• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
HIYtzbI.jpg
New :blessed: smiley contender

Push is basically the rap game version of The Shield. Been around longer than most, always lingering just outside of the top tier of his peers, gets hyped up by a few people more than he should, generally one note machismo worship but strays a bit here and there, super corny if you put any thought into it. Stops being believable and takes you out of the show at times. Somehow The Shield is like a religion in here.

MNMN + HHNF = super dope though

I never really knew people fucked with The Clipse the way they do til a few years ago to be honest and it always surprises me when I see someone talk about how complex their lyrics are about coke. Don't really think they are worth mentioning years later tbh. I like MNINM though

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I never really knew The Clipse were a "thing" until I started following hip-hop on the internet TBH.

Then again, you see the same thing for Boosie and shit. I just chalk it up to another movement I don't understand.

I never really knew people fucked with The Clipse the way they do til a few years ago to be honest and it always surprises me when I see someone talk about how complex their lyrics are about coke. Don't really think they are worth mentioning years later tbh. I like MNINM though

I've always liked the interplay between Pusha's coke fueled glamour verses and Malice's coke fueled paranoia verses. The two of them had a good balance when they combined those two takes. When that shit was on, it was REALLY on. Now when Push makes references to Malice (like every other track btw) it's just...not enough. Acknowledging the difference isn't illustrating it. Push needs someone to balance him out.

I never really knew The Clipse were a "thing" until I started following hip-hop on the internet TBH.

Then again, you see the same thing for Boosie and shit. I just chalk it up to another movement I don't understand.

Nah, you chalk it up to just living in Canada tbh

I get the Clipse stuff since I like them, but not boosie.
It makes sense Boosie is as popular as he is today. 10 years ago people who lived in the south was mentioning him alongside Jeezy and Wayne mixtapes. He is someone who was popular in only a certain region of rap and tbh was only selling about 90k in a time where even garbage rappers were selling 200k easily. Because the rap game is now a lot more southern focused, he popularity is even bigger before he locked up because a lot of people who are hot right now grew up listening to him and constantly saying free boosie

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
yeah you're right. it's like the son has eclipsed the father.
The relationship between those two types is interesting. The vets usher the new guys in with features and sign-offs and all that, while simuteanously leaching off their cutting edge appeal to stay hot. That new TI single is a good example. Sometimes even jack their style as we've seen with that Thugger influence lately.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Von Poe posted this http://www.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2014/08/06/battle-rap-im-just-not-that-into-you

I'm not entirely too sure if I could agree to all that he's expressing although I am not that knowledgeable when it comes to battle raps.
I'm with him on most of this, but I don't think the line is as muddy as he thinks it is. As the money went up since he was active, people running up on each other outside of the battle decreased. It's more business now.

Plus, battlers like Verb and Lux do the work that maybe he should think about. Shit, we had a battle come out last week with a christian rapper who was fire for crying out loud.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I get the impression that MBDTF fans are the same late 20s white dudes who bump Lakutis mixtapes.

shit is a 3/5 at best.
I appreciate the value of that album but it's a mess. There are poignant and powerful moments for sure, but it's Kanye's over ambitiousness and excesses unchecked. Could have been a true classic with some objective input and serious editing. Basically his greatness being held back by his weaknesses. On that album he's the Kojima of rap.

TBH Yeezus is the only album of his I love. 808s is kinda garbage, and I've tried hard to like it.

overcast

I just saw Kanye brehs. I was probably 6 or 7 people back. Unbelievable. The crowd was insane though; people pushing so hard girls were getting trampled essentially. Ya boi fought to pick em up and hold back the crowd. Got a lot better once the music started, surprisingly.

Blood on the Leaves live, wheww.

IrishNinja

congrats cast, sounds like it was a helluva show man

not gonna lie, i had to copy & paste the name cause i keep writing lakitu

I appreciate the value of that album but it's a mess. There are poignant and powerful moments for sure, but it's Kanye's over ambitiousness and excesses unchecked. Could have been a true classic with some objective input and serious editing. Basically his greatness being held back by his weaknesses. On that album he's the Kojima of rap.

fuck yes, Kojima of rap and that was his MGS4, this analogy speaks to me - i keep waiting for fans to see through it (the product itself, not what it symbolizes or could've been with some thought/restraint). i get thrown off when its called a classic cause there's other albums i think come close but too many pieces make them fall short, so seeing this mess get a pass on all its weaker parts feels like it cheapens the term.

and yeah 808s later grew on me, but loving only Yeezus is weird snuggles
still dont let return of get you down

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
All the love I had for you just went straight out the window so fucking fast
Okay, I appreciate the concept behind 808s and what the production attempted to do. It's got a few good tracks. But it was beyond Kanye's grasps as a performer. Not strictly against autotune but it's not enough to hide his grating ineptitude as a singer and lyrically it's puddle deep and boring. Just falls flat for me, I guess.

Yeezus was all his fury and talent condensed into a collection of short tracks on a short album. Dope production that played to his strengths. Out of his last few I believe it's the only real classic. Everytime I re-listen I only feel more sure of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom