• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

this kenderick fellow looks homeless
He tryna outdo Gambino

fXRGH6E.jpg

What the fuck

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser

Yeah, I'm not really feeling Black Milk's new album.
I've always thought his basslines just plain suck but this album in particular it is bugging me more than usual. Everything just sounds too sharp and harsh.
But it took me a while to appreciate Tronic, so I'll keep listening.

Doesn't help that both the Quik album and RTJ2 are competing for attention (and winning).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
First listen of Tronic. It's alright. Production is great, but he's sort of flat on the mic. I feel like I listened to a good record, but I can't really tell you anything about Milk, can't recall a single hot line or bit of wordplay that made me want to find the non-existent rewind button.

I'm going to give it the ole "listen with drink in hand" test later. First impressions aren't as hot as I was lead to believe though. Kinda disappointed.

First listen of Tronic. It's alright. Production is great, but he's sort of flat on the mic. I feel like I listened to a good record, but I can't really tell you anything about Milk, can't recall a single hot line or bit of wordplay that made me want to find the non-existent rewind button.

I'm going to give it the ole "listen with drink in hand" test later. First impressions aren't as hot as I was lead to believe though. Kinda disappointed.

He's not that kind of artist. The best thing I can say about Black Milk as a rapper is that he rides the beats well enough that he doesn't get in the way. He's improved since Tronic but quotable lines aren't exactly why you listen to his projects.

WanderingWind

He's not that kind of artist. The best thing I can say about Black Milk as a rapper is that he rides the beats well enough that he doesn't get in the way. He's improved since Tronic but quotable lines aren't exactly why you listen to his projects.

Again, this is my first impression, but so far I agree. So...why do you listen to his projects then? Running with the food analogy I'm fond of, this is like I ate a good meal, felt pretty good afterward, but an hour later I'm like "Shit, did I eat today?Oh yeah, no I did."

So...why do you listen to his projects then?

It's pretty simple for me: It sounds good. Hard drums, synths, and dipping in and out of electronica/jazz/samples. And even though he's not a top tier MC, he rides the beats well, like I mentioned before, finding pockets in the production to bring out the bounce in the track. Just works for me.

WanderingWind

I'm trying to figure out what happened in 2008, and I see it. Atmosphere's When Life Gives you Lemons, Nappy Roots, Q-Tip, TCIII, Rising Down, LAX (shaddup) and Murs kept me busy that year.

That was a pretty decent year. Oh, and 808s was a thing.

Kendrick's next single is gonna be called 'King Kunta' produced by Sounwave & Thundercat

Still skeptical tho

actually nah I am excite

This weekend I went to visit Pharrell in the studio and got to hear @kendricklamar new music...
scott vener @brokemogul · 10h 10 hours ago
I walked into the studio to P and found myself in a room with 12 people listening to P x KDot sketching an idea for a song
When they were done. K broke out his lap top and played a song that fucked me up for real
took me back to a place that i loved so much about hip hop.
Literally was watching Kendrick perform his song in front of us and as my girlfriend said. It gave her chills.
This dude is on some other shit
This song took me all the way back to 90s hip hop and back and gave me a tour of the cultural fabric of LA like never before
During the song, Pharrells engineer whispered to me “Dre had to produce this. This has to be Dre"
It had these dusty drums with an updated sound
hard hitting bass lines
It felt like the song took a different turn every 4 bars
Once that happen u didn’t know what to expect.
After @Pharrell heard it. The first thing he said “that song is so unapologetically black and AMAZING” #KingKunta
After @Pharrell heard it, he said “those chord changes though. I can’t wait for @QtipTheAbstract to hear this” #KingKunta

Kenny might be on something

Nas "The Season" Prod. by J Dilla (Snippet) at the RTJ Fan Appreciation event
It's the Gobstopper track off Donuts

Nas and Kendrick coming with the hotness I can't guys i can't

Y4WQ1Ze.gif

Nas over horns and drums, can't go wrong. I'm assuming that's just a hype track, not a single.

Sounds like that Kendrick song is dope although I doubt it's really Dre on the boards. Doesn't say it's a single though. More Thundercat...yes pls. One thing you can't dislike about "i" is the bass. GKMC had some nice basslines (Sherane especially), I'd love to hear more in that vein on the next album.

codhand

WW; let the record show i voted you skip Tronic, unless you're some kind of hip-hop Herodotus / masochist type. just play his last two LPs.

Koozek

Yeah, as much as I like him, I rather have him not rap, too :/ He's a dope producer, though.

Pathos

Banned
Excited for the new track from kendrick. The Nas song is also good.
What's wrong with the Dilla beat tho? has it been used before?

Esch

Banned
Excited for the new track from kendrick. The Nas song is also good.
What's wrong with the Dilla beat tho? has it been used before?
I can't remember exactly where I heard it before. Donuts maybe? A Busta track?

Either way I'm tired of that shit, it had already lost the appeal on CL2. Brehs really rapping on old beats to put on their albums. Nah.

I can't remember exactly where I heard it before. Donuts maybe? A Busta track?

Either way I'm tired of that shit, it had already lost the appeal on CL2. Brehs really rapping on old beats to put on their albums. Nah.

That track won't be on Nas' album.

It's Gobstopper from Donuts. Shit is dope, probably just a nod to the underground given what Nas said during the RTJ event. Now that he's met el-p I hope they work together. I'd love to hear el-p's take on 90s NY rap, similar to how R.A.P. Music is his take on southern stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom