• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man I totally understand how people spend a shit ton of money at the strip club. Had a blast and I spent a spent less than what I expected.

yeah, it's easy to get absorbed into that shit no lie. Haha, this year I've been a lot, but that's because the drinks are cheap so sometimes instead of us going to a bar, we would just hit up a strip club and watch basketball or football there

That Nas>Jay video was so bad, I won't even watch the response video. If Nas and Jay can be friends and are over the beef, I have no business dwelling on it as if I was in highschool again. I enjoy playing around with the rivalry and making jokes/observations but it's never that serious.

There are Nas stans who like Nastradamus brehs, and there are Hov fans who like his last two albums. Both fanbases have their nuts.

I have no idea who Asaad is and I'm not cosigning this, but this beat tho
kttcoliwhew
. I think Irish would appreciate it the most.

Wish someone could do this beat some justice instead of this dude sounding like he's barely awake and probably on mad drugs

Tokubetsu

YG is a mediocre rapper on his best day, but he managed to put out a great album that is fun as hell to listen to. My krazy life will be in my top ten.

Definitely. My Krazy Life is basically one of those affiliate/weed carrier rappers assosciated with one of your favorite 90s rappers. They manage to drop at least one solid album thanks to good guidance but they probably won't do anything of note after.

HiResDes

I think I could name around fifty rap albums I like more than My Krazy Life released this year. People keep saying it has bangers and sure it has three or four good tracks, but as a top ten album you gotta be fucking kidding me. Oxymoron has more enjoyable songs even.

T Dollarz

I think I could name around fifty rap albums I like more than My Krazy Life released this year. People keep saying it has bangers and sure it has three or four good tracks, but as a top ten album you gotta be fucking kidding me. Oxymoron has more enjoyable songs even.

Nooooo. Don't do this to me des. I just listened again last night, I think it's top 10 fo sure. Destroys Oxy.

Tokubetsu

i0qUoDoTzGAt1.png

Courage

Also DJ Mustard lovers are never allowed to use the terms repetitive or one note as criticisms again.

I don't think anyone that likes MKL "loves" DJ Mustard. I personally think they made a great album together that probably won't be this good if they tried to do the same thing.

Unless Mustard is actually gonna learn something new production-wise for his second wave of singles.

Esch

Banned
ive never seen an album get hrd this mad. i hope for nothing more than a Chamillionaire career revival

JwPP3Ku.png

gonna put My Krazy Life in my top 10, just cause

JwPP3Ku.png

Tokubetsu

If MKL had gone straight to bandcamp, and Mustard operated under a nom de plume it'd be a ceritified HRD classic.

"I can see how some would find the beats repetitive but mixed with YG's hard gangster edge they create a more sinister mirror image to the sound DJ Mustard (ugh) has popularized"

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
with some trimming, MKL could have been a solid EP. Then YG could go and float off into the ether to be remembered as that guy that dropped a really solid EP.

Esch

Banned
If MKL had gone straight to bandcamp, and Mustard operated under a nom de plume it'd be a ceritified HRD classic.

"I can see how some would find the beats repetitive but mixed with YG's hard gangster edge they create a more sinister mirror image to the sound DJ Mustard (ugh) has popularized"

"Some may call YG shallow, but what he lacks in depth he compensates with sonic fury. Bombast is the name of the game here, a sonic blitzkrieg powered by an unknown but talented man on the boards riffing cohesively off the simplistic, univariate DJ Mustard template. I daresay the energy exuded here is comparable to the best of MC Eiht and Yung Dildoe."

HiResDes

I hope you're trolling. I'd never use sinister or hard gangster next to YG's name. Nothing sounds convincing on MKL. The gangster songs on the album sound like sad parodies of the original artists he's emulating. The quotes people cite as being memorable are these simple, shallow one liners that seem like plain characterizations of the gangster lifestyle. They're like rap tropes being rapped in a serious manner. People gave Logic shit for cashing in on the GKMC hype and yet whenever someone tried to make the comparison to MKL people got really defensive because it seems to be okay to be a damn hack as long as you remind people of the artists they miss. Everyone was clamoring so much for a good quality West coast album that they'd willingly except the first listenable product that filled the void. My bandcamp surfing and overall steady hip hop intake shouldn't be used as a detractor from my credibility, but rather as a solidifier. If you only listened to twenty albums this year and you slot MKL as number nine or ten does that suggest it's really all that good or could it be that it is in fact quite middling.

JohnDoe

Banned

Damn, you basically just called HRD Gaf-Hops resident Anthony Fantano/P4K.

toku goddamn

still a fan of MKL
enjoyable album. i compare it to mastermind in the sense that it knows what it's doing and it does it very well.

edit: HRD, the Logic criticism had to do with the actual sound and song structure (voice samples/skit etc.)
while the GKMC/MKL comparisons were more in the vein of "oh look he's also telling a story" vs. the actual sound of the songs
(that's how i interpreted it anyway)

Detox

Right now the tape is inspirational, hitting me like TM101

I'm getting similar vibes. Boosie better not go for the 'mainstream' with a ton of features for his album. If he refines most of the content he got here he can make something special.

even I can see the curves on the curtains

HiResDes

You sure? This is GAF-Hop. You should already have a rating ready and a place for it on your albums of the year list.
Yeah because all albums are enigmatic gems just brimming with hidden treasures that can only be accessed and unfolded after weeks of dedicated repeat listens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom