• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
wat? This explains a lot btw.

Cacophony made a bet kendrick wouldn't push 100k first week for Gkmc, said he'd eat a CD if it happened. not only did he not eat the CD he didn't buy it. I think we all would have been happy had he eaten the booklet without staples (it's just paper, you shit it out), but nah.

Courage

Cacophony made a bet kendrick wouldn't push 100k first week for Gkmc, said he'd eat a CD if it happened. not only did he not eat the CD he didn't buy it. I think we all would have been happy had he eaten the booklet without staples (it's just paper, you shit it out), but nah.

Oh, so he didn't eat it? Disappointing.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Not only that but he took a hike from GAF for like a year or some shit lmao

I still want to hunt down the U-God guy. That was a moment in GAF-Hop, where the limits of stannery were tested.

cacophony

i bought it you liar

i left gaf cause i got banned for bullshit so i just stopped posting

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
U-God stan was probably top 3 moment for me. Dude was hilariously stanluded and the way the entire thread just came down on him with Ace leading the way...beautiful.

Esch

Banned
i don't remember you buying it caco, all i remember is the bet welshing and then blackace scaring you away
zIESfoh.png
kendrick deserved the sale tho so daps

as for the u-god thing, i read it back a while ago and it wasn't THAT funny, more bizarre and totally out of the blue, pretty funny how ace maneuvered him into a ban though. That guy's about as crazy as any person with a Wu-Tang Corp account or IrishNinja.

What I DO remember is ace changing PD's name to PhoenixPause for an entire year lmao

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Didn't Recon get banned for quite a while, get off his ban, and the first thing he did was basically tell Blackace to fuck off and he got banned again? I remember some fuckery of that nature before he cooled off a bit lmao

siddx

i don't remember you buying it caco, all i remember is the bet welshing and then blackace scaring you away
zIESfoh.png
kendrick deserved the sale tho so daps

as for the u-god thing, i read it back a while ago and it wasn't THAT funny, more bizarre and totally out of the blue, pretty funny how ace maneuvered him into a ban though. That guy's about as crazy as any person with a Wu-Tang Corp account or IrishNinja.

What I DO remember is ace changing PD's name to PhoenixPause for an entire year lmao

hahaha I felt slightly bad about that since I came up with PhoenixPause (if my old ass memory serves me right)

this new black milk
whew.png

is older shit on this level?

Tronic and No Poison No Paradise are on this level. Great, great albums IMO. I played the hell out of Tronic especially. Sound of The City and Popular Demand are a tier or two lower. Album of The Year is a bit of a misstep, not bad but just messy.

Fjordson

this new black milk
whew.png

is older shit on this level?
Tronic is worth listening to. Tronic is where he started really picking up for me.

No Poison No Paradise is dope also, but that's not really old (but peep that asap if you haven't heard it).

Edit: beaten by Net_Wrecker. What he said.

Esch

Banned
Didn't Recon get banned for quite a while, get off his ban, and the first thing he did was basically tell Blackace to fuck off and he got banned again? I remember some fuckery of that nature before he cooled off a bit lmao

1. He went to jail
  2. told blackace to fuck himself multiple times
  3. often retold stories of his dates under the influence of some blow
  4. stanning for J. Cole harder than i've ever seen in my life
  5. getting trolled wrt: lupe fiasco for multiple topics
  6. declared e-war on kamspy, then the rap battle
  7. had an alt called Clayton Bigsby that he didnt hide at all

aqDwC.png

Tokubetsu

Recon basically doubled down on his crazy and mistakes. He came back crazier and worse everytime. Like shitty horror movie sequels.

I do remember after one ban though, I think this was when he started dating some girl, where he was kinda sane and reasonable but it only last like two weeks but then he got arrested or some shit. Then never came back from it.

siddx

Yeah tronic is probably my favorite solo.

Caltroit is what introduced me to black milk though and has that "is detox coming soon?" vibe that makes it really enjoyable to me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
  1. He went to jail
  2. told blackace to fuck himself multiple times
  3. often retold stories of his dates under the influence of some blow
  4. stanning for J. Cole harder than i've ever seen in my life
  5. getting trolled wrt: lupe fiasco for multiple topics
  6. declared e-war on kamspy, then the rap battle
  7. had an alt called Clayton Bigsby that he didnt hide at all

aqDwC.png
Wow, how did I miss this?! That dude was active for a minute too.

Yeah that kams/Recon beef a top 3 GAF-Hop moment alongside U-Goddamnwrong.

Recon basically doubled down on his crazy and mistakes. He came back crazier and worse everytime. Like shitty horror movie sequels.

I do remember after one ban though, I think this was when he started dating some girl, where he was kinda sane and reasonable but it only last like two weeks but then he got arrested or some shit. Then never came back from it.
This is pretty accurate, including the calm phase. I remember his tastes in music changed pretty dramatically then too, away from a lot of the backpacker stuff.

Yeah tronic is probably my favorite solo.

Caltroit is what introduced me to black milk though and has that "is detox coming soon?" vibe that makes it really enjoyable to me.
I'm not even sure reall what this means but this is a pretty accurate description of Caltroit. That was my first Black Milk project too.

Esch

Banned
Almost feel like we shouldn't joke about it. In retrospect, man was legit bipolar or something; in and out of jail, drug abusing behavior, straight up crazy posting on these boards. I hope he's doing alright these days/alive.

siddx

I got nothing but love for Recon. I have a verse on his album and everything. He definitely could come in a little aggro at times but still liked the dude.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
One time for PD having post of the year. Seriously, I'm rereading the shit and still cracking up.

Almost feel like we shouldn't joke about it. In retrospect, man was legit bipolar or something; in and out of jail, drug abusing behavior, straight up crazy posting on these boards. I hope he's doing alright these days/alive.
Wished him well multiple times before and I would do so again. We all knew he was going through some shit and hopefully he's in a better place. Same with kams, though I think kams has posted a bit about being much better off than before.

I'm curious, hiphopGAF. What's everyone's overall opinions about Childish Gambino? I want to hear your opinion.

Music for emotional children that haven't really done anything in their lives except cry about how that one hot Asian girl is a bitch when in reality that they don't have the balls to talk to her.

You really don't. He's not well liked around here.

Except for that one guy who is obsessed with him qnd has him as his avatar. Even has a Gambino tattoo

I think I know who you're talking about. lol
Didn't know he had a tattoo though.

Still--I just want to know everyone's perception of him because he seems like a debatable topic on here amongst members whenever I see his name get brought up in random topics.

I'll admit, I wasn't crazy about him but I personally found his Because The Internet project to be interesting as a concept. Didn't like the STN MTN side of his latest project that much but Kauai had some pretty good songs. I liked Pop Thieves.

That's another thing, among my circle of homies, many see him more as a singer than a rapper. What do you guys think?

siddx

Gambino is a talented guy who makes 85% terrible music.
But he manages to get a few good songs out there once in a while.
It's rap music for white people who are afraid of minorities in real life, and use terms like gender neutral in casual conversation at least 80 times a day.

overcast

One time for PD having post of the year. Seriously, I'm rereading the shit and still cracking up.
Yeah, wow. Gold.
I'm curious, hiphopGAF. What's everyone's overall opinions about Childish Gambino? I want to hear your opinion.
He's okay. I like BTI, but I think it's going to be all downhill. He should have gotten better after that, but his new tape.. Yeesh.
Except for that one guy who is obsessed with him qnd has him as his avatar. Even has a Gambino tattoo
Yup, Macca is an enormous fan.
Music for emotional children that haven't really done anything in their lives except cry about how that one hot Asian girl is a bitch when in reality that they don't have the balls to talk to her.
Lmao.

Being honest, the only thing I've ever heard of Gambino was like half of some song and in the video he was on like a Ferris wheel with a bear or something.

I have no opinion on him

He's got corny punchlines here and there but he does have some pretty good wordplay sometimes where it counts. I think that's what people expect of him, and he knows that. He comes off as a bit of a try-hard to be completely honest on some tracks but I think that's just his thing. It's supposed to be surprising I think. I'm probably wrong.

I like more of his singing songs than his rap songs so if that's your thing you might like "telegraph ave" or "sober". Some of the few tracks I really like from him. Candler Road was ok as a rap song and Yaphet Kotto to an extent. I'm pretty enveloped into the hip hop culture so i'm not one of those "I just listen to Childish but I don't like hip hop" kind of dudes. lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gambino is an artist who potentially has a lot to say, is probably a pretty swell guy, and has a lot of eyes on him, but he can't express it right. His style is highly derivative and you can see the seams with nothing attached that feels unique despite him having a sort of unique personality. Listening to his music makes you feel like you'd rather listen to the 2-4 major influences of his instead, even Wayne. This is even weirder because I'm pretty sure his entire demographic grew up on Wayne, Ye, Drake, etc. Lyrically he can be cringeworthy, I've caught him biting punchlines from battle rap at times and he sounds unnatural when he starts spazzing on beats. He's a far more talented producer (in both the musical and presentation sense), singer and marketing genius than he is a rapper. Sometimes I feel he is a genuine guy who is just putting his thoughts out there, other times I feel it's very calculated including the comments about him wanting to be white. Sometimes I feel like his music and persona ends up feeling like a caricature of my generation or KTT-bait.

Ultimately, I'm not sure he's made a good case for why anyone should care or why he deserves a spot in the game. And considering as far as he's gotten in the game, that's a bit puzzling. Why should I listen to his Drake, Wayne, and/or Kanye impressions?

Gambino just doesn't make worthwhile music, that's the beginning and ending of it for me.

I got over Ross being a phony pretty quick cause he has one of the best ears right now and has gotten better at putting together a verse.

Gambino is an artist who potentially has a lot to say, is probably a pretty swell guy, and has a lot of eyes on him, but he can't express it right. His style is highly derivative and you can see the seams with nothing attached that feels unique despite him having a sort of unique personality. Listening to his music makes you feel like you'd rather listen to the 2-4 major influences of his instead, even Wayne. This is even weirder because I'm pretty sure his entire demographic grew up on Wayne, Ye, Drake, etc. Lyrically he can be cringeworthy, I've caught him biting punchlines from battle rap at times and he sounds unnatural when he starts spazzing on beats. He's a far more talented producer (in both the musical and presentation sense), singer and marketing genius than he is a rapper. Sometimes I feel he is a genuine guy who is just putting his thoughts out there, other times I feel it's very calculated including the comments about him wanting to be white. Sometimes I feel like his music and persona ends up feeling like a caricature of my generation or KTT-bait.

Ultimately, I'm not sure he's made a good case for why anyone should care or why he deserves a spot in the game. And considering as far as he's gotten in the game, that's a bit puzzling. Why should I listen to his Drake, Wayne, and/or Kanye impressions?

Interesting perspective. Thanks.

siddx

I always saw that as being influenced by the fact he is a comedian and an actor first, so his natural default is to do imitations of other artists. Like a comedian or actor would.
So he's doing Kanye, Drake, and Lil Wayne imitations. Like a comedian on stage doing a Christopher Walken imitation or an actor pretending to be someone else.

I do think he's gotten better about it recently, and is sloooooowly finding his own little niche.
He's still diet rapper though, made for people who are afraid of rap music.

overcast

Wayne comparisons are overstated and he's Kanye inspired, but far from a rip off. He's probably more like Drake, but that's just him being pop focused sometimes.

Telegraph Ave is a really good song that I feel I shouldn't like.

siddx

Wayne comparisons are overstated and he's Kanye inspired, but far from a rip off. He's probably more like Drake, but that's just him being pop focused sometimes.

Telegraph Ave is a really good song that I feel I shouldn't like.

His EP ep is straight Lil Wayne.
CAMP feels very Kanye in style.
Since then he has much more of a Drake sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom