• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca

el merked Lie,Cheat, Steal possibly one of the best verses of the year, if you aint feelin that.....
Yea, I like him on there. His first verse is great, but the rest of RTJ aint like that. 1 or 2. Killer Mike just absolutely murders him on every other verse.

Macca

I didn't fuck with the first RTJ either because of El-P, so don't listen to me.

If I could pick an instrumental of the year this would be it. Kanye aint here to save us from this.

HiResDes

I like the contrast between El-P's sometimes colder more unaffected sounding voice and Mike's tone, which seems to always be on the brink of emotion and teeters on a near southern roar. When the distinction works the song seems all the better for the dynamics between the two styles like on Angel Dust. It's like we're getting two different perspectives on the same narrative they eventually coincide as one.

Fjordson

I think Below The Heavens is in my top 5 of the past 10 years. Damn Blu.
Absolute classic. Made Blu one of my favourite MC's.

Just wish his career after wasn't so disappointing. His newest album ain't bad, but I dunno. It's not even that his music after BTH is awful (Her Favorite Colo(u)r is amazing) just doesn't seem like he's cared much post-BTH. Sporadic releases, shoddy sound quality on a lot of shit, etc.

HiResDes

90s kids, how many of ya'll liked this when you were little?

Sixth_man_poster.jpg

...I can't be the only one

B0ZyOPHIIAAqtYI.png:large

Coach Kanye serves his community service by coaching a high school football in the Chicago Projects leading them to a state championship.

in theaters Summer 2015

He should just film al pacino's halftime speech in any given sunday, give him the Oscar 2016

Anyways fnl the show>>any basketball movie or show

I was going to compare BTH to Cudi's first, which I also think is amazing, but BTH is like 2 years before it. It's crazy. He's west coast too right?
Yup. I remember when Kendrick was just some kid who opened up alongside other rappers for Blu. It's amazing how things change. I liked the Johnson&Jonson album and Her Favorite Color but also remember that period being rocky. He started sampling those slower, older records and being very mellow on the mic. Which wasn't bad but I wanted to hear him rip shit up again. Then he started releasing unfinished shit, missing shows, etc.

I still can't listen to Jesus. Some of the tracks I've heard are dope but it being so poor in sound quality was one of the final straws. I know it was mastered and re-released but I haven't listened. I'll give his new album a shot since I'm feeling good right now.

BTW this is the most excited for music I've been all year. I listened to a lot of stuff earlier this year but this Rase Kass album has me hyped, RTJ2 is crazy, I've been going over some thabiz music posts, Black Milk soon...I'm happy. Maybe that's why I liked the Diamond District album more on the second listen yesterday.

HiResDes

This is my favorite season and time of the year. I feel good as well. I'm really going to finish revising my script this year! And shit like this is coming out:

...Toku should be signed to Goth Money forreal.

codhand

BTW this is the most excited for music I've been all year. I listened to a lot of stuff earlier this year but this Rase Kass album has me hyped, RTJ2 is crazy, I've been going over some thabiz music posts, Black Milk soon...I'm happy. Maybe that's why I liked the Diamond District album more on the second listen yesterday.

i want to pull the trigger on the rasta kass LP but im still on the fence, i only heard a couple tracks

i'm with you though; rtj2, black milk, i'm good till next year on rap.

Fjordson

Yup. I remember when Kendrick was just some kid who opened up alongside other rappers for Blu. It's amazing how things change. I liked the Johnson&Jonson album and Her Favorite Color but also remember that period being rocky. He started sampling those slower, older records and being very mellow on the mic. Which wasn't bad but I wanted to hear him rip shit up again. Then he started releasing unfinished shit, missing shows, etc.

I still can't listen to Jesus. Some of the tracks I've heard are dope but it being so poor in sound quality was one of the final straws. I know it was mastered and re-released but I haven't listened. I'll give his new album a shot since I'm feeling good right now.
Jesus has some really dope tracks. And not all of them are horrible quality. Somehow. I don't know what Blu's weird ass process is with these random releases, but the quality level is somehow different on certain tracks.

His newest album is solid. A bit long with some random weak guest verses, but it's cool. Still not nearly as good as BTH or Give Me My Flowers.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This is my favorite season and time of the year. I feel good as well. I'm really going to finish revising my script this year! And shit like this is coming out:
][/URL]

...Toku should be signed to Goth Money forreal.
This is the best time of the year. Looking forward to the tracks/mixes to be released over the next week. Hoping for some dark shit. Got something in that vein to put out myself actually.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Fuck what ever ya'll talking about. RTJ2...lawd.

Oh my darling don't cry is straight bust a fucker in the face with a bottle music.
And then blockbuster music comes on and everybody dies.

Everybody dies.

Az

I will bench press 225 with midgets hanging on the sides after this.

RJD2 lawdyyyy

Edit: god damn face scrunched up, anus lips in this bitch .

Trey

Fuck what ever ya'll talking about. RTJ2...lawd.

Oh my darling don't cry is straight bust a fucker in the face with a bottle music.
And then blockbuster music comes on and everybody dies.

Everybody dies.

we're talking about rtj2 though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
El-P really teeters the line between completely bland and showing unrestrained lyrical mastery for me.

Like HRD mentioned above, it's good when he's contrasted against Killer Mike, but he can drown himself in beats sometimes. Part of that is just his delivery too, which isn't the most charismatic or inviting necessarily. Which is totally fine stylistically, but sometimes you come out of his raps not getting much out of the content necessarily and just appreciating flow switching and multis (textbook rappity rap problems).

This is part of the reason why I didn't really enjoy Cancer 4 Cure. I mean, I appreciate it, but his raps just get lost in the production even though he is spitting some lethal shit.

IrishNinja

Arent you used to formin opinions after reading wikipedia pages?

cotdamn

I'd say it, The Listening, and College Dropout influenced the rise of all this "conscious fuckery" music from Kendrick, Drake, Cole, etc.

Too bad Blu then proceeded to flush his career down a toilet. Dude had labels hanging from his balls. He could have signed or continued to build independently and be well positioned for the social media rise. Instead he smoked his brains out while releasing demo sound quality music.

i hear you here, but between this & your jay elec rants, gotta feel bad for you staffing your team with bums

If this was Killer Mike and Big Boi on this RTJ2 shit...

there'd be possibly even cornier punchlines?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm full. That was a good ass meal. RTJ1 sort of washed over like a wave of okaydom, but this is some hearty stew right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom