• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
i just cant give a fuck about shit that already happened, why would i want to learn about wars and shit

in one of my prereq's the history professor spent the first lecture telling us why we need to learn history. that about says it all to me.
196288LLOX.png

That lecture is for all of you lost ninjas.

It's pretty amazing to see how humanity has developed over time, and the scale of empires and shit over time. I can't even imagine how that isn't interesting TBH.

Cheddahz

Banned
History is probably the best damn course. You get to learn about what happened in the past, how nations tried their hardest to prevent it, and made the same damn mistakes. You also get to see how much dumb shit (like religion) plays such a big part in how history was made or whatever

History is dope

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think a lot of us dislike history because it's often just a matter of memorizing dates and bullet points in public school. Plus when you're young you might not have as much appreciation of that shit as you would as an adult.

Courage

I think a lot of us dislike history because it's often just a matter of memorizing dates and bullet points in public school. Plus when you're young you might not have as much appreciation of that shit as you would as an adult.

Pretty much. Most of my middle / high school history classes consisted of memorizing notes verbatim and regurgitating them on tests.

Esch

Banned
reading encyclopedia style history books/ textbooks ? AWFUL

reading history minded books that cover subjects in depth? amazing

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

again, a lot of that depends on the teacher. if he/she is monotone or just bad at teaching, it's way more difficult to become interested and remember what they're teaching.

the best history teachers relate what happened back then to what's happening now while not sounding like a robot.

Folks say they hate on history but will talk an artists discography and the development of that artist and the culture relative to modern times like no problem...

Just cause it's not the course you're sleeping through at school doesn't mean it's not history.

Lots of subjects are interesting on their own just not in a school setting. History is hit or miss because if you're stuck with a prof focused solely on read and regurgitate style exams you're going to hate the course.
It sounds obvious but it really does come down to the prof.
Although I'd be inclined to argue it's more the climate of education these days than the profs fault half the time. By that I mean on the emphasis on teaching to the exam to get the grade to get that good GPA. Not on actually learning.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
it's a huge bummer that the American school system goes out its way to teach you American history instead of world history.

much like the rest of the public school system, you are taught things but don't learn them.

cacophony

all you boring history lovers. i dont give a shit about the the development of humanity, im just tryin to up my yaper

the only seriously valuable thing i learned in college was being able to get shit down, and being able to BS without it seeming like im BSing. and doing presentations help, speaking in front of people.

Courage

all you boring history lovers. i dont give a shit about the the development of humanity, im just tryin to up my yaper

the only seriously valuable thing i learned in college was being able to get shit down, and being able to BS without it seeming like im BSing. and doing presentations help, speaking in front of people.

You literally sound more boring.

Intellectual stimulation > barely scraping by with BSing

May sound corny, but it's the only way to go. That's why you go with something you enjoy.

How do y'all feel about public speaking classes tho?

Communication courses are super fascinating and useful, but often taught as slacker courses so it's a mixed bag.

I was able to pick up a lot that helped in interviews for jobs etc, but that wasn't really my teacher doing that more the text book they used.

Esch

Banned
New Rocky shit is dope. Best new song i've heard from the 2nd round of the 'new generation stars' in a LONG time.

it's funny that song encapsulated what i'd want from an entire album from him
some Trap Lord esque beats
some beats reminiscent of the switch up half way through
some slopped beats like the ending
and a juicy j feature lol

mooooose

Asap had some cool well written guest verses and lyrically this song is back to his basic fare which isn't bad but I think it's such a weak look to throw shots at brands that you name dropped because they didn't give you props lol he sounds like a complete birch. Dope beat tho and I like that the song felt really well produced. It made me miss rocky

Esch

Banned
Song is perfect for Rocky, does exactly what he does best. Is he ever going to give you dope lyrics? Nope. Is he ever gonna give you dope song ideas? Nah.

We listen to A$AP Rocky to hear a guy talk that suspect swaggeur over multilayered beats with some hypnotic flow. The beat is great. I love the tension that's isnt realized in the beat until that interlude. I love the percussion, it's sparse yet sharp, reminding me of another beat i love- Beez in the Trap. The interlude... I dunno. It's cool, not sure if i'm feeling the filter they threw on rocky's vocals but it's fine otherwise. Perfect chill head nodder with a dash of menace. Hope his next effort follows up on the promise here.

Honestly I respect Rocky for refusing to give props to brands that treat him like shit. At least he's not begging those racist gatekeepers for a seat underneath the table like Kanye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom