• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXI| Five Year Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

TRACKLISTING

1.Mushroom Cloud
2.Pangaea
3.Apex
4.Cold World ft. BJ The Chicago Kid
5.Lost Boy
6.Overhead
7.Permanent
8.You Know
9.Gatekeepers
10.Cleaning House
11.This Man, This Woman ft. Caroline Smith
12.Heal ft. P.O.S.
13.Rebirth ft. Lydia Liza

The first thing that's going to immediately stand is the production on this joint. The live instrumentation is perfectly accented by digital effects to create this lush soundscapes that instantly conjure up audio memories of old school Cunninlynguists, like a southern take on Nujabes. It has this bluesy jazzy feel with an orchestral width that makes it sound so otherworldly and yet so intimate at the same time. However, after a few repeated listens it's to come to appreciate just how deceptively nice the emcee's style actually is. He's perfectly suited for the album. He never "overraps" or tries to overwhelm the tracks, which would be a real bummer on this because the production deserves the spotlight. He just seems like such a down to earth, chilled out, yet intelligent guy. And it comes across in his raps, which consists of meticulously well delivered and paced verses with a great knack for both social and personal awareness.

Strong 7
Downloaded

Cheddahz

Banned
i'm watching the snl performance right now and i can't stop laughing

it seems like kendrick watched the music video for "yonkers" before going on stage and decided to put in some all black contacts, snort a line of cocaine, and just go out there

tde took the l

i'm watching the snl performance right now and i can't stop laughing

it seems like kendrick watched the music video for "yonkers" before going on stage and decided to put in some all black contacts, snort a line of cocaine, and just go out there

tde took the l

Nah. His live performance of i also goes really well with the music video counterpart. The music video in a nutshell is him ignoring all the trash in the world and trying his best to be happy while the world tries to bring him down.

Now the live performance is the same thing. Kendrick looked bummy as hell, his hair all busted, black contacts making him look like he's a heroin fiend and he's out there, but after all of that he's still performing one of his most positive tracks he's released. Dude is singing I love myself while looking the complete opposite
#TheDualities?

I do agree with Esch that he's channeling his predecessors with the performance. I do get the Andre 3k vibes and even Janelle. I also really like Outkast so I'm cool with it. Him going on tour with Kanye really changed his live performances for the better tbh. He learned a lot on how to entertain a crowd.

If you think he went out looking like that for absolutely no reason then you probably just wanted to hate it from the get go instead of actually thinking as to why he did it.

but yea inb4
schoolbags.gif

but yea back to your regular scheduled programs

and hey too much effort in the performance? Probably would've preferred if he did it like this instead.

ive gone full stan and I'm not coming back brehs

Kwixotik

y'all gotta chill

Kenny performing i

YOO THIS NIGGA POSSESSED B

CANT WAIT TO SEE YALL REACTIONS LMAO

spoilers:
B2ieA25CMAAv47v.jpg
Almost choked on my sandwich when I saw this lol.

CunninLynguists show was cool. Kno wasn't there because he was sick and had to leave the tour. But it was a fun show, a lot of interaction. The opening acts were pretty interesting as well, ranging from this guy to an assortment of boom bap dudes to an African guy in a leather dashiki.

dont really like that song but it sounds much better live with the instruments and chorus. dude's tweaking like mad on snl haha
Yup that's a jam record. The studio version sucks the energy out because you can tell everyone except Thundercat is trying to be a technically proficient as possible, recreating the sample without much soul. They should have jammed for an hour, just playing around with the melody of Who's That Lady, and then recorded a final version that had some newness to it.

Esch

Banned
Kendrick's biggest ? has always been one of identity or persona. When you look at him, who do you see? And this is why I think certain fans like don't really buy into him that much. The dudes who look for father figures like Pac and Kanye stans aren't from what I've seen. He doesn't have the charisma, the presence. He's pretty much just a normal guy who raps and writes really well. But he can't stay that way as he continues to blow up; the money, fame and people are going to change him. And you can see in that video he's developing. I just don't care for that lane at all personally.

mooooose

I think people liked Ferg last year because it was a "trendy" thing to do and he had dope features and now Ferg's doing some Ferg type shit that isn't dark and spacy and no one is fucking with it.

HiResDes

I think people liked Ferg last year because it was a "trendy" thing to do and he had dope features and now Ferg's doing some Ferg type shit that isn't dark and spacy and no one is fucking with it.
People liked Ferg because he put out a good album, not everyone is a fucking hypebeast giving into shit just because it's trendy or hip. Some people like things because they think they are good. The anti hipster witch hunt needs to stop.

Courage

That Kendrick performance is pretty cringeworthy. He picked the worst song to show a wacky/crazy persona.

People liked Ferg because he put out a good album, not everyone is a fucking hypebeast giving into shit just because it's trendy or hip. Some people like things because they think they are good. The anti hipster witch hunt needs to stop.

Preach.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

going back and listening to the ferg album, its better than i remember. but i still don't get what the hype was around. it was an average album imo.

edit:
Cocaine castle is still my shit though.

HiResDes

To you maybe, but for me it's an album with one of the most consistent vibes and very little come down at all... Just banger after banger.

Courage

Even the slower songs like Hood Pope just exude enthusiasm and fun vibes. It's got very high replayability. I maybe listen to it once a month.

Vorheez

Even the slower songs like Hood Pope just exude enthusiasm and fun vibes. It's got very high replayability. I maybe listen to it once a month.
Yeah, this is what I was trying to articulate earlier when I said I didn't like the new tracks. They lack, as you put it, enthusiasm and fun vibes.

DominoKid

if that Cole thing really is an album then now's a good time for him to strike cause it's wide open. he could have a good lil run up until the spring when Drake drops if he comes correct.

overcast

Some great additions. Happy for Danny. Wait, a song featuring Action? Am I tripping or is that brand new?
A$AP Ferg - Doe Active

Ferg on his Ghetto Symphony shit.

Shoutouts to my niggas with bad acne.
Pretty lame. I've only liked that first song.
Yup, nicely said des. Matter of fact, I just listened to the album yesterday.
Kendrick is em brehs
What does this even mean?

Cole bout to do it big?

adK1wAC.jpg

"DJ Dahi, Timbaland, Organized Noise, Hit Boy, Mustard, Jake One, London On Da Track, and probably others are coproducing.
It's apparently a lot more aggressive.
That's all we know
May have Hov and Nas on it but nothing confirmed."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom