• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

Gambino's among the rappers I can't understand the gafhop hate train for, along with Big Sean.

Dude can spit.

sN6iV2a.gif

Esch

Banned
Gambino's among the rappers I can't understand the gafhop hate train for, along with Big Sean.

Dude can spit.

The reason you like Gambino is because you're a Wayne stan, and he's the piece of dookie foundation in the Donald Gluber poop mountain.

Big Sean is okay but grating for sure sometimes. He has his highs and lows.

iavi

The reason you like Gambino is because you're a Wayne stan, and he's the piece of dookie foundation in the Donald Gluber poop mountain.

Big Sean is okay but grating for sure sometimes. He has his highs and lows.

I didn't ask why I like Gambino bruh

GAF-Hop fuckery is out of control right now.

Nah, a dissenting opinion on Gambino is tame in contrast to the KTT-esque fuckery y'all got going on in here 90% of the time as of late. be real.

Esch

Banned
I didn't ask why I like Gambino bruh

Yea, and gaf hop (aside from enzo and like 3-4 other ppl) dont fuck with wayne like that, especially not pussy similie overusing album wayne. Gambino is intolerable, listen to how he delivers a line, he sounds more nasal than macklemore, awful. He's gotten better since 2011, but he's still straight corn. He raps like he's constipated.

His punchlines are Royce Da 5'9" level corn syrup trash

IrishNinja

Y'all think I'm playin games. i. aint. It's all either unfounded, or uneven. ESPECIALLY in the case of Sean.

Dude has an amazing ear for beats, and, definitely as of late, is killin' em.

my man cast is outchea spreading the gospel of donald so you're not riding solo, for one - for another, shit isn't uneven for sean: dude shouldn't even get work at a dry cleaner.

he ruins tracks he's on, and yeah he has an ear for beats - so what? there's more great producers these days than ever, and plenty of mediocre-ass or better MC's ready to jump on them. if sean was an actual victim of an assquake tomorrow, sure there'd be a few reckless hours of talk of his "greatness" - budden's got internet people on lock, canibus still gets college radio love despite the L's - but would hip hop even notice, or would 3 forgettable-ass rappers fill his place that very day like a hydra, if you will, but composed of feces, poor flow & delivery rather than fire & brimstone?

i'm bettin the latter, fam. sean is a mythical creature made of shit is what i'm sayin.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Big Sean is an incredibly technically talented rapper that gets himself stuck in the same tropes and shitty flows trying to pander to the pop audience. It's working for him, but its been less and less tolerable since Guap.

Macca

Big Sean is an incredibly technically talented rapper that gets himself stuck in the same tropes and shitty flows trying to pander to the pop audience. It's working for him, but its been less and less tolerable since Guap.
naw. shawn still got it.

Enzo, idfwu.

oTPPtxQ.jpg

Courage

Lmfao at Gambino having a line "getting hated by the Charlamagne" while Charlamagne has no idea on what the fuck he's talking about.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
that new Rocky Track
whew.png

Jeez, I'm not into streetwear so can someone explain what the HBA and Been Trill shots were about?

Furyous

New ASAP Rocky

What in thee blue fuck is this? Did y'all lose recipes or what? This is hip-hop but different from the traditional sound in some ways. The heavy homage to 3 6 Mafia and UGK is surreal to me as someone that came up in the various eras where anything out of NYC was labeled as some bamma shit.

Kwixotik

New ASAP Rocky

What in thee blue fuck is this? Did y'all lose recipes or what? This is hip-hop but different from the traditional sound in some ways. The heavy homage to 3 6 Mafia and UGK is surreal to me as someone that came up in the various eras where anything out of NYC was labeled as some bamma shit.

Have you listened to ASAP Rocky before?

that new Rocky Track
whew.png

Jeez, I'm not into streetwear so can someone explain what the HBA and Been Trill shots were about?
He's mad because they didn't give him props and he sees them as stealing a style he popularized. But then he stole it from SGP so...

Zeus Molecules

New ASAP Rocky

I use to feel like that too but I learned to just chalk it up to "the kids being alright but their different".

I think its now they pay homage to their style/flow influencers/originators instead of where your from (or even who you listened to growing up). Its like when Lupe got all that flack for not knowing ATCQ song or giving them props when it was clear to fans (even if not to lupe) that at the time ATCQ was where he got his style from. Rocky spitting dope boy stuff over all those dark menacing beats is 3 6 mafia to the core. And his whole pimp persona is Pimp C.

He's mad because they didn't give him props and he sees them as stealing a style he popularized. But then he stole it from SGP so...

Thanks, They should of paid him some money I guess.

HiResDes

New ASAP Rocky

Have you been under a rock? How much is rent there?

Zeus Molecules

You don't get paid for starting trends. An aesthetic can't really be copyrighted like that lol.

no, but you go to a company doing it and say hey pay me to rock your stuff. Its a little more vague than telling adidas pay me to wear this particular brand of sneakers. However, at the end of the day its basically the same.

I know, I know, street cred could be ruined, but the way rap works today does anyone really care?

Zeus Molecules

I don't think so unless some sort of contract has been signed. Rapping about clothing has always been free marketing.

thats what I'm trying to say. Every rapper eventually says they should of got a contract to be paid to market clothing. Like Russell Simmons complained that he didn't get run DMC a contract to sell ADIDAS, and the money he lost on that inspired him to create Phat Farm. That is usually how it goes

1) A rapper promotes brand because he thinks its cool
2) The brand makes a lot of money
3) The rapper realizes he isn't making any of that money
4) The rapper regrets doing free marketing
5) He/She decides to make own clothing line
6) The Rapper owned clothing line is overshadowed by brand rapper promoted for free
7) The Rapper loses money

In rocky's case he was an aesthetic before the brand which meant he could of easily demanded a marketing deal from the clothing company, with the threat he would do what he just did now forcing the brand to agree.

HiResDes

I just don't think it's an injustice is all. He went in knowing full well that he might not receive any money and still proceeded to parade himself around like a damn cheerlander for the brands. I have no sympathy for any rapper that does this. There's enough product placement in rap without any ad revenue, so much that I'd hate to hear what the music would sound like if it were in fact consistently encouraged financially.

Esch

Banned
you have been this whole time.

some of the promo is free some of it isnt. back in the day the promo was definitely not free.

Don't drink 8 Ball, cause St. Ide's is givin ends

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
you have been this whole time.

some of the promo is free some of it isnt. back in the day the promo was definitely not free.

Don't drink 8 Ball, cause St. Ide's is givin ends
Eh, most promo back in the day was free. These deals only got lucrative the past 5ish years. Otherwise at most, you got a sneaker deal you didn't get shit out of but some stronger branding which.. you couldn't use to leverage anything else because rap was still scurry.

Esch

Banned
Eh, most promo back in the day was free. These deals only got lucrative the past 5ish years. Otherwise at most, you got a sneaker deal you didn't get shit out of but some stronger branding which.. you couldn't use to leverage anything else because rap was still scurry.

I think it, like back then, depends on the rapper really. But most of these high end /boutique brands dont seem to go in for rappers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom