• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Cadillactica Review:

KRIT's hook game has gotten worse? It seems like it's even worse now. Calling this album predictable would be an understatement. Every song sounds so telegraphed and short sighted given the album's spacey otherworldly themes and imagery. The production doesn't even have the punch or impact I expected, nothing is too offensive, but it has this lack of dynamism that reminds me of when J. Cole mans the boards.

I felt myself nodding off to the album until about track seven. King of the South pretty much perfectly captures the attitude and energy I've come to expect from KRIT when he decides to make bangers. The hook is just as repetitive as the others, but KRIT's pacing and cadence makes it sound somehow more convincing.

The next few tracks sounds like KRIT is trying to emulate his idols (namely Devin the Dude and Dungeon Family) in a fashion that's just too apparent and vapid to really excite me. Mo Better Cool is next track I really felt, once I turned the volume way up. It just knocks, and the features really help solidify the sound KRIT is going for. Devin the Dude really blesses the track with a stellar hook, and the unrestrained bravado of both Big Sant and Bun B help push it as a certified banger. It's a standout track with featured rappers whose strengths come to bare the real weaknesses of the album and arguably KRIT's rapping style as well. KRIT's weak hook game, and desire to create these pseudo-deep soulful anthems yet inability to come with up with anything truly insightful or imaginative really hurt his end product. Angels, the next track that follows, is a microcosm of KRIT's weaknesses.

The album ends on a strong note. Saturdays=Celebrations is the first reflective track that I really enjoyed. Jamie N Common lends a hook that instantly reminded me of the soulful grit of the late Gil Scott -Heron. Lost Generation features KRIT's best hook, and Lupe Fiasco blesses KRIT with a verse that manages to be ironic and self-aware enough to not sound too pedantic while still being a bit preachy. The Mt. Olympus reprisal is more atmospheric and not quite as aggressive sounding, but the layers and pacing of the track is quite effective. It makes it more ethereal sounding and it fits the album's intended sound much better. Lac Lac is a really smooth track, though not all too memorable besides Ferg's cool Bone Thugs flow, still might have been a nice addition to the body of the regular album.

STRONG 6

Cadillactica Review:

KRIT's hook game has gotten worse? It seems like it's even wost now. Calling this album predictable would be an understatement. Every song sounds so telegraphed and short sighted given the album's spacey otherworldly themes and imagery. The production doesn't even have the punch or impact I expected, nothing is too offensive, but it has this lack of dynamism that reminds me of when J. Cole mans the boards.

I felt myself nodding off to the album until about track seven. King of the South pretty much perfectly captures the attitude and energy I've come to expect from KRIT when he decides to make bangers. The hook is just as repetitive as the others, but KRIT's pacing and cadence makes it sound somehow more convincing.

The next few tracks sounds like KRIT is trying to emulate his idols (namely Devin the Dude and Dungeon Family) in a fashion that's just too apparent and vapid to really excite me. Mo Better Cool is next track I really felt, once I turned the volume way up. It just knocks, and the features really help solidify the sound KRIT is going up. Devin the Dude really blesses the track with a stellar hook, and the unrestrained bravado of both Big Sant and Bun B help push it as a certified banger. It's a standout track with featured rappers whose strengths come to bare the real weaknesses of the album and arguably KRIT's rapping style as well. KRIT's weak hook game, and desire to create these pseudo-deep soulful anthems yet inability to come with up with any truly insightful or imaginative really hurt his end product. Angels, the next track that follows, is a microcosm of KRIT"s weaknesses.

The album ends on a strong note. Saturdays=Celebrations is the first reflective track that I really enjoyed. Jamie N Common lends a hook that instantly reminded me of the soulful grit of the late Gil Scott -Heron. Lost Generation features KRIT's best hook, and Lupe Fiasco blesses KRIT with a verse that manages to be ironic and self-aware enough to not sound too pedantic while still being a bit preachy. The Mt. Olympus reprisal is more atmospheric and not quite as aggressive sounding, but the layers and pacing of the track is quite effective. It makes it more ethereal sounding and it fits the album's intended sound much better. Lac Lac is a really smooth track, though not all too memorable besides Ferg's cool Bone Thugs flow, still might have been a nice addition to the body of the regular album.

STRONG 6

Agreed, disappointed. KRIT really needs to get out of his comfort zone for his next project.

damn.... this az. banks album is impressing me

Z4UqVXn.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Damn Shinobi, wat? Is it confirmed a perm? Can't rock with any of that though, nope.

I'm really not tryna listen to that Azalea Banks out of principle. I cannot think of a single artist that tries harder to make themselves unlikeable. Don't even feel like what I have heard from her years ago was memorable really TBH.

overcast

@xdannyxbrownx: Need EL-P beats for my next album or I ain't ****!!!!!

yes pls.
Yeah, this sounds great.
It's always so weird when we agree on music.
Yeah... What the fuck? Don't do that. Worlds collide shit.
Cant really feel sorry for anyone who wants me to just let go one of the largest genocides in history.
I kind of thought it was a joke post at first.

Danny has good taste in kendrick tracks:
@xdannyxbrownx: “@dsdsdsds321: @xdannyxbrownx What's your favorite Kendrick song?”a tie between "Ingnorance is Bliss" & "Cartoons and Cereal"

This whole Twitter thing has been fun to read actually.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What's y'all favourite "Welcome To" song?

Boring answer but Welcome To Atlanta for me, maybe Welcome to NYC as a runner up. I just played the SHIT out of Welcome to Atlanta and it's remixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom