• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
shady cypher dropping monday now
keep pretending like you dont care
then stand and be counted when it's fire
pls

Breh.

I'll go out of my way to listen to a new Em single to kinda shit on it/be part of a zeitgeisty event/etc.

But we talking about a fucking cypher breh. A motherfucking Shady cypher in 2014.

Aint nobody got time for that.

Camp Lo

Banned
shady cypher dropping monday now
keep pretending like you dont care
then stand and be counted when it's fire
pls

Mannnnnnnnn, fuck em
moc7ci0m3uu0.png

If you guys would like to contribute to it, that would be top notch, stuff like when to slice, beat counting tuts or how to put songs together that were uncharacteristically different into a sonically cohesive(kek) crate.

even reading sound waves

No they didn't.

content wise.. alright

production wise.. if you love a mustard orgy.

big ander

my krazy life has like 2 good songs. my n**** and bompton. Maybe left,right. The rest is never egregious, but it's also never good. 90% forgettable record.

No they didn't.

YG has to be the most unremarkable, stale, nondescript rapper in recent memory. Even Jeezy, who I can't stand for similar reasons, has moments where he surprises or entertains you. On track after track YG just exists over the production. When I heard the album it was clear that Doggystyle and other cinematic west coast albums were a major blueprint for this...but nearly all of those classic albums feature dudes who are rapping their asses off over dope beats. The west coast is so well known for dudes with agile flows, whereas this dude is straight up struggling on the mic.

The album isn't bad, thanks to the production carrying it to a degree. But even the production has little long term appeal. Mustard is so repetitive that I can't imagine going back to this. In fact the only song I've played more than a few times is 1AM.

big ander

didn't even list I Just Wanna Party

bish bye

I do like the hook on it, would mildly enjoy it like in the background at a party. actually I like Q's verse pretty well too (tho I am a bit higher on his output this year than most here i think, given every oxy avatar's disappeared).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

YG has to be the most unremarkable, stale, nondescript rapper in recent memory. Even Jeezy, who I can't stand for similar reasons, has moments where he surprises or entertains you. On track after track YG just exists over the production. When I heard the album it was clear that Doggystyle and other cinematic west coast albums were a major blueprint for this...but nearly all of those classic albums feature dudes who are rapping their asses off over dope beats. The west coast is so well known for dudes with agile flows, whereas this dude is straight up struggling on the mic.

The album isn't bad, thanks to the production carrying it to a degree. But even the production has little long term appeal. Mustard is so repetitive that I can't imagine going back to this. In fact the only song I've played more than a few times is 1AM.
And I present Exhibit A of the Spitta Fallacy. Case closed; call it bias and call it a night.

And I present Exhibit A of the Spitta Fallacy. Case closed; call it bias and call it a night.

r5nB6Uw.gif

Sit down, Enzo, and let me give you this L.

Spitta is not a great rapper, I don't believe anyone argues he's a great rapper. Yet Spitta has improved from project to project, and more importantly he rides beats like a fucking champ. Spitta also has dope lines for days. Even back when his flow was questionable he was always saying shit that made me nod along. He has memorable lines, noteworthy bars. I can't think of one thing YG said that stuck with me.

Listen to the My Nigga remix and how every rapper embarrasses him on it, breh. Listen to how he gets lapped on Act Right, and can't perform decently on such an easy beat to ride.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nah, spitta's verses at least feel alive. Subject matter may not be creative but there's energy behind it all.
I don't see what energy Spitta has that you can't find on a song like My N***a or Who Do You Love (two other great songs on My Krazy Life btw). His delivery accentuates and contrasts with the production to create a sort of chiaroscuro effect.

Literally every point there applies perfectly to Spitta:
- unremarkable (has mastery only in the same component of rap nearly everyone including YG does today: flow)
- stale and nondescript (self-evident; Spitta is a hallmark of sterility)
- just exists over production (PD himself and others have praised Spitta's ability to "let the beat breathe" and other excuses for letting the production carry a song while putting a few words over it to make sure your not just selling an instrumental before)
- style blueprinted off of mafioso raps where the predecessors were spitting much harder (don't really take this as a negative either, it would be lamer if they were using the exact same styles of rap and it's good that they take a different approach despite the quality)
- productions carrying projects (Spitta's career and product quality blew up when he got particular production, and that's still primarily the main appeal when he hasn't really gotten any better at rapping since the Cash Money days)

r5nB6Uw.gif

Sit down, Enzo, and let me give you this L.

Spitta is not a great rapper, I don't believe anyone argues he's a great rapper. Yet Spitta has improved from project to project, and more importantly he rides beats like a fucking champ. Spitta also has dope lines for days. Even back when his flow was questionable he was always saying shit that made me nod along. He has memorable lines, noteworthy bars. I can't think of one thing YG said that stuck with me.

Listen to the My Nigga remix and how every rapper embarrasses him on it, breh. Listen to how he gets lapped on Act Right, and can't perform decently on such an easy beat to ride.
YG can ride beats like a champ once in a blue moon too, and actually multiple times on My Krazy Life alone (most of the songs posted on this page and all of the singles he's on point). I will say that Spitta is a lot more consistent in this regard, and more versatile even though he gravitates towards like 2-3 different types of beats instead of like the 1-2 that YG does.

I don't know about memorable lines necessarily, that can vary quite a bit. I don't think either of them have any crazy quotables or anything, but he's got some great lines you can just sing along to. That dark liquor gives me energy

cory64

Foreign precinct rappers need to back up
Quickly, I'mma rip your brain off
Throw it down so the blood can drain off
My hands, while I wave to a fan

A grass rapper, cut him with a lawnmower
Twice, into golden wheat
Ground the rest into moldin meat
And cook em, til they all well done
They not ready, they don't smell done
Like fish, it ain't my favorite dish
I grab a steak and to battle I wish
A Coke MC or Pepsi I'll sip up
Drop your face and bring the other lip up

ibpjAR9rOwLFgD.gif

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Meh, I almost logged into my old KTT account but I guess I'll let y'all know instead that I heard a small snippet of a unreleased Kanye song apparently called "Padded walls" last night.

1. not going to upload it (its like 15-20 seconds anyways)
2. Idk if it'll be on the album and could be a throwaway (it didn't sound exactly finished)
3. heard the tail end of it (person I got the rip from only thought to record the last part of the song >__>).
4. heavy auto tune, upbeat, and crooning for no reason (tail end of the song like I said, but it had a great vibe that really reminded me of lost in the woods).

If that's inline with the sound of the album then I'm not really excited cause it sounds like something previously done already by him. who knows what he'll put out though.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
If you guys would like to contribute to it, that would be top notch, stuff like when to slice, beat counting tuts or how to put songs together that were uncharacteristically different into a sonically cohesive(kek) crate.

even reading sound waves

content wise.. alright

production wise.. if you love a mustard orgy.

Make this shit. I'm trying to learn breh.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Meh, I almost logged into my old KTT account but I guess I'll let y'all know instead that I heard a small snippet of a unreleased Kanye song apparently called "Padded walls" last night.

1. not going to upload it (its like 15-20 seconds anyways)
2. Idk if it'll be on the album and could be a throwaway (it didn't sound exactly finished)
3. heard the tail end of it (person I got the rip from only thought to record the last part of the song >__>).
4. heavy auto tune, upbeat, and crooning for no reason (tail end of the song like I said, but it had a great vibe that really reminded me of lost in the woods).

If that's inline with the sound of the album then I'm not really excited cause it sounds like something previously done already by him. who knows what he'll put out though.
Are you sure it was Kanye?

I feel like every few weeks someone tries to create a fake Ye snippet.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Are you sure it was Kanye?

I feel like every few weeks someone tries to create a fake Ye snippet.

I trust the person who heard the song, and I trust my ears (from what little I heard) but you never know honestly. either it comes out and I can confirm it with the sound bite (if necessary at the point) or it doesn't and whatever, but we'll see.

edit: its not called padded walls. that was misinformation, sorry

YG's album is a pretty fun listen overall, I can go back and enjoy a decent amount of it. YG isn't very good at rapping and he stumbles pretty frequently. Mustard beats are a little samey, so if you don't like his sound then you're best off just not listening.

BPT
Just Wanna Party
Left Right
Bicken Back
My Nigga
Really Be

The first 4 tracks have pretty great cohesion too.

IrishNinja

kinda gone but i thought ya'll was talkin bout young thug for a minute like - for real? but yeah, that bicken back whatever shit wasn't bad

DominoKid

Oh man I totally understand how people spend a shit ton of money at the strip club. Had a blast and I spent a spent less than what I expected.

IrishNinja

video's great; let's talk about everything but MCing

The rap game stopped when he dropped “Ether,” but in hindsight, it was just a personal attack on sexual orientation and looks.

However, in 2014, the two of them are closer lyrically. Life Is Good was a great album, and Jay mails it in from time to time

r5nB6Uw.gif

(uses recent works to show versatility)

"better live show", for real? he was the weakest part of the hard knock tour. i appreciate clickbait but they could've at least used some of jay's body of work somewhere in this mess.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
YG is a mediocre rapper on his best day, but he managed to put out a great album that is fun as hell to listen to. My krazy life will be in my top ten.

YG is a mediocre rapper on his best day, but he managed to put out a great album that is fun as hell to listen to. My krazy life will be in my top ten.

he's an alright rapper but yeah the whole package of that album makes it a top 10 for sure. it's just fun to listen to and has held up pretty well since the summer imo.

also can we safely say that majestad <<< ken masters for OT hip hop posters right now? dude actually made a thread to shit on gangsta boo by analyzing her lyrics....

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
My Krazy Life is gonna end up in the top ten after people were giving me shit for Banco...Y'all are too funny

Someone's gotta balance out all the rap-yodelling death metal trancertrap mariachi tristep love ballad hybrid albums you'll have on yours :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom