• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
BulIv5mCcAANF0b.jpg

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Used to play 2k on the dreamcast with my group of friends back in college and shit would get heated all the time. That and marvel vs capcom almost lead to many a riot.

DominoKid

2k is one of the things I miss the most about college. Everybody had that shit and we had a fuckload of free time so the competition was crazy. 2k13 soured me on the series though so i didnt cop 14.

Cheddahz

Banned
i always get the 2k games for cheap on pc now and just download draft class mods for them and it's dope

i mean, i'm only paying $15 for it (most of the time) and it's easily my most played game each yeah, so it's worth it (to me)

Macca

i always get the 2k games for cheap on pc now and just download draft class mods for them and it's dope

i mean, i'm only paying $15 for it (most of the time) and it's easily my most played game each yeah, so it's worth it (to me)
did you get the space jam mod?

HiResDes

I just wanna say Chuuwee ain't never fell off...I'm sorry I stopped stanning, totally back in the wagon. Dude is about to release his third project of the year. Cool World is so fucking dope. His We Made It Freestyle is also the best

big ander

I just wanna say Chuuwee ain't never fell off...I'm sorry I stopped stanning, totally back in the wagon. Dude is about to release his third project of the year. Cool World is so fucking dope. His We Made It Freestyle is also the best

Oh shit I forgot about Chuuwee for like a year and a half. crown me king was a fantastic tape and the others I listened to around that time were decent too. What's good from this year edit: dl'd cool world

T Dollarz

This. Ultimate Base Roster master race.

HiResDes

0HYohF6.jpg

Common - Nobody Smiling

What a frustrating album. Nobody Smiling is almost great and that's a more accurate description than calling it decent or good because it symbolizes just how disappointing it is.

The production is pretty overall. You can tell how much No ID influenced Kanye's style, especially at the onset of his career. So Common getting No ID to handle the album is in a way like cutting out the middle man, as the roots of Kanye's styles are very much alive in the aforementioned producer. The beats in the beginning mostly mostly dark and menacing, incorporating synths that wouldn't be place out a funeral procession, but there are also are a few breaks in the somewhat suffocating tone of the album here and there. Kingdom features a choral sample and pace that will instantly remind listeners of Jesus Walks and the simple yet holistically soulful sample on Rewind That would make Dilla blush. The funky blues beat on Out of Bond encapsulates the streets of south-side Chicago so well. 7 Deadly Sins has to be an ode to RZA, it sounds like it could have been a b-side on Wu-Tang Forever, and I mean that in an entirely positive way. And the last track slows the pace down a bit, yet keeps things a bit somber. It's the perfect denouement giving enough Common enough breathing room to really contemplate the zeitgeist with insight and sincerity.

What keeps the album from being great are a few glaring missteps that mostly take place in the middle of the album with the exception of Diamonds. Diamonds is such a fractured mess. Common's verses are on some inconspicuously reflective shit though his tone sounds like he's just trying to swag out. However Big Sean's chorus really suggests that the song was probably meant to be breakout single. Big Sean's entire presence is entirely banal and shallow. He doesn't even sound like he's trying and the content of his raps are poison to a track with a pretty good beat and some decent Common verses.

Hustle Harder is another low point. And it's a damn shame because that beat instantly conjures head banging and toe tapping. Common is entirely to blame for the ruin this time. I'd consider myself a pro-feminist, so I'm all for a song that big ups female independence, but it just sounds so random, cheesy, and forced on this song that it's hard to get behind. Also the way Common constantly measures the hustling women to a nigga is laughably limiting and idiotic. I wish the track was an instrumental interlude.

Lastly, Real isn't a bad track, but it really fucks up the pace and atmosphere of the album. Also it's presence doesn't really add anything to the it. Common isn't really saying much of anything on the track and it just seems entirely insignificant.

The album really starts and ends so well that it kind of makes the blemishes in the middle easier to forgive at first. However, when you think about what the album could have been and just how well some of the standouts work in contrast to the lows the album's squandered potential becomes harder to swallow.

Strong 7

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Whatever the mixtape after Crown Me King he put out was TERRIBLE. I wouldn't say he fell off, he had a hot day. I don't even go back to Crown Me King except for like one song.

CRS

Aren't you the one who prefers joints?
Fuck no. Joints and blunts are a fucking waste. If you're going somewhere that searches you, then fine. Otherwise, nope.

Glassware >>>>>>>>

Edit: Vaporizing is fine but not for me. I don't ever smoke with other people except when a friend has a BBQ/pizza night so a pipe has always been sufficient.

Esch

Banned
Not sure if this was posted yet, but 2Pac's All Eyez on Me has been certified Diamond. Him and Eminem are the only two hip hop artists that have ever had two of their albums to go Diamond:

False, Biggie Life After Death went Diamond in 2000, Pac lost.

click to listen

False, Biggie Life After Death went Diamond in 2000, Pac lost.

I guess I should have worded that better. Pac and Eminem are the only hip hop artists to have more than one of their albums go Diamond (Marshall Mathers LP and Eminem Show, and All Eyez on Me and The Greatest Hits).

Zabuza

Banned
I really don't get how dudes like G-Eazy and Hoodie Allen are popular (sort of). I don't see the appeal. They're really fucking trash.

I'm with him on most of this, but I don't think the line is as muddy as he thinks it is. As the money went up since he was active, people running up on each other outside of the battle decreased. It's more business now.

Plus, battlers like Verb and Lux do the work that maybe he should think about. Shit, we had a battle come out last week with a christian rapper who was fire for crying out loud.

I didn't really know that people were making serious money out of battling. That's interesting and I wonder how it works. To me, or at least with the internet it seems like battle rap is a lot more prominent than it used to be.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I really don't get how dudes like G-Eazy and Hoodie Allen are popular (sort of). I don't see the appeal. They're really fucking trash.

I don't know who the fuck Hoodie Allen is but G-Eazy is bassically trying to be the white drake. He makes easy listening rap with enough crude subject matter that some dudes will think he's cool and some chicks will think he's that "bad boy" type. Plus he's got that Abercrombie look so he's marketable. I enjoy some of his stuff because he has had some great production. I dont know if he's still producing his own stuff but his first mixtape I heard a few years back had some of my favorite production of the year on it. And the latest album doesn't quite match that but still has some fantastic stuff. G Eazy himself is a one dimensional rapper who would barely register on anyone's radar from strictly a rapping point of view (his lyrics all basically boil down to how he is going to fuck your girlfriend) but he has what really counts in the music industry, he is marketable and can make a catchy hook.

Dereck

I'd made time to listen to race music for the first time today and it's great enough that this one's jumping near the top of my list.
Wish I hadn't let the 70m run time make me put this off for so long.
The long-ish run time for Race Music is tolerable because the album is so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom