• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gonna put on my crown of dust here and blame the internet.

Back in the day to get put on you had to (No Limit being the exception) show and prove. People had to vet your demos. You had to win battles and shit. You had to put work in, improve your craft, take yourself at least a little seriously.

Now you can just fart on a track, it'll get remixed by some wastecadet on soundcloud, and people will spread it around like it's hot. I blame soulja boy.
It's still a gift and a curse. I think it's more of a gift for the variety and breadth alone, with the additional plus that you don't need gatekeepers to get out there, but the gatekeepers are what will help you achieve some consistency.

And.. we're all listening to these mind numbing bangers too. Or maybe you don't fuck with this singy songy trap star but not this other one. I can't even imagine what the next big trend in hip-hop will be, shit just might evolve into songs being half R&B.

Quality control is this generation's biggest hurdle IMO. If your second single is okay, you might just lose half your following. The other hurdle is competition. Maybe before people had to fight to sneak in the studio to get put on by some Ruff Ryder, but now you've got to compete with the new sensation of the month.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Plus you used to have a very specific hierarchy, I guess you could call it. You had the star who people paid to see, his mentee/second in command, and the group. You knew the star would go platinum, the mentee might go gold, the group would only do numbers off the back of the star and as solo artists nobody would ever give a flying fuck. The star gave them some pocket change and they never tried to be more than their $1.34 ass was worth.

Now you have dudes who wouldn't even make it as weed carrier of the group putting out an endless shitstream of songs because they don't have to go through a Jay Z, Nas, Busta, 2pac, Biggie and so on.

It's still a gift and a curse. I think it's more of a gift for the variety and breadth alone, with the additional plus that you don't need gatekeepers to get out there, but the gatekeepers are what will help you achieve some consistency.

And.. we're all listening to these mind numbing bangers too. Or maybe you don't fuck with this singy songy trap star but not this other one. I can't even imagine what the next big trend in hip-hop will be, shit just might evolve into songs being half R&B.

Quality control is this generation's biggest hurdle IMO. If your second single is okay, you might just lose half your following. The other hurdle is competition. Maybe before people had to fight to sneak in the studio to get put on by some Ruff Ryder, but now you've got to compete with the new sensation of the month.

Hip hop's been looking to go in a melodic direction. Might see more R&B acts posing as rappers / rappers sing songing tracks.

Tokubetsu

I mena lets look at Bobby Shmurda. I hate to call shit early but it is very likely he will be forgotten this time next year. OG Maco, because of his status as a bit "underground" might eek out a path in th niche but thats it.

A bit like Enzo is saying, if you're an emergiing artist, the worst thing you could do right now is have a breakout hit single. It will kill your career before you even get going. You'll always be compared to it and never live up to it.

If T.I. dropped now he'd probably disappear after 24s. That'd be all we hear ouside of some flop singles before the label dropped him.

siddx

I mena lets look at Bobby Shmurda. I hate to call shit early but it is very likely he will be forgotten this time next year. OG Maco, because of his status as a bit "underground" might eek out a path in th niche but thats it.

A bit like Enzo is saying, if you're an emergiing artist, the worst thing you could do right now is have a breakout hit single. It will kill your career before you even get going. You'll always be compared to it and never live up to it.

If T.I. dropped now he'd probably disappear after 24s. That'd be all we hear ouside of some flop singles before the label dropped him.

Almost did happen to T.I. if I remember correctly. He had some hype, dropped I'm Serious and the title track as a single, it got a little attention, but no follow up singles. T.I. faded off and had to switch labels and wait two years before getting another chance.

cacophony

My conclusion on rap music today: It's no longer about the message, the lyrics, or creative music production. Kids just want a song that bumps hard as fuck in their 2003 Honda Civic hatchbacks. Wouldn't call this "music", just something to go hard to if you're into this sort of thing.
INB4 someone replies saying "Bitch you guessed it"

Tokubetsu

My conclusion on rap music today: It's no longer about the message, the lyrics, or creative music production. Kids just want a song that bumps hard as fuck in their 2003 Honda Civic hatchbacks. Wouldn't call this "music", just something to go hard to if you're into this sort of thing.

“On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.”

"On a long engouhg time line, music becomes about the abstract vibrations and the lyrics drop to zero."

Esch

Banned

Sure I agree with you. I think we can also add on to that there may have a bigger socioeconomic / money barrier in the way back then for most people's too. I'd imagine recording a demo and getting decent sound on it was probably tougher. Production is pretty cheap to come by relatively (sample clearances aside) and uploading something to sound cloud takes a lot less money than whipping up a few hundred demo tapes.

Thank god for boosie

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think part of this is that the people who are holding down the fort for "lyricism" also are failing to bring new perspectives to the table, or the people who can bring fresh perspectives are being held back in some form or another.

Nowadays I feel like I can go another 5 years without hearing another song about someone's hardships coming up in the game.

featuring iggy azalea
Iggy is probably the most interesting cat to watch in the game right now, TBH.

I have no idea where it's going to go for her. She's seemingly overcome being a one hit wonder (don't want to be too early to say this either) and is only gaining momentum, but at the same time the stan (and I guess race) wars are too real. People are itching to get at her for anything she does (or has done in the past like the racist/homophobic tweets) yet it's all being swept under the table in the public eye and the power of the white market and ClearChannel is very strong. I have no idea if she'll be here next year. It's Macklemore once over again, but this time with sex appeal and the offensive stuff happened before the blow up.

Esch

Banned
She wont.

You need at least a little content in your music to last more than a year. And some style.

At some point her boring kangaroo jack 'controversy' will tap out and she'll be replaced. At best she can dream for a Future type career where your relevance slowly bleeds out and newer people start getting picked for the same song roles you used to get calls for. That's it tho.

big ander

and you need to not be a charisma vacuum. If she seemed like she at all had a personality outside of music I could see her hanging on, but she doesn't.

edit: fetti's becoming undeniable. this song

ibudbnKoBDa4y6.gif

Made a thread

siddx

I'm pretty sure iggy azalea is activated from long range remote control whenever it's time to start "rapping" and at all other times she is placed in sleep mode to avoid running down the batteries. Charisma Vacuum is pretty damn accurate, I feel like I'm watching a botched lobotomy victim give an interview whenever she talks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wow, I could have swore Mt Olympus was on the album, wtf

Guess it's time to download that.

She wont.

You need at least a little content in your music to last more than a year. And some style.

At some point her boring kangaroo jack 'controversy' will tap out and she'll be replaced. At best she can dream for a Future type career where your relevance slowly bleeds out and newer people start getting picked for the same song roles you used to get calls for. That's it tho.
I don't know, most equivalent artists would have fizzled by now, or all failed to reach those heights or get songs with that magnitude (White Girl Mob, Snow, Justina Valentine, etc.). Eyes are still on her even though she debuted a new single on goddamn TV, and everyone forgot because she got accused of lip synching. That's a feat. Or a whooty, I guess.

I don't think content is anything more complex/diverse than it needs to be to hold a position like that of a pop princess. All simple concepts an airheaded teenager can find personal significance in. I'm not sure if "new year, new bitch" applies here, cause Nicki has been falling off too.

Wow, I could have swore Mt Olympus was on the album, wtf

Guess it's time to download that.

I don't know, most equivalent artists would have fizzled by now, or all failed to reach those heights or get songs with that magnitude (White Girl Mob, Snow, Justina Valentine, etc.). Eyes are still on her even though she debuted a new single on goddamn TV, and everyone forgot because she got accused of lip synching. That's a feat. Or a whooty, I guess.

I don't think content is anything more complex/diverse than it needs to be to hold a position like that of a pop princess. All simple concepts an airheaded teenager can find personal significance in.

It's on the Deluxe Edition.

She wont.

I mean she's like a female Putbull in my eyes. So I feel like she won't go away if her recent singles are anything to go by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom