• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooooose

Habits & Contradictions is still pretty dope. I think a big thing was TDE paved the way for indie rappers to blow and now there are a lot of more indie rappers, who make those dudes seem less interesting. They also put less music out and/or take real risks. The most interesting thing they do is remix pop records.

Q is ok tho. I still think he's dope and Break the Bank is one of my favorite songs of the year.

edit - I hate Kendrick's interview personality. The soft spoken humble smart dude. It's such a Dre/Eminem mimic and it makes him feel like a "star". His interviews are so fucking boring. Compare the Hot 97 interview to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIkzSApvQvE

Where he actually answered questions, and spoke like a normal person would. Fuck that demeanor.

My favorite subtle turn of gaf hop was Q. I was the opps in here when that shit was coming out but now I don't see any oxymoron avatars anymore. No speculation on upcoming projects.

Nothing wrong with Oxymoron. Just wasn't what we had all hoped for. Still fuck with Q.
These Days on the other hand...what the actual fuck

break da bank and man of the year are some of the best tracks of the year for sure.

i don't remember these days but the song with the guitar loop (i think it was the title track??) was actually pretty decent.

You Smart, You Loyal, You A Genius..
kttcolidead

yo forreal i feel so bad for that girl. look into her eyes in here. you know she's not walking away with much of that money and she has to do this. this video got me in drake mode right now "you don't have to do this..."

Esch

Banned
tottenham spurs. esch plz. not like this.
I'd probably give you dap if you were a spurs fan. Takes loyalty, dedication. Instead you just dickride the most successful teams out. Even national ones.

vzOriTo.png

Habits & Contradictions is still pretty dope. I think a big thing was TDE paved the way for indie rappers to blow

An ambitious claim I don't think is supported. Even if we were just going by modern examples you'd have say ASAP rocky, the 90's you could cite No Limit and Roc A Fella, etc.

TDE is cool but they aren't really trendsetters like that.

i been a germany fan since i was 8, i didn't just start rooting for them during the last euro and world cup. so naturally i moved onto bayern munich because of the bleedover in players.

you got me on chelsea tho....

mooooose

An ambitious claim I don't think is supported. Even if we were just going by modern examples you'd have say ASAP rocky, the 90's you could cite No Limit and Roc A Fella, etc.

TDE is cool but they aren't really trendsetters like that.

Then it was this current crop. TDE blew faster than Rocky and I consider Rocky and TDE in the same wave. People are down on him the same way they are Kendrick, for the most part, tho people liked his new single more than i.

Esch

Banned
Then it was this current crop. TDE blew faster than Rocky and I consider Rocky and TDE in the same wave. People are down on him the same way they are Kendrick, for the most part, tho people liked his new single more than i.
Faster? What metric are we going by tbh. ASAP dropped LLA in 2011 and he was everywhere. I was in the south at the time and I heard purple swag and peso at every house party. In 2011, Kenneth had some dap off section 80 but it was still definitely not really reaching the real world. Swimming Pools, Buried Alive, and Fucking Problems were a big booster for Kenneth imo. And that tour Drake took him on.

mooooose

Faster? What metric are we going by tbh. ASAP dropped LLA in 2011 and he was everywhere. I was in the south at the time and I heard purple swag and peso at every house party. In 2011, Kenneth had some dap off section 80 but it was still definitely not really reaching the real world. Swimming Pools, Buried Alive, and Fucking Problems were a big booster for Kenneth imo. And that tour Drake took him on.
Arguing semantics

overcast

Yall take it too seriously. One okay album isn't the end of Q, still hyped as hell for whatever he has next. Soul on the other hand has completely shit the bed. I was thinking today that they need to be on more guest spots, but whatever (no more soul spots) Or drop some one off songs to keep people listening, but they're not super well managed.

Kendrick has a bad interview voice/demeanor? Who cares?

It's worth noting ASAP's hype and rise were really inflated. The mixtape was really popular online* but ASAP didn't really have a fanbase, especially when compared to what Drake/Kendrick/Cole did with their mixtape runs. ASAP got hot, got the standard "x signed for $$$ record label deal!" hype/misinformation, and the rest is history. Dude had to have every hot rapper on his single for it to do well, and even then the album didn't sell well.

Compare that to Kendrick who was doing pretty big tour numbers off OD before Section 80 dropped, and was nearly as big as Cole at the time. I think people have forgotten what that mixtape "era" was like, especially in light of today's mixtape culture which hasn't really produced a rapper on the (popularity) level as those three. Rocky was the critical darling but was never as big as Cole or Kendrick - and certainly not Drake.

*I seem to remember Esch, myself, and others pointing out most of ASAP's fans were online frauds a few years ago.

• The album will definitely be out by next summer.

Hey, i'd rather he takes his time to create something great instead of rushing to put something out for the sake of putting something out. This culture is guilty of forcing artists to constantly put out material to please fans when people, in my opinion, should learn patience. Great records come out organically. I'm sure Kdot knows what he's doing. He's just taking his time so his record is 100% when he envisioned. That's the mark of a true artist.

Courage

His ambition and vision is probably genuine, but it comes off contrived at times. It's like, chill dude. He looks so set on CHANGING THE INDUSTRY AS WE KNOW it with AGGROEMOTION. It's literally all he talks about when someone mentions his new album. We get you're at top, but all it takes is one album to make you somewhat irrelevant again.

I was more interested to hear about the tracks themselves than the grand message and all the other abstractions he babbled about. He didn't even talk about King Kunta.

His ambition and vision is probably genuine, but it comes off contrived at times. It's like, chill dude. He looks so set on CHANGING THE INDUSTRY AS WE KNOW it with AGGROEMOTION. It's literally all he talks about when someone mentions his new album. We get you're at top, but all it takes is one album to make you somewhat irrelevant again.

I was more interested to hear about the tracks themselves than the grand message and all the other abstractions he babbled about. He didn't even talk about King Kunta.

I think it's the pressure. He put himself in a position where people expect him to be near flawless in his music which makes him more reclusive. He probably doesn't want expectations to be high due to the possibility of not being able to outdo GKMC so he's possibly holding back.

If this were the case, i'd understand his position as an artist. It's tough I bet. I couldn't imagine the pressure to live up to being an artist of his calibre in this day and age because, like you said, one album can either make it or break it for him. Especially after that "King of NY" incident.

LLA didn't sell well? 300k+ copies to date is pretty fuckin good for any but the biggest, most loved rappers.

He sold less than Schoolboy Q with a 2-3x higher budget. I'd call that a failure given the hype involved. Which goes back to him not really having a fanbase of note.

Esch

Banned
esch. whats the verdict on the new civ?

Hard to say.

I keep unconsciously (unfairly) comparing it to BNW. But BNW is the result of 2 expansions, tons of DLC, and lots of systems refinement. Beyond Earth takes a lot from Civ V, the culture aspect is pretty similar to base Civ V and the combat is very similar with a few exceptions (i would say improvements). The focus here is split. It's not just you vs the other civs. It's you versus the world you're on. There's how you deal with the miasma, the aliens, and which of the three civ 'paths' you take. You can choose to blend with the planet, remake it in man's image, or embrace a human/technology hybrid future. Or you can win on points, or by signaling sentient aliens (this is like the science victory).

There are pros and cons. For example espionage and the unit upgrade system are infinitely cooler and more interesting (if in need of some balance, espionage esp). On the other hand, i feel like the Civs generally lack a 'unique' feel. They have no unique units, and their unique abilities feel cursory or not that impactful. So I don't really feel the need to try playing as every civ.

I would say wait on this one. Get it on sale, and wait to see what they do with the expansions because I think the game is promising but needs some work with respect to making civs, wonders, etc more interesting.

He sold less than Schoolboy Q with a 2-3x higher budget. I'd call that a failure given the hype involved. Which goes back to him not really having a fanbase of note.

lmao @ the budget estimations.

Can you hear that? it's the sound of goalposts being moved.

lmao @ the budget estimations.

Can you hear that? it's the sound of goalposts being moved.

How is it a goalpost being moved?

ASAP had Drake, 2Chainz (during his popular phase), and Kendrick on his single breh; he also has multiple signed artists on a song that isn't even a single (1Train). He signed a 3mil record deal, which basically=his budget. I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest the album was a lot more expensive than Oxymoron which was basically an undershipped Interscope afterthought. If that's not fair than I don't know what is lol.

He was supposed to be Cole/Kendrick level and couldn't outsell Kendrick's hype man...

Tokubetsu

How is it a goalpost being moved?

ASAP had Drake, 2Chainz (during his popular phase), and Kendrick on his single breh; he also has multiple signed artists on a song that isn't even a single (1Train). He signed a 3mil record deal, which basically=his budget. I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest the album was a lot more expensive than Oxymoron which was basically an undershipped Interscope afterthought. If that's not fair than I don't know what is lol.

He was supposed to be Cole/Kendrick level and couldn't outsell Kendrick's hype man...

That's becasu Rocky is transparent as fuck. I mean, you don't have to look further than the kinda names he's calling out and taking shots at at this new "hard" track. They're all "urban" hypbeast fashion brands. Y'all accuse Drake of being soft but Rocky is out here trying to drag BRANDS out. He's appealing to the basest of KTT/Hypebeast 12 year old whiteboys and they're not gonna buy albums and move units brehs.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
arguing with PD about sales lol

fam even quoted Rocky's label deal as his budget for his first album, which was in actuality just over half of that (and not necessarily just for the record).

Let's not forget that his album leaked and he still did incredibly well. Both Oxymoron and Rocky's debut are successes.

Macca

arguing with PD about sales lol

fam even quoted Rocky's label deal as his budget for his first album, which was in actuality just over half of that (and not necessarily just for the record).

Let's not forget that his album leaked and he still did incredibly well. Both Oxymoron and Rocky's debut are successes.
Yup.They ain't no Yelawolf.

DominoKid

listening to Cadillactica now...i think i'm too cynical for this album. realized that somewhere around the 3rd or 4th "I FOUND LIFE"

thabiz

im reposting this shit cause im sure it was slept on. joint music of the highest degree.

cleavage might be beat of the year.

That's becasu Rocky is transparent as fuck. I mean, you don't have to look further than the kinda names he's calling out and taking shots at at this new "hard" track. They're all "urban" hypbeast fashion brands. Y'all accuse Drake of being soft but Rocky is out here trying to drag BRANDS out. He's appealing to the basest of KTT/Hypebeast 12 year old whiteboys and they're not gonna buy albums and move units brehs.

Pretty much summed up my thoughts on ASAP as a whole. Their whole movement is based off the hypebeast culture. I've seen it myself being a member on the website for a while now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is 6 God a diss track to Tyga?

Or classic Drake sublims?
As far as subliminals are concerned, I don't think they exist anymore because 99% of it is general shit talk.

It's what? Pusha and Jay that do them with any sort of finesse? Pusha most recently got deep under Drake and Wayne's skin with those.

JohnDoe

Banned
Theo's new album is dope. Shit reminds me so much of Grace Jones' Nightclubbing for some reason. Will watch the interview later, thanks enzo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom