• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolOff

But his new shit ain't better than some of these niggas new shit tho.
JgZs64Q.png

Esch

Banned
punchs need to quit with the hashtag Dame Dash act, talking a lot of smack about ppl all the time

TDE toughguy lol

jtCdbkL.jpg

TDE gettin a little cocky tbh

their numbers havent been bad for the year tho

Kendrick could deliver the second coming.. maybe they got a reason behind dis

I just discovered that isn't punch. Different person, no?

You guys catch feelings so quick about anything TDE now, jeeesus.

I was gonna mention that but both of them take shots anyway which is true.

Sometimes warranted, sometimes it would be better just to not say anything.

He been running his mouth for a while now, no feelings caught, just think he's annoying on social media

Drake did send veiled shots at Kendrick tho

Oh yeah, top dawg runs his mouth more than any of the artists. Unnecessary.

Punch: https://twitter.com/iamstillpunch
Dangeroo (top dawg?): https://twitter.com/dangerookipawaa

Different people right? That's what confused me. I thought Dangeroo was punch.

Punch is Punch
Dangeroo is Top Dawg
Dave Free is Dave

Esch

Banned
Drake did send veiled shots at Kendrick tho

Yea and Kendrick sent them first after Drake had the good grace to take him on tour and give him a feature
JgZs64Q.png

I obviously prefer Kendrick between the two but let's be honest, TDE is the source of bad blood between the camps not Drake.

While I agree Punch and Dawg are feeling themselves a little too much...I can't fault them for responding to that wack ass Drake "diss." Aubrey literally responded to Kendrick by saying "I make the best hooks, yall." Really?
giphy.gif

We all laughed at that when it happened, I'm cool with Punch doing the same. My bigger problem is that if Drake had released a song as commercial and soccer mom friendly as I Love Myself, Punch and Top Dawg would be laughing on twitter. And I actually like the song, but let's be real.

Yeah honestly nobody kendrick called out has released a single as awful as "I" imo

Drake doesn't even need to bring that up though. A king doesn't stoop to his subject's level

[I'd put lebron trollface here but I'm too lazy to find it]

Yeah honestly nobody kendrick called out has released a single as awful as "I" imo

Drake doesn't even need to bring that up though. A king doesn't stoop to his subject's level

[I'd put lebron trollface here but I'm too lazy to find it]

Too late Discodust

While 'i' was what it was. Drake did release some shit like Hold On Were Going Home on some pinnacle of corny shit.

After Started from the bottom tho

overcast

Any of you guys have plans on what rap to play to your kids? I sometimes wonder that. Like what age would you be okay with them listening to Illmatic for example?

Any of you guys have plans on what rap to play to your kids? I sometimes wonder that. Like what age would you be okay with them listening to Illmatic for example?

They'll start like I did, with ice cube

I don't want them to turn out like me though so it would have to be after 13

But who am I kidding. They'll be on YouTube 2.0 listening to Travis Scott's son yung flame at 8 years old

Courage

Celebration will be the first song I'll be playing.

And I vow that my child will be well endowed
Like his daddy
And tell him that your mama had a fattie
He looked up at me said, "daddy that's the reason why you had me?"
Yep, we was praticing
Til one day your ass bust through the packaging
You know what though? You my favorite accident
So go head pop some Cristal
For my newborn child cuz now y'all

I'm probably not gonna have kids

Esch

Banned
Real talk tho that shit happens sometimes, even with really watchful parents. my dad lost me in six flags once when I was a kid
dW4L2q5.png
. I had to go find a security guard.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What are you talking about, that is punch's account and we all know it.

He been running his mouth for a while now, no feelings caught, just think he's annoying on social media
Late but cosigning this. The entire camp gets super defensive when it comes to opinions and they take shots and shit too. If anything breaks TDE apart it will be those guys egos. Way to gassed ATM.

Late but cosigning this. The entire camp gets super defensive when it comes to opinions and they take shots and shit too. If anything breaks TDE apart it will be those guys egos. Way to gassed ATM.

The fans are to blame for this tbh

"this album saved hiphop!!!!"

Right....

Kendrick Lamacklemar, Ab-Soul alternating between corny and boring, Q being a drug/food addict. Rock is the only one not destroying his image...cause he ain't release anything and has almost no presence.

TDE way too cocky with how they've performed post-GKMC

Esch

Banned

It's wack. What do these two guys gain from this besides some attention? It doesn't grow the TDE brand, nobody's checking for these guys like that. All it does is make hip hop fans dislike them for being self righteous and pointlessly confrontational. It's like what would happen if you gave Count Blackule a PR job, just a mess.

The fans are to blame for this tbh

"this album saved hiphop!!!!"

Right....
I don't really think so. Credit is due where credit is due: Kendrick released a super dope album that made waves and sold records. Moreso it was one of the first times we've seen a very lyrical album based on a concept get a lot of buzz. And he does deserve dap for that. The rest of these TDE bums running their mouths and slacking off based on Kendricks shine tho...

Courage

wd0zLqM.jpg

So even though more than a week has passed, I still wanted to commit to listening hip hop classics I’ve never heard, so I gave Stress: The Extinction a few listens between yesterday and today. Here are my thoughts:

Intro: What a fitting way to start the album. It’s like the whole album’s essence was condensed into a two minute track; a mélange of voices groaning before the drums hit and Po psychotically delivers his first verse. It perfectly encapsulates the anger and confusion of this album. Monch also delivers lyrically but it was just a sample of things to come.

Stress: Fuck, this song is awesome. I love the bass before the horns kick in. The horn sample sounds like something you’d hear in a horror movie reveal. It’s an explosion after the tamer intro, with Po and Monch delivering explicit lines like “I'm spreading, like leprosy, throughout the record label” and “My perception of poetical injection is ejaculation The Immaculate Conception.” I love Monch’s verse as he takes on the role of a godlike figure,
“Most of you can't even comprehend what I am saying; To you even in my human form the message I'm relaying”

while he also takes a shit on your musical taste,

“Why do you choose to mimic these wack MC's? ; Why do you choose to listen to R&B?

The end also accentuates the utter insanity of this track. The “CRUSH, KILL , DESTROY, STRESS” chants over the blaring horn sample terrify me.

The Extinction Agenda: The beat on this track is smoother than Stress and the Intro, and although that’s the case, Po and Monch are still brutal as fuck.

Back in the land I expand data for the wack
Leaving multilated bodies lacerated limbs grim sites

But Monch steals the show with this part:

Six hours until dawn, my quest to capture the queen
Without being seen by the pawns
Call me Bishop, bishop takes rook, rook takes pawn
Pawn takes knight, knight takes queen
Queen takes the original King James version (check)

My man Monch floored me with the chess metaphor. Amazing breath control. Despite his faster flow, he still knows exactly when to pause for the added effect (“LET IT LIVE”).

I also can’t help but notice their chemistry in this track. They truly complement each other perfectly.

Thirteen: Monch amazes me with the change of his inflection while he delivers some lines. If you told me he’s genuinely psychotic, I’d believe you. He also disowns the beat, because fuck the beat, it doesn’t dictate what he says or how he’ll say it.

I'm no slave to a rhythm, I whip it
Then I take its name and change its religion
Then I chop the foot off the fucking beat
For trying to escape the track, now it's obsolete

Black Sunday: This song was ok. I don’t mind the hook, but the song is relatively calmer and less memorable than the other tracks. No lyrical highlights either. Beat is serviceable, I think I’ve heard that sample before though.

Drop Bombs: This interlude is nuts. The opera in the background, the screams, the drums. It’s a perfect lead in to Bring It On.

Bring It On: This song might have my favorite Monch verse. The way he changes up tempo,repeats certain syllables, pronounces and raises his voice for effect, as well as all the syllabic density he fits in; it’s all pretty much perfect

Incisions are made into the brain and then I begin to give em
A lobotomy, follow me!
I'm shapin your br-ayi-yi-ya-in... li-li-li-li-like... pot-der-der-der-ery
(ALL OVER THE TRACK!)

Po’s verse is no slouch either.

Gettin me vexed, while outdated raps get trampled
FE-FI-FOE steps up elevations show
That I'm ahead of your time, specifically right behind a dope rhyme
Rippin shit up at prime time I'm, Optimus Prime/time material
Imperial wizard of vocabularic havoc I eat MC's like cereal!
That's soggy, milky skills like Mister Miyagi

Probably my favorite track off the album in terms of delivery and showcasing their technical abilities

Why: Great song too. I love the sax on this, and they both tackle girl issues with the same sharp wit they exhibit throughout the whole album. Probably one of the few times Po’s verse is better than Monch’s.

Let’s Organize: Best upbeat song on the album. I love the funky bassline and horn sample. Hook pumps me up too. I’m glad Po has the most verses on this, since his voice and flow sounds better on this type of beat than the harsher sounding tracks. I also love the song structure on this album; Let’s Organize -> Keep It Koming is an awesome string of smooth, jazzy songs.

3-2-1: Po once again nails it; great delivery and verse. The way he rides the beat, controls his flow; so effortless. Fucking amazing. Dat bassline.

Keep it Koming: I love the odd percussion on this song; definitely distinguishes it from all the previous upbeat songs, despite its minimal composition. By this point I also realized how this duo can perfectly adapt to any beat that is thrown to them with the same charisma consistently. It’s just a joy to listen to both of them, whether it’s an abrasive song like Stress or something as smooth as this.

Stray Bullet: When y’all were talking about a song concept revolving around a bullet last week, I couldn’t help but think “that sounds kinda gimmicky.” (the Nas song with a similar concept was ok).This song is definitely one of the best songs on the album though. The sample used sounds menacing, as it should. The imagery painted by Monch on this song is astounding, providing vivid detail with each bar. Everything moves in such a fast pace, as if the song is travelling with the bullet. I can’t help but sense some of the undertones in this song. A commentary on gun violence and how random it can be at times.

Maintain: Surprisingly optimistic closer that pretty much encapsulates all the themes of the album. Po delivers lyrically, as he raps about the crime and unemployment rate, injustice with cops, but ends the verse with a more lighthearted, braggodocious tone (being pulled over by cops in your Rolls Royce, making masterpieces in the studio). I didn’t particularly like Monch’s crooning on my first listen, but have grown to like it as it feels more primal and sentimental as he talks about his dad and the depressing situation around him.

Overall, I think this whole album is justified in being called a classic. It sounds abrasive, ominous, yet personal, emotional and funny. No flashy gimmicks. No BS. Just an earnest rap duo spitting their lungs out on some timeless beats.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Kendrick Lamacklemar, Ab-Soul alternating between corny and boring, Q being a drug/food addict. Rock is the only one not destroying his image...cause he ain't release anything and has almost no presence.

TDE way too cocky with how they've performed post-GKMC

I actually think Q has become a better rapper since dropping his album, and all these kids rock bucket hats in NYC. He can definitely be the number 2 on the label, he just needs a catchy radio song to get maximum exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom