]

Esch

Banned
I think you and I have vastly different ideas of what fathering means. He took influence, but now you're making it sound like Kendrick is the heir to what Jay is. He liked his projects supposedly, and I don't see a ton of Jay influence in Kendrick's music. I don't see them interacting a lot. Doesn't seem like much in the way of a mentor figure.

Q also said Takeover > Ether :]

lolwut? I didn't say Jay was kendricks mentor

On some level yes, I do see Kendrick as an inheritor of Jay-Z's will and to some extent so does Kendrick. I mean come on, look at this single art. How unsubtle is this?http://images.rapgenius.com/ecac7801d49c86c50079505edef2a8dc.500x500x1.jpg

As far as doing some direct musical influence does Kendrick sound like Jay? I'm not sure. Kendrick seems to think he's a big influence:

"That's the GOAT.... I came up listening to Reasonable Doubt. That's where I got the antics of making an album from"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I actually think Disco might like that Gundam tape. Hard to tell though, we barely like any of the same shit.

Jay Electronica is the only thing that can save GAF-Hop now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can see it now, when the Act II tracklist comes out, the moment GAF-Hop gets to reading this part of the tracklist:

7. Exhibit D
8. Advanced Warfare ft. Jay-Z, Eminem, Kanye West, Your Old Droog, Curren$y, Max B & RiFF RaFF
9. Katrina ft. Lil Wayne, Silkk the Shocker & Mo B. Dick

Pickles and Recon will get unbanned, Ken Masters will be welcomed with open arms, Blackace will be remodded and U-God will rise from his grave.

circle-of-friends.jpg

Pictured: GAF-Hop, 3030

Esch

Banned
if i knew all it took to get kanye stans in some feelings was to quote a couple interviews and give j cole some compliments id have done it years ago

ibcs1tCexM1n3K.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom