• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's a first listen, but I'm going to say Pinata is still better. I reserve the right to change my mind, but Harold's is just my jam.

codhand

Speaking of food I'm in the mood for some good sushi.

2497869-tumblr_mdft5mqtry1rkppw7o1_400.gif

HiResDes

RTJ2 over Shabazz and Pinata already for me. It's the most evocative record of the three for me, besides a few choice moments on Pinata.

Cheddahz

Banned
I still think So It Goes, Banco, and Pinata were better than Run The Jewels 2, but Run The Jewels 2 is definitely going to be in my top ten

codhand

remembered Hail Mary Mallon is coming in a couple weeks, which may crack the top five, but otherwise it seems like this will be mine

1) Pinata
2) RTJ2
3) Black Milk
4) Step Brothers
5) Has-Lo and Castle

some duo's making great albums this year, plus that Hus Kingpin and Rozewood

HiResDes

People are going to think I always conflate being evocative to being bombast, but that's not true. I don't hate Lese Majesty because it's subdued or subtle, but because it just feels a bit empty in places for me. Pinata is an incredibly well put together album, but it's almost too calculated and monolithic to me. In the past I made the mistake of saying it doesn't bang as much as 9mm or Kush Cloud, but I did my own stance a grave injustice by giving those limited examples. It doesn't have enough tracks like Broken, Thuggin or Uno...Gibbs isn't just flowing within the equilibrium of those tracks, but breaks out a bit. I think that's what makes him special.

Why don't I like Shabazz? Gonna have to listen again.

It's worth giving it a couple of listens just because of how different it is, but I don't think the end result will even land it a spot in my top ten. Pinata is almost a masterpiece for me, but there were just a few pieces of the puzzle missing for me.

i hear you here, but between this & your jay elec rants, gotta feel bad for you staffing your team with bums

I haven't ranted about Jay Elec in years! There's so much dope music out right now as compared to 2008-2010 when I spent most of my time hand wringing about the absence of Blu or Act II while hating on ring tone rap. We're in a Gold-ish Age breh, shit is nice.

codhand

not to be cliche but Pinata is grown-man-rap, that's why i like it so much.

With Madlib you hear all his musical influences in every beat, with Gibbs you can visualize his life with every verse

someone like Banco can't write a song like Deeper, because he lacks the life experience of Gibbs, Pinata the goat this year

Sounds awesome, but in reality I was playing ESPN NFL Football during that time lol.

Nah I mean like in 2014 we were doing that shit.

And Killer Mike has been on some good shit since R.A.P. Music. I don't think I've heard a shit verse from him since that album dropped.

HiResDes

not to be cliche but Pinata is grown-man-rap, that's why i like it so much.

With Madlib you hear all his musical influences in every beat, with Gibbs you can visualize his life with every verse

someone like Banco can't write a song like Deeper, because he lacks the life experience of Gibbs, Pinata the goat this year

Comparing Pinata to Banco is kind of a moot. You wouldn't compare Half-Baked to Blow or Evil Dead to Nosferatu. Just like you wouldn't be as likely to throw on Pinata during a House Party as you would Banco. Banco's weaknesses are weaknesses of the spectrum in which he's working, the subgenre if you will, more so than the album itself. It has a few lows, but Pinata has some songs that are lows as well IMO. It's just that when Sir Michael fails he does so emphatically and Gibb's lowpoints on Pinata result in boring mediocre tracks that because of the brevity, subject matter, and production could be described as "slow burners". Madlib's production even makes some of the shallow songs in Pinata seem deeper. I'm a huge fan of Gibbs, but not every track on Pinata is as mature and insightful as people would have you believe. And that's fine. Banco isn't deep or insightful, but it wasn't intended to be, it's more casual and fun. They're like examples of two very different subgenres.

codhand

Just talking strictly about what i want in an album of the year situation, the two projects are very different for sure

Agree about rtj too, gangsta boo's verse is maybe too "evocotive" haha

Also which nosferatu des? Herzog or Murnau?

Esch

Banned
Btw I hope y'all remember what happened the first time RTJ dropped. Everyone was hype the first day, then the songs started blending together and people mostly realized it was a pretty one - track album conceptually/lyrically.

Btw I hope y'all remember what happened the first time RTJ dropped. Everyone was hype the first day, then the songs started blending together and people mostly realized it was a pretty one - track album conceptually/lyrically.

Yup. This one easily wins in part because it's so sonically diverse.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

I got burned out on it pretty fast. Not in a big rush to listen to the sequel despite all the praise.

Cilvia has slowly crawled at to the top of my list, might top it depending on how the rest of the year goes.

Cheddahz

Banned

I think that's why I'm enjoying Run The Jewels 2 a whole lot more. Every song just sounds different from each other

Comparing Pinata to Banco is kind of a moot. You wouldn't compare Half-Baked to Blow or Evil Dead to Nosferatu. Just like you wouldn't be as likely to throw on Pinata during a House Party as you would Banco. Banco's weaknesses are weaknesses of the spectrum in which he's working, the subgenre if you will, more so than the album itself. It has a few lows, but Pinata has some songs that are lows as well IMO. It's just that when Sir Michael fails he does so emphatically and Gibb's lowpoints on Pinata result in boring mediocre tracks that because of the brevity, subject matter, and production could be described as "slow burners". Madlib's production even makes some of the shallow songs in Pinata seem deeper. I'm a huge fan of Gibbs, but not every track on Pinata is as mature and insightful as people would have you believe. And that's fine. Banco isn't deep or insightful, but it wasn't intended to be, it's more casual and fun. They're like examples of two very different subgenres.
truth.

Fjordson

Yeah, I got a little bored of it after a week or two. Solid record, but no staying power for me.

RTJ 2 has more variety I think though, so we'll see.

Tokubetsu

Yeah, I got a little bored of it after a week or two. Solid record, but no staying power for me.

RTJ 2 has more variety I think though, so we'll see.

Definitely think it's more varied. Part of that I think, and why I didn't like the first much, is Killer Mike shines/stands out a lot more here. Crown and Early in particular sound more like Killer Mike songs at least conceptually/lyrically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom